Daughters 'approved' Land Rover/Blackhorse, trading as Land Rover Financial Servs - Bad Tyres/Arches - 'Almost New' & 165 Point Inspection!!

Evening folks,

I'm seeking advice and possibly some support regarding a troubling experience my daughter has had with an approved used Land Rover Discovery Sport purchased from a Land Rover garage.

Here's a rundown of what happened:

My daughter purchased a 2019 Discovery Sport from an LR garage, for the first three months, everything seemed fine.

However, a suspension fault suddenly appeared, accompanied by a grinding sound from the NSF wheel when turning full lock. We promptly contacted the garage, who directed us to the warranty company. Despite assurances that we could book the car with any service provider, getting it looked at promptly was a nightmare. Our local LR garage couldn't even see us for three weeks, and when we requested a courtesy car, it became a drawn-out ordeal.

Eventually, after much back-and-forth, a courtesy car was arranged, but my daughter was uncomfortable driving it due to safety concerns related to the issues with our Discovery Sport. The AA inspection confirmed her fears, advising against using the vehicle and noting damage to the tyres due to the suspension fault and loose arch liners.

After 4.5 weeks, the suspension fault was finally rectified. However, we're now being told that all the arch liners are loose or missing clips, causing damage to the tyres. Shockingly, we've been informed that this damage isn't covered, despite the issues originating from the vehicle and not due to normal wear and tear.

This begs the question:

How can a car described as 'Almost New,' having undergone a thorough 165-point inspection, have such significant issues merely months into ownership? Would cracked, worn tyres with minimal tread and missing, damaged, and loose wheel arch liners be considered 'Almost New' to anyone else?

We're at a loss here.

My daughter loves the car and wants it back, but understandably, she wants it to be in proper working order.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation with an approved used Land Rover?

Any advice, insights, or support would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When did you buy it?
When did the faults first manifest themselves?
How is did you pay for the car?
Have you had an independent inspection done now?
Do you have a quotation for the repairs which it needs now?

• dx100uk changed the title to Daughters 'Approved Used Land Rover' - 'Almost New' & 165 Point Inspection
  • dx100uk changed the title to Daughters 'Approved Used Land Rover' - cracked, minimal tread/worn tyres - missing/damaged/loose wheel arch liners- is this 'Almost New' & 165 Point Inspection

Topic title has been amended for clarity.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Posted (edited)

She's had a reply from the garage:

The rear tyres are fine at 3mm, the slight cracking isn’t an issue, I wouldn’t be recommending these to be replaced based on that alone.

The OSF tyre is at 5mm according to the video so that’s also fine. The NSF tyre appears to have some damage to the tread and although its mainly cosmetic, I can see why they have recommended that tyre. So you need 1 NSF tyre and the wheel arch liners refitting/replacing. - The video shows chunks missing from the tyre at both edges (inner/outer). 

I’ve looked at the history on the car and can’t see any reason for the wheel arch liners to have been touched. They are not serviceable items so I cant see any reason other than a manufacturing fault for them to be in this condition.

I take it your car is still with the retailer, if so, ask them to submit a goodwill case to JLR. I am happy for them to contact me direct for any support with getting your car sorted. - He knows where the car is, but wants my daughter to contact them and tell them to submit a goodwill gesture

They will replace one tyre and the arch liners, but that means the other 3 tyres are cracked and worn, and the front will have a new tyre and another with ~5mm tread. Thus, causing uneven wear on the new tyre. He mentioned they will put the issues right as a gesture of goodwill, yet there is an admittance of a manufacturer's fault. I am baffled.

Surely, they should be putting it right, and as a gesture of goodwill and apology, they should be replacing the other front tyre and possibly the rear tyre. Especially as one of the rear liners is damaged and has been rubbing on the tyre's inner wall. 

Purchased - October 30th 2023

Faults displayed February 2024

Paid £4,000 deposit and the remainder on PCP

Independent inspection was carried out by AA but on behalf of LR.

The vehicle is currently in the LR garage, and we have had a video from LR describing the faults.

The LR garage it is in with isn't the garage we purchased from and whilst its an LR garage, its part of a different franchise to the one we purchased from.

Edited by ShepCobain

so not even her car, it's owned by the PCP company who is?

have you informed them at all about what is going on?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Daughters 'approved' Land Rover/Blackhorse, trading as Land Rover Financial Servs - Bad Tyres/Arches - 'Almost New' & 165 Point Inspection!!

i would be getting them onboard ASAP.

title updated

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Land Rover Truro initially agreed to cover the costs of tyres, rear bumper insert replacement, and arch liners by requesting a quote from Inchcape Land Rover. However, upon receipt of the quote, they committed to covering only one tyre, the bumper insert, and arch liners (due to the high cost). Despite this, Inchcape proceeded to order the parts but insisted on payment for consumables and labor before fitting them, a process that Land Rover Truro is delaying.

In the midst of this, Land Rover Assist demanded the return of the courtesy car, claiming the vehicle had been repaired, although the damaged tyre and arch liners had not been replaced yet. Despite explanations, Land Rover Assist threatened repossession, even though the hire car is not owned by my daughter, so not sure how it can be reposseed?

Communication between Inchcape, Truro, and Land Rover Assist has been poor, with conflicting information exacerbating the situation. Although Land Rover Assist initially agreed to extend the courtesy car arrangement based on Truro's assurance of payment, bailiffs acting on behalf of Land Rover Assist and the AA phoned my daughter today whilst on holiday, claiming she has refused to return the vehicle and alleging breach of agreement. She yet again explained the situation and they said they would deal with it.

Upon returning home, there was a letter from Land Rover Assist dated March 28th threatened fines if the vehicle was not returned by the 30th. Due to the Easter weekend, she only received this today. However, this letter was received after communication with Land Rover Assist on the same day, suggesting a lack of coordination within the organisation.

Attempts to seek assistance from Jaguar Land Rover customer services and Vertu Land Rover Truro have been unfruitful. While Inchcape has been helpful, they are not liable for the situation and are only supporting with the repair. The frustration is compounded by an email received by Vertu Land Rover stating the following: with the banner stating "You can't tell its used, when its Land Rover Approved".

Considering the purchase was made through a PCP agreement with LR Financial Services, contacting the finance company might be the next step, although their effectiveness remains uncertain. Despite the challenges, exploring legal avenues or consumer protection mechanisms could offer recourse in this frustrating situation. Do you have any suggestions - other than mocking her for buying a Land Rover?

no-one can fine you anything and no bailiffs can EVER be involved until a court has adjudged against you.

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF. neither is a guy with a flatbed truck.

you should already have contacted blackhorse when advised weeks ago......

and they

Update:

We escalated the complaint to JLR FS. They have notified Vertu Garage (where it was purchased) of the complaint and have been in touch with the Land Rover garage in Preston (Inchcape) to find out whats happened, and the current status of the vehicle. From our understanding, Inchcape have confirmed what we have said and have fed this back to JLR FS. 

JLR FS have asked what we want by way of an outcome, we said for the vehicle to be in the condition it was described at the time of sale and for all four tyres to be replaced, the rear bumper to be fixed, the door cards to be fitted correctly, the arch liners fixed/replaced and the suspension fault rectified. 

Vertu agreed to only do one tyre, and before we had chance to reply, they sent another email 1 hour later saying they would do the two front tyres. We didn't accept this and said we wanted all four replaced, however, we haven't had any response 5 days.

We have reached out to them 3 times, with no reply. Inchcape has chased them as they expect payment for the works they have already carried out and have asked for Vertu to cover the two front tyres. They too haven't heard anything. 

JLR FS have said it will take upto 8 weeks to receive an outcome of the complaint and should we not be satisfied with their response, we can take it to the Financial Ombudsman

What are your thoughts and should I do anything else at this stage?