• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Whiskas v Nationwide

whiskas
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there...I'm new to this forum. Only discovered yesterday the fact that I can re-claim my bank charges and after hours spent pouring over this website I have decided to go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained eh! Am just setting off to the post office now to post my letter requesting 6 years worth of statements from Nationwide. I have no idea what my charges will amount to but last month alone they were £34! Anyway just wanted to say Hi and what a fantastic and informative forum this is.

Just one question...I currently have a £1430 overdraft which I am reducing every month by £60, do you think when I open a 'parachute account' I have much chance of getting such a big overdraft? I earn £19k a year so surely that will stand me in good stead? It's just I have heard nationwide close accounts after they have paid up so wanna be prepared. cheers.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the forum Whiskas.

I would suggest you open a parachute account first, whcih gives you an option in case they call in your OD.

The first thing you need to do is find your relevant banks forum and start your own thread in there.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/

The process that you will follow is relatively easy but IS NOT a get rich quick scheme. Spend time reading the FAQ pages as this will stop you making mistakes along the way, and is the most important part. Read as many threads as your eyes will allow, you will gain invaluable knowledge which will give you the confidence you need. This is a SELF HELP site and won’t do the work involved for you. However, everything you need is on here somewhere.

This site is all about EMPOWERMENT and you will gain the confidence that you will need. The excellent A-Z guide compiled by Michael is a fantastic source of information.

But remember, this isn’t a game. You are taking on large institutions which MAY lead to court, but you do need to be prepared.

Everyone is very friendly and keen to help. Dave and Bankfodder have done a great job in producing the site, and all the moderators, helpers and current users really are a very nice bunch.

Please also understand that any advice that you receive is normally based on experience and expert advice should be sought if needed.

I have put some useful links onto the thread that you can refer to when needed.

Good luck. See you at the other end……

Some useful links..

FAQ's

Step by Step Guide

If you wish to make a Donation

A-Z Guide

Making Posts

Start a thread

Letter Template Library

Rejection Of Settlement / Good Will Gestures

Interest Spreadsheets

Contractual Spreadsheet

Court N1 Form

Court Bundle

Preparing a Court Bundle

Bank Contact Details

Moneyclaim Online

AQ Guide to Completion

Court Fees

Data Protection non Compliance

Witness Statements for Court Bundle

Banking Code Website

Limitations Act

Fast Track Costs

Scottish Procedure

Scotland Forum

Hi Whiskas,

Welcome to the forum.

You seem to be up to speed with it all.

Here are a few links that might help you;

Read these for a guide and a bit of inspiration;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide-successes/

Then start a thread via this link;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=46

Also please read these and use the template letters.

Thanks so much. Wow there isn't a shortage of reading material! Reading the success stories really give me confidence I can do it too. It's just a question of persistence and not letting the bank intimidate me. I am going to take it all the way and if I have to send the bailiffs into the branch to collect my cash I will do it! Does anyone know the general success rate? Is it pretty much a dead cert you will give some if not all your cash back with most banks providing you follow the procedure? I can't seem to find any reference to anyone that's lost. Thanks so much for the welcome, have sent letter off now recorded delivery to my bank. Can't wait to get the statements as I have no idea how much (or little) I am looking at. Good luck to everyone.

Hi, just started this procedure today, have posted off request for statements, can't wait to get cracking!

Just wondered if doing this will affect credit rating? Any ideas anyone?

Hoping to re-mortgage in December 07 and don't want this to prevent me. I can't imagine how it could but you never know. ANy thoughts appreciated.

Hi, I have started the ball rolling today to re-claim my bank charges against Nationwide (sent of letter requesting statements of charges). Just wondering if completing this process will affect my credit rating? Hoping to re-mortgage later on in the year and don't want this to put a spanner in the works! Can't see how it can but you never know!

Any ideas?

Hi, just started this procedure today, have posted off request for statements, can't wait to get cracking!

Just wondered if doing this will affect credit rating? Any ideas anyone?

Hoping to re-mortgage in December 07 and don't want this to prevent me. I can't imagine how it could but you never know. ANy thoughts appreciated.

No it will not affect your credit rating.

Not really, any details re the charges (unpaid?) will already appear on your credit rating. Depending on your situation you may be able to get the default removed, particularly if it is soley relating to charges.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Hi, I currenlty have an overdraft of £1400 and need to open a parachute account, I need this kind of overdraft facility (just in case Nationwide decide to ask me to repay theirs prior to settlement). I earn £19k a year so it shouldn't be a problem should it? Which bank? Cheers for any advice.

I think any bank of your choice would offer you an overdraft, depending on your credit rating! I would be looking for 1 with the biggest "no fee" overdraft. Also they are all talking about charging for a current account now. First Direct have already started charging if you don't meet the requirements i.e. pay in less than £1500 a month or don't have one of their other products (loan,cc, etc). I went for a parachute account with Citibank with a fee free £500 overdraft, well that was a month ago, they said the account has been approved but I still haven't had the welcome pack etc. In the meantime I have already succesfully claimed against FD and didn,t need the account anyway. I would do a bit of searching for one that suits your needs! Good Luck:)

First Direct ** WON ** :p

The account you are accpepted for and overdraft given (if any) will depend on your credit history.

In my opinion, I doubt any bank will give you a £1400 overdraft straightaway as a new customer. But again that depends on how good your credit is.

If credit history is a problem, many banks offer a basic account such as the NatWest Step account or the Halifax Card Cash, although these accounts do not offer facilities such as cheque books or an overdraft.

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

• 1 month later...

Hi there, just need some advice please:

I have received my 6 years worth of statements and am about to prepare my preliminary letter. My claim only amounts to 775.00 but I am claiming anyway as that money will really help out. The thing is...the more I read about adding the interest the more I am confused. :confused:

I keep seeing 8% quoted then 24.9%...which one can you claim and what is the difference? I appreciate there is stacks of info on the site but to be honest I am utterly confused.

So, would I just ask for my 775.00 + 8%

Do you ask for the interest in the preliminary letter? I have read conflicting advice on this.

Can anyone help me with this as I am going round in circles. Thanks so much in advance.

The 8% is judicial interest and should not be mentioned in either the prelim or lba or in the spreadsheets, this only gets claimed when you file at court and only if they dont offer full settlement before filing.

If you are to claim for contractual interest then this needs to be mentioned in both the prelim and the lba but beware of this as they will almost certainly defend this claim and you would need to fully understand the reasons for claiming this.

Hope this clarifies it for you, good luck.

Guest Mumofthreeboys

24.9% would probably be contractual interest, which frankly you need to do a lot of reading up about before claiming.

You are much better off claiming your charges plus 8% (which is added only when you file a claim at court).

Whiskas

Find the right spreadsheet in the bank templates library

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

The spreadsheet automatically calculates the 8% interest for you, you just enter all the details of dates and charges. If the charge goes back nearly 6 years then that's 48% extra due back to you. This is only fair, because the bank has been 'looking after your money' all that time since they took it without your permission, and they would charge you interest for every day that you looked after their money! :lol:

However, you don't include this 8% interest in the figure you ask back from them, nor do you send the 8% calculations with the spreadsheet details that go with the Preliminary Letter and the Letter Before Action. The 8% only becomes part of the claim if they don't settle early and you make an application to the court.

Have a go at this and it should become clearer. If you need more help then, reply to this thread and ask us. Good luck with it.

Varangian Guard

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I understand now. I won't be even mentioning interest in my preliminary letter now but understand how to work it out when/if I need to.

The spreadsheet is excellent - will start filling it in now.

Thanks again, what a great forum this is!

hi whiskers,

its really hard when you are faced with the spreadsheet, knowing what to do and actually doing it!!!

took me ages i know and with loads of help from guys on here.. they were more or less taking me through step by step - maybe check out my thread and you can see for yourself could maybe answer some underlying questions you may have.. they were of great help to me and got me through..

there is always someone on here that will help if they can its always worth asking at any time day or night ~

you never know who might be out there!!

good luck :)

Hi I am trying to find a parachute account in case Nationwide close mine when I make my claim. It's not a huge claim but I want to be ready if they do. The thing is my current overdraft is £1300 which I am currently reducing by £60 a month (at nationwide's request). It's unlikely I will find a parachute account who will offer this amount overdraft. What have you done in this situation? I presume my "winnings" will have to cover the overdraft (only claiming £750.00) and then at least I will have a new account with a smaller overdraft. A bit confuzzled. Anyone found a bank that will offer a reasonable size one?

HEY DONT WORRY WHISKERS,,,

GO TO NAT WEST.. i opened an account there in 10 mins.. easy!!!

i got a step account, all i needed to show them was 2 statements from bank account,(i couldnt use mine as nationwide always address me as MR not MRS) so you can also show passport, utility bill, driving licence.. THATS IT!!

step account is basic account with a hole in the wall card,,

BRILLIANT!! :D

if i have been of any help please add to my reputation point by clicking middle icon bottom left Thank You

Thanks for that. I was more concerned about overdrafts...I have quite a big one at the moment which I am up to the limit with and am worried I won't be able to get an equally big one when I swap accounts.

i think you usally have to have an account for an amount of time before they offer you an overdraft.. but i found nat west to be really approachable and in these days of bank hardship im sure they will be wanting your custom.. go to nat west and say what you are wanting.. you never know~ you might get it !! good luck :)

hi whiskas, i also found it very easy to open an account with the halifax, so you have a couple of options, although maybe it's safer keeping it under your bed:eek: best of luck x

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP OTHERS, WHEN YOU WIN YOUR CLAIM GIVE A LITTLE BACK

Nationwide **WON**- £3,880.00 14/03/07

Nationwide Claim 2 LBA sent 13/03/07