Concerns about court successes

skipsey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been reading through the forums/FAQs and have got to the stage of requesting my statements from Barclays and totting up the charges.

I've got a couple of concerns before I get any further.

Has Barclays actually settled in full with anyone? Has anyone taken them to court yet and been successful?

I'm a little concerned at the number of people here who post messages along the lines of "Keep going, they'll definitely pay up when you take them to court and if not you'll definitely win. Keep us posted". It seems like these are people who are too scared to go through with this themselves and are egging others on to go first, I'm not sure how helpful that is. How many of these cases against ANY organisation have actually gone the whole way in court in favour of the prosecuting party?

Cheers!

I'm a little concerned at the number of people here who post messages along the lines of "Keep going, they'll definitely pay up when you take them to court and if not you'll definitely win. Keep us posted". It seems like these are people who are too scared to go through with this themselves and are egging others on to go first, I'm not sure how helpful that is. How many of these cases against ANY organisation have actually gone the whole way in court in favour of the prosecuting party?

I think you have got the wrong end ofthe stick here. The people "egging" others on are mainly those who have been through the systemand have ALREADY had their charges refunded IN FULL. I am one of those people.

If you look in the litigation concluded section,you will see a considerable list of people who have succeeded. No one has gone to court yet, cos they havent had to, the banks have always settled before it actually got to court.

I can understand your concerns but hopefully I have reassured you.

Natalie

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

If you actually read a lot of the posts from the forum and look at the signatures at the end of each you will see that a lot of people are in the process or have got their money back. No-one is to scared or egging anyone one! Quite honestly I find your post offensive to all those that are helping on here.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

You're very easily offended!

My concern relates specifically to Barclays settlements; I can see that people have recieved full settlements from other organisations, but I can't find any mention of anyone getting the 'full whack' from Barclays. Can anyone point me to a thread that shows otherwise so I can get some pointers?

There is the survey here, http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/surveyresults.php

which tells you how many people have had a settlement from each bank, a total of over £20k returned by Barclays!

If you want specifics then you will need to have a look through the Barclays forum

Natalie

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

I filed with MCOL against Barclays today.

I see your point. They havnt paid out much yet and they are certainly pushing every claim right to the last possible point clearly to put people off.

There are dozens of claims pending at court and I anticipate that before long they will have to either go to court or pay out and we all know what they will do.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

That table isn't very clear on when the payments were made and what % of the amount claimed was returned. Might it be that many of these figures are from people who've settled at 50%?

Obviously what I'm getting at here is; how far do Barclays need to be pushed in order for one to recieve a full refund of charges? I'm getting the impression that it's pretty far, and I'm not even sure it's happened at all yet.

Just becasue other organisations have coughed up quickly doesn't mean that Barclays won't take this all the way and possibly win. I'm sure everyone here must feel that this process we're following can't go on forever, it just wouldn't be allowed to happen. The amounts of money the banks stand to lose would astronomical, and I wouldn't mind betting they'll win in the end. I think if any of us are going to succeed we need to do it early, as when the floodgates open and the claims pour in you can be sure they'll be quickly closed.

i have just sent moneyclaim off today and i am prepared to go all the way with barclays, i think people need to be prepared to go to court and read up as much as possible. let me at em.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

That table isn't very clear on when the payments were made and what % of the amount claimed was returned. Might it be that many of these figures are from people who've settled at 50%?

Obviously what I'm getting at here is; how far do Barclays need to be pushed in order for one to recieve a full refund of charges? I'm getting the impression that it's pretty far, and I'm not even sure it's happened at all yet.

Just becasue other organisations have coughed up quickly doesn't mean that Barclays won't take this all the way and possibly win. I'm sure everyone here must feel that this process we're following can't go on forever, it just wouldn't be allowed to happen. The amounts of money the banks stand to lose would astronomical, and I wouldn't mind betting they'll win in the end. I think if any of us are going to succeed we need to do it early, as when the floodgates open and the claims pour in you can be sure they'll be quickly closed.

The fact is that they have not, as yet, defended a case in court. When they do it will be openly reported on this forum, in the same way that the two recent Abbey set-aside hearings were, and the one NatWest case was.

If you feel uneasy about claiming then that is up to you. The stories of other peoples claims are there for all to see, along with the pitfalls that sometimes come with these claims.

Simply this forum is an exchange of information - and if, as you suggest, they win in the end, you will learn about it on this forum within minutes of it happening.

My opinion is that the banks will slowly reduce the charges over the next 12 months or so, as they do this the number of claims will slowly drop off.

In the meantime they will continue paying out to the percentage of people who have the staying power to go all the way - whilst doing everything they can to put people off, and try and get them to settle for a percentage offer.

Hi all,

I've been reading through the forums/FAQs and have got to the stage of requesting my statements from Barclays and totting up the charges.

I've got a couple of concerns before I get any further.

Has Barclays actually settled in full with anyone? Has anyone taken them to court yet and been successful?

Cheers!

not too scared here and not being egged on in here (apart from the wife wanting to spend the money). i wish my court date could come sooner but it is Barclays that is holding everyone up thay are going to wait til the last minute. in my area the courts have told me it could be up to 15 weeks for my court date due to the increase in people making small claims ( i wonder why) so the longer barclays hold on to your money the more profit they make

Data Protection Act sent 10/03/06.....1st request 25/03/06.....LBA letter 10/04/06

Claim No : 6RG02794

Reading County Court £1,616.26 + interest

Served on : 27 April 2006

Acknowledged : 3rd May 2006

defence submitted by 24th May 2006

Allocation Questionnaire submitted 5th June

Court Hearing : 2nd October 2006

SETTLED OUT OF COURT 12/09/06

in my area the courts have told me it could be up to 15 weeks for my court date due to the increase in people making small claims ( i wonder why) so the longer barclays hold on to your money the more profit they make

Not pure profit though, you will be making more than they will on that money as the 8% interest keeps going up too.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

As I've said before, banks are a procrastinating bunch of sh*tes who will do everything they can to pay avoid out money, after all thats waht they are all about GENERATING PROFIT. Banks are not a charity, they exist purely to create wealth for those involved, at the expense of everybody else.

Even if it costs them money to hold out to the bitter end, they will do it. If they cave in at the first meek prelim letter, what hope have they got?

The fact that it costs them money to hold onto your money is irrelevent (sp?).

The employees involved are all paid to be there anyway irrespective of your claim.

Said employees are all looking after No1, to climb the corporate ladder. How would it look if they succumbed to claims at the first step? Not too good on their CV eh?

Go for it mate.

If memory serves me correctly there are at least a dozen Barclays cases waiting to get a court date and probably as many just about to get to the 28 days limit for defense.

I suspect the picture will look very different in a months time?

I just had a letter from Barclays today saying they're sorry I haven't accepted a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill and they're also sorry to hear I will be proceeding to County Court. I must admit, unlike HSBC, Barclays seem to leave things 'till the last minute. In their first letter they said they will respond to my prelim letter no later than 1st June and guess what? They replied with a letter dated 1st June!!

If they're pushing things 'till the end so should we!! Push them 'till you squeeze your money out of 'em. If anyone is worried about going to court, I think there's more than enough backing and support on this forum. Stories of people like us taking banks to court is all over TV and radio stations. IT's NOW OR NEVER!!!

Barclays - claiming £1082 - prem letter sent 3/5/06.

HSBC - claiming £744 - £320 offered 2/5/06. No gracias!

Sorry,i have to pick up on this:

I'm sure everyone here must feel that this process we're following can't go on forever, it just wouldn't be allowed to happen.

Everyone? I doubt it.

Why "wouldn't it be allowed to happen"? It's not a loophole, it's not a get-it-quick scheme, it's LAW.

At this stage, the ONLY way for "it" to stop is by an Act of Parliament.

The amounts of money the banks stand to lose would astronomical

Actually, minimal. A drop in the ocean compared to their huge profits. Remember that they might make 4 billions off charges, but only a very very small minority will actually seek to recover theirs. Never understimate the power of apathy.

I think if any of us are going to succeed we need to do it early, as when the floodgates open and the claims pour in you can be sure they'll be quickly closed.

Not unless they have a time machine to erase law cases of 1896, 1915, and a few more other throughout the last 120 or so years.

Barclays are taking things as far as they can, or so it seems.

The survey does indeed show that barclays have paid out £20K but as Skipsey correctly points out, there are few (in fact i dont recall seeing any) threads which have been settled in FULL in the Barclays section. There are now in excess of 30 either awaiting the court date or have a date.

It is nerve racking waiting especially if you are very short on cash or the thought of actually sitting down face to face with the evil machine scares the living **** out of you, but it appears that their defence is all the same and when one wins the rest will follow.

Someone has to be first and when they are it will be reported on here one way or another.

Natwest eventually paid up in full which has strengthened my backbone:D for the others including Barclays.

Some of the newbies will be needing lots of encouragement and there are a lot of posts now so it can take a long while to find the positive threads. especially in the Barclays section!!!

Bank Claim Result

NatWest £2051 UnGagged myself. They paid up in full:D

Barclays £641.81 Settled in full.:D

MBNA AOL £390 account credited

MBNA Card £880 account credited

MBNA Loan £115 LBA 03/07

Could everyone also take into account that Barclays may be fully settling, but with disclosure agreements. Now i know a lot of people on here wouldn't sign a confidentiality clause, but some people will and they obviously cannot post their good fortune up on here or, are not willing to.

I know it is a shame, but I expect a few cases have been settled in full by Barclays but we just have not heard about them.

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Hi all!:p

Its really interesting to read all of your entries! I've recently sent my letter asking for £2400 back from Barclays and have received a standard letter promising a response by 27th June! From your entries it looks like they'll say they're defending but hey, ho - i'm going to go for it! Members of my family have had their charges refunded 100% by HSBC and capital one, so Barclays can only follow suit with a bit of pressure!!!

I'll keep you updated!

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I am now at the allocation questionnaire stage as they entered a defence on (as i had expected) the last day ie 28 days from when they were served with my claim (4th October 2006), I am now waiting for them to respond to an email but don't hold my breath. I have until the 23rd oct to get the allocation questionnaire in so am going to wait until then until I do because you can bet your life they will. It is a long process but it will be worth it in the end. Leterr before actions have also gone to Lloyds TSB and Capital One too Bring it on. With my refund from Barclays when it comes i will then use it to pay £126 to get copies of my Barclaycard statements then the will have it too.

Bring it on.

Tanzarelli

I sent my SAR and Barclaycard replied within 7-10 days.

However, they will use that microfiche argument about not having to provide statements prior to 2004. Is that why you are going to request 'copy statements'?

R

o---------------------------------------------------

Barclaycard & Barclays Bank Done! :whoo:

The journey back to a decent credit file is much longer than the path it took to ruin it!

Just to add to the list... I've had a full settlement from Barclays last year for over £1000 and I have a 2nd case open against them now for another £1000, only this time I didn't waste my time and effort with any letters. They know they are in the wrong and I mean business so I just told them the score in the claim, only a few more days and I'll be starting a default judgement as they've obviously taken my comments to heart and have not bothered replying at all this time (unless they are leaving it until the last minute). I know other people who don't bother with the letters either and they have always won.

I've also got charges removed from a Smile account I had, (I told them to close it as I didn't need it anyway) they charged me £65 for a letter I think it was and some other charge so it amounted to about £90 but no case required for that, I just sent them an online message from the banking site.

I've had 1 more charge since opening the 2nd Barclays case so I'm just going to call them to get that refunded. Once the current one is sorted I'll start work on a number of other ones.