Sensible private parking control!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know I've posted a few similar threads over the years, so at the risk of boring you all ...

Work today took me to the industrial area of the Italian town of Rovigo.  The town is infamous among locals as being impossible to find a parking space in.  Logically enough that makes businesses in the centre which have a car park a target for abusive parking,

On the way I saw that something that was a disused building last time I passed that way has now been transformed into an Aldi, so I stopped to stretch my legs, kill time and pick up some odds & ends.  To my surprise a barrier blocked my way, which is strange in Italy.  I pressed a button on a machine, a piece of paper was spat out, and the barrier rose and let me in.

I was a bit worried about messing something up and, as I can speak Italian, I read the instructions on a payment machine next to the supermarket entrance and also spoke to the check-out staff.

Anyway, all very easy.  There are 90 minutes free parking.  On the way out, the bit of paper the entrance machine had spat out had a bar code which I scanned onto the exit machine, the barrier was raised and I was on my merry way.

The supermarket isn't very big, there would be no reason to stay longer than 90 minutes.

But what if someone did?  What if they started nattering to other shoppers they recognised (an Italian pastime) and lost track of the time or they did abuse the car park and wandered off round the town centre?  Well, they would have to pay €9/£7.85 at the payment machine.  Money that would go, presumably, to the supermarket.  Hefty, but not £60.  It's €9 an hour, so someone would have to park for nine hours to rack up £60.

That seemed to me to be a sensible way to do things.  Genuine customers aren't punished.  There is no way a motorist can get a nasty surprise later (you either pay or the barrier doesn't let you out).  The money for overstaying is not completely unreasonable and goes to the local business.  No role for any fleecing private parking company.

But obviously this is far, far too complicated to happen in Britain 😉

• Like 3

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

i think it boils down to there is an obvious NEED for it where that car park is.

in the uk there never was and there still remains NO NEED for any need for private parking companies.

the original roots, which go back very many many years, date to a time whereby a VERY small number of individuals dreamt up a money making scheme and began offering a service to private land owners, to clamp and tow vehicles that were not permitted on their 'private land' as they were trespassing. after many years it was eventually outlawed as 99% of the land was NOT GATED.

thats when the PPC 's had to change tact...

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

When the new government guidelines eventually come in, I suspect the PPC's will slowly start disappearing with no easy money.

Then we'll have nothing to do!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service