Landlord in jail - What are my options?

My current tenancy agreement runs out at the end of June 2024. 

I have been informed that my landlord has been jailed in a large scale drugs bust in this region. (No, I was not aware of this when I entered into the tenancy)

The lettings agency have not mentioned anything to me about this fact, but I was wondering if I have grounds to end tenancy sooner than June, since I am very concerned about the law freezing the landlord's assets (including my depoisit!). 

Also, due to poor credit, I was required to pay 6 months' rent up front if I wanted to renew the contract in December 2023.

I am considering moving out sooner and claiming back the remaining rent.

CAn anyone advice me of my rights/options in this situation?

I emailed them just now and I have to say that never have I ever received a quicker reply than to this email! Haha

Immediate reply came in asking me what change in circs I am referring to. (I had worded the email rather carefully stating that "it has come to my attention that the landlord's circs have changed drastically.....etc...how it affects my tenancy....can i end tenancy sooner than june etc)

They have also stated that tenancy cannot be terminated sooner than June.

At the same time, I have just been told by the local newsagents (the ladies at work, that is) that landlord has been in prison for months BEFORE my tenancy was renewed last december! 

• Like 1

As I'd mentoioned in my original post, I paid upfront for 6 months till the end of June 2024. I just dont feel secure staying here now knowing that he is in prison for drug offences and also concerned that I may lose my deposit.

Normally The landlord going to prison does not change anything legally for you or your contract.

Your deposit *should* be held in a Deposit Protection Scheme, which are there explicitly for situations such as this. If it isn't, you need to be on to the letting agent NOW as to why they've failed to meet their legal obligations.

Don't underestimate your position here now. You hold all the cards. Your landlord likely now has very little income outside of your rent. Personally, I'd be looking to stay there and negotiating a lower rent! I'm sure in his position now he'd rather have less income from a known good tenant than no income at all (as I imagine most people don't want their landlord to be in prison). I'd imagine that right now you couldn't have a safer tenancy, especially in your situation.

If you're paying your landlord directly, you'll need to find out where to pay the money to now. I imagine his bank accounts have been frozen so it likely won't be going to him. Your letting agent *should* be able to take the money on their client's behalf but if not I'd be looking to set up a savings account/current account and paying your rent into there on hold so you can prove good faith etc.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

You can't be forced to move out, and you won't be able to change the tenancy agreement to terminate it earlier just because the landlord is in the nick.

The agency will be managing the tenancy on behalf of the LL.

A lot of the advice is American when you search for it online, I could only find a snip of info on Reddit, but you may be able to find more off https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/landlord-and-tenant-rights-and-responsibilities-in-the-private-rented-sector/landlord-and-tenant-rights-and-responsibilities-in-the-private-rented-sector#tenants-rights-responsibilities-and-advice

Alternatively, give the CAB a call, or if you have contents insurance you might be able to give their legal team a call?

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The lettings agency have sent the following reply:

"Your tenancy and deposit are completely unaffected by this. We would never have allowed the property to be let if there were potential repercussions on the tenant.

We are under no obligation to disclose unrelated details upon viewing, hence why this was never mentioned.

The property owner has followed the correct procedure by handing Power of Attorney to his mother, whom (Sic) is the legal landlord for the property.

As we fully manage the property and thus the tenancy, this was not mentioned to you as you are not privy to any information that is not related to your tenancy.  "

This is confusing to me because the tenancy agreement I had signed was in the name of the son who is now in prison convicted of dealing drugs.

My payments have been to the lettings agency, BUT I do feel scammed in a way since (technically) the money goes indirectly to a convicted drug dealer.

What kind of law is this that will not disclose such facts to a potential tenant/buyer?!

I would not be ranting as much if the tenancy had been in his mother's name or the lettings agency's name.

I have a good mind to get this fact (along with details of the address) out on social media tik tok, insta, fb etc so that future tenants aren't giving their hard earned money to a drug dealer! 

I would strongly advise against doing any such "social media" campaign against your LL.

• I agree 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

agreed....never a good idea.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How many Landlords do you think might have an unspent  criminal conviction in the past for something you disapprove of? Are you going to research them all and refuse to rent from any of them?

A social media  campaign against the letting agency is a bad idea. They have done nothing legally wrong. If you start suggesting that they have a letter from their lawyers is likely to arrive on your doorstep.

I don't want to give my money to a drug dealer. You wouldn't be saying this if he was a sex offender because he would be placed on a register which effectively destroys his life even if it was a false allegation. 

Yet, drug dealers who hand out dangerous drugs even to children  are okay to be in jail yet have a steady income so that they get straight back to it when they've done their time. 

There ought to be a DBS type check for lettings and sales too. The lettings and real estate sector is the least regulated one and that's precisely why drugs dealera invest in property.

I don't plan to "campaign" against the lettings agency but I will definitely air my thoughts regarding this property online. 

Politics aside, it's my money and it's my right to know where it's going. :)

Thanks for all the sensible opinions and views 👍🏽😄

Edited by bitemarx
Exiting the thread

Either way he owns the property so legally he is your landlord?

His lettings agent/mother are managing it on his behalf due to his current "situation" and is all you really need to know.

The only information you legally have a right to know about is your landlords name and address. Quite frankly what he does outside of being your landlord is none of your business.

I am once again going to reiterate my point, don't underestimate how good of a position you find yourself in with this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Do you spend a lot of effort, ensuring that you shop ethically?

Retailers with connections to animal testing, cheap child labour, blood diamonds, etc.

Banks and financial institutions who invest ethically.

Green energy suppliers.

Food retailers who avoid long distance transport.

And on, and on...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Just move out then.

What could be worse than a DD chasing you for payment?

If it doesn't sit right then get some legal advice  first before making a decision. 

You've only a few months of your tenancy left anyway. 

FWIW, I agree with most of the posters here, mate. You are in a very, very strong position here. 

I wouldn't waste that advantage by going on some moral crusade against the "war on drugs".

If I may be candid, I think your pearl-clutching is a misdirection anyway, designed to give you the moral high-ground in your own mind for any future actions you decide to take.

Think how much property in London is owned by Russian Oligarchs or Saudi Non-Doms. Don't tell me if one of them offered you a free apartment to stay in on Park Lane you'd refuse? Their crimes are FAR more egregious than dealing a bit of skunk!