• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot/Wescot - old lloyds Personal Loan

Petebob

Hello folks,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks to the guys who set this forum up.

There's a hell of a lot of info on here and from what I've read some good folk offering their time and advice.

I'll try and keep this short :)

BLS want me to pay an Overdraft which I believe isn't my fault.

I had some trouble with my blood and consequently had to give up work.

Shortly before everything went to pot I made an appointment with my branch.

Let's just say they weren't helpful at all.

There wasn't enough money in my account for my Loan DD to go out but the money was debited from my account anyway, instantly making me overdrawn. But strangely a DD for a mobile bill bounced (as I thought it should).

I called collections who didn't really know as it wasn't forwarded to them yet so they couldn't help.

They kept taking the DD and sticking on interest.

Unfortunately due to being admitted I wasn't able to get things sorted quickly enough.

Since they have pulled my statements from internet banking I sent in the Subject Access Request which they received on 04/06/09.

In reply I got a letter asking me to confirm my signature which I sent back on 17/06/2009.

Unfortunately it wasn't delivered until 22/06/09

I have heard nothing in return and believe the 40 (working) days will be up by the 29th of this month.

Should I get the "Hurry Up" letter printed and sent?

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks,

Well I finally got the info :) I hope it's all there as it weighs alot and most likely would knock someone out if it fell on them!

There's alot of jargon in there but it does confirm that the Direct Debit for my loan was taken out and not bounced back pushing me over my overdraft limit. They did however bounce my mobile phone bill.

Could someone point me in the right direction of a letter outlining this to BLS and Lloyds?

BLS have also sent me the Full & Final Settlement Offer (Without Prejudice)

to basically halve the outstanding amount LOL

• 5 months later...

Hello folks,

I'm wondering if I have anything to use against Lloyds for continuing to take out a Direct Debit when there wasn't the money in the account to cover it?

The payments for a loan went out yet they bounced a mobile phone bill :confused:

It would depend on whether you had cancelled the DD or not.

If it was still a live DD then it is your responsibility to ensure sufficient funds are available, and you would, indeed, be liable for any bouncing fees and charges.

If you had clearly informed them that the DD was to be cancelled, and in good time, then you have cause to complain, and grounds, too.

I would have understood if it had bounced and then I got charged for it bouncing.

What actually happened was my mobile phone bill bounced and got charged but the loan payment was taken for the full amount pushing me past my overdraught.

I thought that with DD if the funds weren't there it would bounce

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I sent a C.C.A. request to BLS on the 24th January regarding an overdraft.

I received a letter 9th February (postmarked 7th February) from Card Services quoting a different account number (Old Credit Card) and giving the plea that they have a high volume of these requests.

They also advise that this makes the matter temporarily unenforceable but does not affect my legal obligation to make payments as per the agreement.

As the 12+2 have now passed should I continue paying the token amount while sending the in dispute letter?

I'm unsure where to add a line regarding the account number mix up so if anyone has any advice for this please feel free to comment.

Hi,

Sorry I'm not sue who BLS are.

Was this for a overdraft on a Bank Account, if so Overdrafts have part V exemptions (form and content) from the Act. This does not mean that they are exempt from the Act. The credit agreement would be in the form of a letter from the bank stating the amount of credit, the APR, charges and cancellation rights. This type of agreement would not be signed by the debtor.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Scott,

As far as I am aware BLS are part of Lloyds collections. They have the same address as "Collections" uses on some of their letters to me.

The overdraft was on a standard account but it's a funny story. I had a period of illness & Lloyds kept taking my loan payments out (by Direct Debit) even though the account didn't have sufficient funds. Any other DD got bounced.

What puzzled me was the wrong account number referenced on the letter. I clearly labelled the request with the revelant account number yet they replied with a different one.

Regards

Pete

• 13 years later...

Hello Everyone,
I would appreciate advice on what to do next.

I took out a personal loan in 2001 with Lloyds TSB when they were merged.

In around 2007 I had some medical issues (which have been trouble to diagnose and to this day are still causing problems).

Despite me informing them that I could not make the next payment because benefits weren't sorted yet.

They took me over my overdraft limit and sent all the letters. Back then, I verbally agreed over the telephone to pay £30 a month.

Some years ago a company called Wescot wrote saying they had ownership of the debt and I stupidly did not request proof. I continued to pay the £30 despite their badgering to give a breakdown of my finances.

Most recently a company called Cabot have been involved saying they acquired it from Wescot in 2019, even though I am still making the payments to Wescot.

Cabot has been for 2 years sending my statements to an old address. I last lived there some 14 years ago.

After contacting Wescot to remove that address, they denied having it and did not bother to update Cabot.

I raised a complaint with Cabot about this.

They claim to have amended the details while offering me £200 for my inconvenience.

Suffice it to say the cheque has not arrived. I did not expect it anyway.

There is no entry for either on my credit history.

What should be my next step?

• dx100uk changed the title to Cabot/Wescot - old lloyds OD Debt

several threads merged going back years

you should have stopped paying in 2009.

stop paying and ignore everyone now until or unless you ever get a letter of claim.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

its an od, should never had been paid to any dca in the 1st place.

probably mostly as you've already said several times over the years, mainly made of penalty charges and the interest those attract.

as for the £300 they probably took that off the fake balance too.

and just think of what +15yrs of £30pcm you've paid adds upto? +£5'000 mugged blind we call it being a dca cash cow

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as long as you've told cabot of your correct and current address then stop paying see if they send a letter of claim.

as for the OD then? are you still paying that £30 or indeed any dca on historic debts? i thought also there was a mix up earlier upon what the debt was, you weren't sure if it was a loan or the OD?

dx

and they

The OD was dropped and Wescot/Cabot sent the letters regarding the loan.

I thought by starting a new post I would be giving the correct info.

As Cabot quote account numbers,

duration of loan, and

credit amount on the statements,

what would my options be if a letter of claim did turn up?

I sadly do not have the outstanding balance.

you would reply as post 2 after hitting letter of claim

dx

and they

• AndyOrch changed the title to Cabot/Wescot - old lloyds Personal Loan