News : Are your bank account details about to be given away?

jellybabe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

don't know if this has been entered on this webiste already, but i thought i show you what i just found on the "annualcreditreport.co.uk" website.

The Government is looking to allow banks to provide details of 33 million bank accounts to credit reference agencies, despite not having your consent to do so.

The Government is considering changing the law to allow the banks to hand over the details, as it believes that this will help to tackle over-indebtedness.

We firmly believe that this flies in the face of banking confidentiality, drives a coach and horses through the protections given to consumers by the Data Protection Acts, and is in contravention of human rights of privacy.

We have launched a campaign to challenge this proposal. It gives you the chance to tell the Prime Minister directly that you do not want your personal information shared with others without your consent.

Click here to sign the petition. You will be directed to the relevant page on the website of 10 Downing Street.

This is an important issue for many people. If you agree with our thoughts, please ask your friends and family also to sign the petition.

I will certainly have a go at it.Sorry, if anyone else already entered this.

jellybabe

This is shocking! What next!?

Listen to this pious nonsense: "The Government is considering to what extent the legal barrier to the sharing of credit data held on “non-consensual” accounts could be adjusted to enable the sharing of this data, where it is proportionate, and subject to the appropriate safeguards. This would help lenders to identify the full spread of a consumer’s credit commitments when making responsible lending decisions. Achieving this policy aim would require providing an express legal basis for the sharing of certain data on these accounts, without the account holder’s consent, for responsible lending purposes." (http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file34513.pdf)

I signed and emailed all my contacts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do not, for one minute, believe that our financial details would used only for "responsible lending" purposes. Who do they think they are kidding?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Petition duly signed, and forwarded to all my contacts.

This is disgraceful!

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

Guest ian cognito

Hang on a minute - what planet are you lot living on?

The banks already share all our personal data with the CRA's, you can't have a bank account without agreeing to let them do so and you can't stop them whether you have a live contract with them or not, they will continue to process your data long after you request them to stop, if it's incorrect they'll process it anyway, the CRA's won't listen to anything you say to them and the Data Protection Act has that many holes in it, you could use it as a sieve.

Rant over but big brother is already here!!!

Guest ian cognito

The difference is, they won't need your permission, but it's impossible to open a bank account now without giving your permission - so what is the difference?

The difference I can imagine is that you would give carte blanche authority to divulge your info - opening up the flood gates for spam/junk-o-rama rather than specific and relevant authority as we do now?

Maybe?

:confused:

The fact that big brother is already here shouldn't stop us from registering our protest at this development. You are right janquinny; they have us under the magnifying glass, but it's creeping me out that the government would wish to have "their" rights protected by statue, whilst ours are ****ed upon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest ian cognito

I think it's horrendous that profit making organisations should be allowed to manage personal information when their actions are obviously going to be profit driven, all I'm saying is that this bill will make very little difference - except that i've read somewhere it will bring with it more serious penalties for mis-use of personal data.

I will probably get my head bitten off for this but I would be much happier if we had ONE agency, operated by central government.

This is all about banks sharing info with credit reference agencies in a bid by the government to reduce serious debt - why should this impact on the amount of junk/spam we already get?

i just think that along with our personal (financial) information being shared by all and sundry, we'll be bombarded by every companies junk mail/calls//unsolicited offers instead of the ones we currently inadvertently agree to!

i hope that whomever is tasked with policing the possible missuse of data is blessed with more teeth than our current authorities.

Agree that it should be one body instead of many private and commercially motivated limbs.