• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Evri lost my Ebay parcel £844 - court claim issued

On Packlink, they offer 3 packages but its not known as "Standard insurance". I had got that wrong. If i recall, they are:

- no protection (free)

- proof of postage = this gives £25 protection and a signature at delivery (costs around extra £1).

- enhanced protection = this gives protection for full value of parcel (costs vary but can be extra £20-£30+).

I will check Packlink later today and check the above are correct

7 hours ago, occysrazor said:

I am claiming as a beneficial third-party per the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. The defendant has lost the claimant's parcel containing a xxxxx (valued at £839.99) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service eference xxxxx).

The defendant lost the parcel and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £839.99, plus eBay fees of £21.80, plus interest per s. 69 County Courts Act 1984 

does that work?

4 minutes ago, occysrazor said:

I had got that wrong.

It is important that mistakes like this are not made. Please can you check

• Thanks 1

Yes those amends work. I have removed the "plus interest per s. 69 County Courts Act 1984", as when claiming for interest and entering the dates / daily rate of interest, the MCOL auto-populates the below wording into the POC

The claimant claims interest under section 69
of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of
8% a year from 23/06/2023 to 19/07/2023 on
£861.79 and also interest at the same
rate up to the date of judgment or earlier
payment at a daily rate of £0.19.

Re: the insurance, I will confirm once checked.

• Like 1

I've had a look at the insurance options on Packlink where Evri is the selected delivery service. The 3 options are:

- standard protection (£25 standard compensation)

- proof of postage (£25 + signature)

- full protection (covers the full value of item + signature)

Edited by occysrazor
  • Like 1

Submitted the POC this evening on MCOL and paid £70 fee. Received confirmation on the MCOL website that the claim request has been accepted and Evri has 14 days from the date of service of the claim to reply. So Evri has until 1st August to reply. I will start work on the next steps - drafting a skeleton/witness statement.

If anyone thinks there is anything else I need to consider, please do let me know. I'll also look at some of the other threads for guidance and continue my research.

For reference, below is an extract of the POC which fits within the 1080 characters / 15 lines limit on MCOL (excluding the interest claim under s69 wording that MCOL auto-populates into the POC):

Claim

Claim number: xxxxx
Reference: July 2023 - Evri

Claimant

xxxxx

First Defendant

EVRi Parcelnet Ltd trading as Evri
Capitol House
1 Capitol Close
Morley
LEEDS
LS27 0WH

Particulars of Claim

I am claiming as a beneficial third-party per
the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act
1999. The defendant has lost the claimant's
parcel containing a xxxxx mobile
phone (valued at £839.99) that was sent to a
UK address using their delivery service
(Tracking Reference xxxxx). The
defendant lost the parcel and refuses to
reimburse the claimant on the grounds that
the claimant did not purchase their secondary
insurance contract. The defendant seeks to
exclude their liability in breach of section
57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary
insurance contract is in breach of section
72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of
£839.99, plus eBay fees of £21.80, plus court
fees, plus interest.
The claimant claims interest under section 69
of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of
8% a year from 23/06/2023 to 19/07/2023 on
£861.79 and also interest at the same
rate up to the date of judgment or earlier
payment at a daily rate of £0.19.

Details of claim

Amount claimed £861.79

Court fee £70.00

Total amount £931.79

Signed

xxxx

Edited by occysrazor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just sharing an update. Received a notice of issue in the post on 25th July 2023. It explains:

• my claim was issued on 20th July 2023,
  • claim sent by the court to defendant on that date and is deemed to be served on 25th July 2023.
  • Defendant has until 8th Aug 2023 to reply.

• Like 1

Thank you for this.

Keep on doing the reading. Monitor the County Court website just in case you are able to get judgement on 8 August – but the pattern is that they wait until the last moment and then they file an acknowledgement which gives them an extra 14 days. They always manage to get things in at the nick of time.

Lots of reading

If you have done your reading, you will see that this is absolutely normal. Everything gets left absolutely to the last moment in order to cause maximum delay, maximum disruption, maximum obstacles to their customers legitimate claims.

Welcome to EVRi

• 2 weeks later...

Having read Evri's defence, as usual they are disputing the claim, stating they only have limited tracking information, that it is denied that I am entitled to claim against them under the Contracts Right of 3rd Parties Act 1999, that my relationship is with Packlink, that i should cease this claim and contact Packlink to seek reimbursement. I did not see a name of any particular person on Evri's defence and instead the document is signed as Evri Legal Department.

Below is the full extract of Evri's defence:

How much of the claim do you dispute?

I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.

Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it?

No, for other reasons.

Defence

1. If any part of the Particulars of Claim are not expressly
admitted or denied below, such parts are denied by the Defendant
entirely.
2. The Defendant serves this Defence subject to the following
objection to the manner in which this claim is brought. The
Particulars of Claim fail to provide details about any contractual
relationship which is alleged to exist between the Claimant and
the Defendant.

Background

3. The Defendant is and was at all material times a company
limited by shares in the business of providing delivery services
on a business to business, business to consumer and consumer to
consumer basis.
4. In addition to providing delivery service to its own customers,
the Defendant also works as a subcontractor to provide delivery
services to customers of PACKLINK Shipping S.L (“Packlink”) who
are a company registered in, Spain with the number CIF B83357863
whose registered address is Calle Amaltea, 9 28045 Madrid pursuant
to a pre-existing commercial agreement to carry out delivery
services.
5. Packlink provides delivery services to users of the online
auction site/retail site ‘eBay.co.uk’. eBay.co.uk users can opt to
use the Defendant’s delivery services via Packlink. This means
that the Defendant does not have any contractual relationship with
Packlink ‘s customers. They, as is the case with the Claimant,
contract solely with Packlink.
6. As there is no contract between the Claimant and the Defendant,
the Defendant only has limited tracking information about the
parcel.
7. The tracking information shows that on or around 14th June
2023, the Claimant’s parcel entered the Defendant’s delivery
network after the Claimant sent the parcel via one of the
Defendant’s ParcelShops.
8. The last tracking point for the Parcel was on 17th June 2023.
There are no further tracking points after this date and therefore
the Defendant accepts that the Parcel is lost.

The Claim Value

9. The Claimant seeks to recover £931.79 including court fees of
£70.00.
10. The Claimant is put to strict proof as to the value of the
claim. The Defendant has limited information regarding the Parcel
due to the lack of contractual relationship between the Claimant
and the Defendant.
The Defence
11. The Defendant denies that it is liable to pay the Claimant the
damages claimed for breach of contract and/or negligence.
12. This Defence is a response to the Particulars of Claim which
are set out in the ‘Particulars of Claim’ on page 1 of the claim
form.

Claim Form – Particulars of Claim

13. The first sentence of the Particulars of Claim is noted. It is
denied that the Claimant is entitled to claim against the
Defendant under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
14. The second sentence of the Particulars of Claim is neither
admitted nor denied. The Defendant has limited information with
regards to the contents of the Parcel. The Claimant has a contract
with Packlink and not the Defendant in this matter.
15. The third to fifth sentences of the Particulars of Claim are
neither admitted nor denied and the Claimant is put to strict
proof. The Defendant has on multiple occasions redirected the
Claimant to the correct party, which in this case is Packlink. The
Claimant is aware that their contract is with Packlink and the
Defendant reiterates that the Claimant should cease this claim and
contact Packlink.
16. The sixth sentence of the Particulars of Claim is denied. The
Claimant should seek reimbursement from Packlink.
17. The seventh sentence of the Particulars of Claim is neither
admitted nor denied and the Claimant is put to strict proof.

No contractual relationship

18. There is no contract between the Claimant and the Defendant.
19. The Claimant entered into a contract with Packlink.
20. This was made very clear during the order process.
21. The Claimant should desist with this claim and contact
Packlink.

Claim for Compensation

22. The Claimant claims £931.79
23. As explained above, it is denied that the Defendant owes the
Claimant £931.79, or in any sum at all.

Signed

I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true

Evri Legal Department

Legal Department

11/08/2023

Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you

Capitol House

1 Capitol Close

Morley

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS27 0WH

Please will you post up the original in PDF format.

While doing some reading on next steps, I downloaded the Acknowledgement of Service that Evri provided on 01 Aug 2023 (attached). Just thought to share that the AOS isn't signed by the famous J. Corbett and instead it is signed by "L Haigh"

The last update on MCOL states:

• EVRi Parcelnet Ltd trading as Evri filed a defence on 14/08/2023 at 01:05:42
  • DQ sent to EVRi Parcelnet Ltd trading as Evri on 15/08/2023

Evri's defence is attached in the previous post above.

Next steps for me is the N180 / DQ - and am waiting on instruction from MCOL to provide the relevant documents so I can complete and send.

However, if anyone thinks that there is something else I need to consider/action before the N180/DQ needs to be sent, please do let me know.

Acknowledgment of Service - 01 Aug 2023 (Redacted).pdf

Have you decided to go for mediation or to reject it?

In that case all we can say is that you should stand your ground and refuse even to give up a single penny..

The money is yours. If it goes to trial then you have them over a barrel. You will win. They don't want another judgement against them.

Stand your ground whatever the cost

Absolutely.

I have been following other threads and making notes of comments from other people who have also gone to mediation. I'm in this completely, and will not move an inch - Evri failed me, so in my eyes they should be the ones compromising, not me.

I'll wait for the MCOL to update to let me know when I need to complete the DQ / N180 or wait for it to arrive in the post.

@BankFodder is there anything else you think I should do? I am continuing my reading / research on here in the mean time.

Let us know when you get a mediation date and then we will check it all over

Have filled in the DQ N180 online and printed 2 copies to be posted tomorrow - one to Civil National Business Service and other to Evri. Will also retain a separate copy for my own file.

Filled in the DQ N180 as follows: 

A1 yes

C1 yes

D1 no (reason: There are complex issues which will need to be argued orally.)

E1 my nearest County Court 

E2 no

E3 1

E4 yes / dates as required

E5 no

Also forgot to mention that as part of the paperwork received today from the court, it included a copy of acknowledgement of service and a copy of Evri's defence (detailed in my above posts).

Edited by occysrazor
added reason to D1
  • Like 2

:cheer2:

excellent self help..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Just sharing an update. Received a copy of Evri's DQ today in the post. They have agreed to refer to mediation. Also made me chuckle that they are not available to attend court for a hearing on 04/09/2023 - 04/12/2023. Looks like they are really busy battling the other claims which they no doubt will end up paying out on.

Also my DQ N180 has been delivered to the Civil national business centre and a copy was sent to Evri. CNBC got it on 30th Aug and Evri on 31st Aug.

It needed filing with the court by 01 Sept 2023, so am glad that it was delivered on 30th Aug to CNBC.

Now will wait to hear about mediation date, and continue reading in the mean time.

• Like 1