• Tweets

• Which Court have you received the claim from?  CIVIL NATIONAL BUSINESS CENTRE, NORTHAMPTON Name of the Claimant?  LOWELL PORTFOLIO LTD How many defendant's joint or self?  SELF Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  03 MAY 2024 Particulars of Claim What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim?  THE CLAIM IS FOR THE SUM OF £6000 DUE TO THE DEFENDANT UNDER AN AGREEMENT REGULATED BY THE CONSUMER ACT 1974 FOR A LLOYDS BANKING GROUP PLC ACCOUNT WITH AN ACCOUNT REFERENCE OF (ACCOUNT NO. 16 DIGITS LONG). THE DEFENDANT FAILED TO MAINTAIN CONTRACTUAL PAYMENTS REQUIRED BY THE AGREEMENT AND A DEFAULT NOTICE WAS SERVED UNDER S.87(1) OF THE CONSUMER ACT 1974 WHICH HAS NOT BEEN COMPLIED WITH. THE DEBT WAS LEGALLY ASSIGNED TO THE CLAIMANT ON (DATE) NOVEEMBER 2016 NOTICE OF WHICH HAS BEEN GIVEN TO THE DEFENDANT. THE CLAIM INCLUDES STATUORY INTEREST UNDER S.69 OF THE COUNTY COURTS ACT 1984 AT A RATE OF 8% PER ANNUM FOR THE DATE PF ASSIGNMENT TO THE DATE OF ISSUE OF THESE PROCEEDINGS IN THE SUMBE OF £0.00. THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS THE SUM OF £6000. What is the total value of the claim? £6500 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? YES, NOTICES OF CLAIM.  Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  YES  Did you inform the claimant of your change of address?  NO Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account?  CREDIT CARD When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007?  BEFORE   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post?  I DONT RECALL   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ?  NO   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  DEBT PURCHASER.   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? THE FIRST I RECALL WAS A LETTER FROM LOWELL SAYING THEY NOW OWNED THE DEBT.  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  NOT THAT I RECALL OR BEEN PROVIDED WITH THROUGH CCA REQUESTS.AT LAST REQUEST THEY SAID THEY WERE AWAITING THE DEFAULT NOTICE AND NO ACTION WOULD BE TAKEN UNTIL RESPONDED WHICH TO DATE I'VE NOT HAD OR SEEN.  Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  NO, I RECEIEVED LETTERS OF CLAIMS   Why did you cease payments?  I WAS UNDER MEDICAL CARE WHICH CAUSED ME NOT TO WORK. AROUND THAT TIME LOWELL HAD WANTED ME TO INCREASE MY PAYMENTS AS IT WOULD TAKE TOO LONG TO CLEAR THE DEBT. I HAD BEEN PAYING THEM WHAT I WAS PAYING THE BANK. I EXPLAINED MY THEN HEALTH & FINANCIAL POSITION AND THAT I WAS UNABLE TO DO SO. THEY PUT A HOLD ON MY ACCOUNT FOR A FEW MONTHS SO I CANCELLED MY DIRECT DEBIT. I MADE A FULL AND FINAL OFFER WHICH WAS REJECTED. WHEN THEY WANTED PAYMENTS TO RESUME I EXPLAINED I WAS IN A WORSE FINANCIAL POSITION, STILL UNDERTAKING TREATMENT AND NOW UNEMPLOYED SO COULD NOT START PAYMENTS AS THEY WANTED. AFTER SENDING MY FINANCIAL SPREADSHEET THEY KEPT SENDING LETTERS ASKING WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO. I COULDN’T SEE A WAY FORWARD I FELT STREESSED AND UNDER PRESSURE SO WROTE THAT I WOULD NOT BE CORRESPONDING WITH THEM ANYMORE.    What was the date of your last payment? NOVEMBER / DECEMBER 2018   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? NO   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? I COMMUNICATED MY FINANCIAL PROBLEMS WITH THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY, WE MADE A MONTHLY PAYMENT AGREEMENT WHICH WAS KEPT FOR SEVERAL YEARS UNTIL DEBT WAS SOLD.  
    • Perhaps you would care to read this and reflect on your continuing comparison of Israel to Nazi Germany Jugg    ALEX BRUMMER: How grotesque of pro-Palestine protesters to besmirch Auschwitz, the place where my grandparents died WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK As the son of a refugee from the horrors of the Holocaust, I can feel nothing but contempt for the ignorance, gross... My elderly aunt Sussie and cousin Sheindy had been teenagers at Auschwitz and Belsen but survived and are alive to this day. What they will make of the protesters who waved flags, heckled and chanted as Israelis took part in the March Of The Living – the annual walk from Auschwitz to Birkenau – I cannot imagine. The images now circulating of the protesters are indescribably disturbing. They can only bring back memories of those final moments Sheindy shared with my grandparents when my grandmother Fanya squeezed her hand and told her to lie about her age to avoid the gas chambers. Claiming she was older, and could work, meant that Sheindy lived, not died. The outrage perpetrated by Hamas on October 7 has brought back the most terrifying memories for these two women – memories of pillage, mutilation and starvation. The Holocaust, or Shoah to use the Hebrew word, was the deliberate, industrial-scale killing of Jews.  It is bad enough that pro-Palestinian and pro-Hamas sympathisers have chosen to steal the language of the Holocaust.  Any comparison between Israel's retaliation and the monstrous genocide of the 1940s is odious and anti-Semitic
    • Thank you JK2054 and BankFodder for your replies. The information requested is as follows:   My wife and I are sole traders supplying bespoke, handmade wedding trays and other items through our website. We do not sell on ebay. We had an order for two trays (invoice value £370) that were shipped on Monday 25th March. We used P2G as the broker and Evri as the shipper. We declared the value but did not take out insurance. As the trays were a present for a wedding on Saturday 30th March we checked the progress of delivery on the Thursday to see that there had been an attempt to deliver on the 27th but the driver failed to deliver as the customer’s gate was shut (customer informs us that the gates are open between 7am-7pm. We contacted the customer who informed us she had been waiting in all week and there had been no attempt of a delivery. Evri allege they attempted to deliver on the 28th & 29th. On the P2G web site on the 4th April at 14.17 it stated that the customer refused delivery. At 14.28 it updated to say there was a problem with the address and at 14.32 updated to say the customer had refused delivery. At 14.35 updated again to say it was being returned. Last entry was on the 7th April that it was being processed at the depot. We never received it. I have had six web chats with P2G between the 4th-30th April. On the 26th April, I had an offer of £20 plus cost of delivery (£6.72) from P2G which I rejected. During this time, I also contacted Evri that resulted in an email from Evri Customer Services (20th April) stating that they had lost the parcel. I replied requesting details of the attempted delivery but received no reply. After emailing Evri again on the 23rd asking again for the information I received a phone call from someone called Haleemah on the 25th who apologised and promised to send an email with a link to submit a claim form. I subsequently received an email with the link which only took me to a page that stated “Page not found”. After informing Evri customer services of the problem (to which no reply was forthcoming) a couple of days later I retried the link but it only took me to the Evri website. I believe that I have a good case against both companies but would appreciate guidance on which path to go down. I have read most of the information on this site, which has been very helpful and much appreciated, particularly the various court transcripts. I appreciate that this process is a marathon and not a sprint and am fully aware that I need to get everything in the correct order before starting on the legal road. I am sure this covers the current position but if further info is needed please let me know.  
    • Everything at small claims revolves around informality and common sense, there are no "special" ways to have to do things. The site manager's WS will be like yours and the one I linked to - just much shorter.  There need to be the introductory hearings about the case, the parties, etc., and the concluding Statement of Truth. In the middle just a couple of paragraphs where they say who they are, how they know you, and about permission being given by the landowner to use the car park. Superb.  I've added another section about the signage to the suggested WS sections three posts above. Yes, it's perfectly possible.  It'd be a good idea to phone the court on the 18th to see if they have paid.
    • OK thank you very much. I will prepare my WS as you advise.  I will indeed be preparing the WS over the weekend. I will also post UKPC's on Wednesday by 2nd class mail. As they have until the 17th to pay the court fee, is it possible they might discontinue at that stage too? Also I wanted to ask, in what form should the site manager's statement come? And the site owner if i can contact them? I will get photos of the signage to share with you also. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Letter Of Claim for death of cat now Court Claim received.

It's just occured to me on re-reading the claimant's Witness Statement that the majority of it is "hearsay".

(My partner said this, My mother did that, etc. The claimant wasn't actually present.)

Is hearsay given any credence in a civil court?

If not, have witness statements been submitted for the partner and mother? (None appear to be listed as supporting documentation).

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Not at WS stage yet, all the lies were written in the claimant's PoCs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry, my bad...

Still, there are no witness statements listed as "evidence".

I would suspect that the claimant's WS would probably follow closely along the lines of the POC. It's very detailed and reads like a WS.

So, back to my question... Is hearsay given any credence in a civil court?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Firstly, do we know that the injured cat is the property of the claimant? There seem to be some question about this earlier on in this thread.
Secondly, we asked you to respond to the paragraphs in the claim point by point – but you haven't done this.

You have been selective and referring only to certain paragraphs.
If you want to deal with this properly then you will have to give a point by point – paragraph by paragraph, commentary but try to shorten the narrative please.

I suggest that you begin each comment with "true", or "not true," or "not admitted".

It's a complicated thing. We are prepared to do a lot of work to help you but you will have to be more responsive. You were asked to do this 10 days ago and that was already after having left it very late in the day. I know you went on holiday – but try explaining that to the court if they give a judgement against you simply because you went on holiday.

If you want to deal with this then you need to get a move on. If we were charging you £300 per hour you would re-prioritise this PDQ.

Also, you have redacted their claim so much that in some parts it's confusing. You only need to redact their names – nothing else. There seems to be some other pet with a different name or something.
We need have a clear view.

3.2.1 and 3.9.8 are causing particular difficulty. Also 3.26 and 3.27. Are these the name of the vet? Why are you concealing that?

the claimant has provided a receipt for the cat.

sorry im not more responsive, as i didnt know that i had to respond for each paragraph point by point - its the first time ive had to do anything like this.

i just answered the ones that wasnt true.

i would have been helpful if you had told me twhat to do...as in answer with "true", or "not true," or "not admitted" before hand as i had no idea that i had to do this.

i dont know what redacted means?

i cant see where it says a pet with a different name?

8 minutes ago, danyboy72 said:

i dont know what redacted means?

obscure

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Redacted is when you hide certain details. You have redacted many things that were necessary.

In terms of answering point by point, you begin by the first paragraph of their claim –

Paragraph 1 – true/not true/not admitted – very short explanation of why it is untrue or not admitted
paragraph 2 –. Not true/not admitted – very short explanation of why it is untrue or not admitted
ditto
ditto

I don't know where there is a pet with a different name either – but in one of the paragraphs, your redaction has made things so unclear that we don't understand.

You only need to redact your own name and your own details. Anybody else – just leave it.

You say the claimant has provided a receipt for the cat. Is that receipt in the claimant's name?

• HM Courts &
Courts and Tribunals Service Centre
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0300 123 7050
(Monday to Friday, 8:30am to Spm)
Tribunals Service Call charges: www gov uk/call-charaes

3.1. PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

3.5. 4. My partner managed to get the dog to release Kiara who tried to
escape up a tree but was unable to and was subsequently attacked by the
other dog. Again, my partner and mother intervened and released the cat
who ran into the trees.

3.6. 5. My partner and mother tried to find Kiara and prevent the dogs who
were still out of control from catching her again. The dogs ran onto the lane
beside the property, my partner and mother followed where they discovered
a man running away from the scene, who we now know to be the owner of
the dogs, XXXXXXXX  the Defendant.

3.7. 6. The police were called and spoke to both my mother and the
Defendant. When the police officer informed the Defendant that although he
would not be criminally liable, he would be responsible for the expenses
incurred because of his dogs' actions he agreed. He gave my mother and
partner his telephone number and home address at this time.

3.8. 7. Kiara was found by my mother and partner 45 minutes later in a state
of shock and she had incurred substantial injuries.

3.9. 8. Kiara was taken immediately to our vet, The - Vets
) who put her on a drip. After initial
treatment we were informed later that day that the injuries were such that
she would need to be transferred to a veterinary hospital,
where she could receive 24-hour care. This was
done on the evening of 28th January 2023.

3.1 0. 9. My mother telephoned the Defendant to inform him of the likely
veterinary fees and subsequently kept him informed at all stages by text
(evidence of which can be provided).

3.11. 10. On Monday 30th January 2023, Kiara was transferred back to The
Shrubbery. She was suffering from liver damage/failure due to blunt trauma
and shaking. Unfortunately, she deteriorated so much over the weekend that
the vet's advised the kindest option was to have her put to sleep. This was
carried out on the afternoon of 30th January 2023. I arranged to have Kiara
buried on our land by a local company.

3.12. 11. The veterinary fees came to a total of £2,021.88 but I have pet
insurance wni'ch covered the majority of the veterinary fees, so 1 am only
claiming for my out-of-pocket expenses and the cost of purchasing Kiara,
since she was only 4 years old.

3.1 3. 12. My mother contacted the Defendant via text message throughout
Kiara's treatment to keep him informed as he requested. The Defendant did
not respond but my mother did receive two messages from the Defendant's
girlfriend, and I therefore believe he has received the messages we sent.
Copies of all text message correspondence can be provided. We initially
requested payment from the Defendant by text but when this was not made a
formal letter before action was sent on March 13th 2023. Despite formal
correspondence with the Defendant trying to resolve the dispute, and
providing them with all the necessary documents they requested, the
Defendant has refused to pay the amount requested.

3.14. 13. The following documents can be provided to support this claim:
3.15. Text messages sent from~ to the Defendant, -

3.16. Text messages between the Defendants girlfriend.
3.1 7. All letters sent between the Claimant and the Defendant.
3.18. Photographs taken of the dogs and the Defendant on the 28th January
3.19. Photographs of Kiara at the vets, showing her bruising.
3.20. The Shrubbery Claim Completion Notification.
3.21. Vets Now Claim Completion Notification.
3.22. Burial Cost Claim Completion Notification.
3.23. Pedigree Document.
3.24. Original Purchase Receipt for Kiara.
3.25. Bank statement showing The Shrubbery Ad m in fee for insurance.
3.26. Th ) Vets Bill.
3.28. Kiara's Veterinary History.
3.29. Breakdown of total compensation sought.

Tlmellne of what happened:
28th January 2023
29th January 2023
30th January 2023
4th-28th Feb 2023
13th March 2023 -
18th March 2023
1Oth April 2023
16th April 2023
Evidence:
Letters, emails and other

The Defendant allowed his dogs to run off leads
onto Claimants private land and they attacked Kiara.
Defendant's information taken at scene. Kiara taken
to vet.
Claimant party informs defendant of ongoing vet
treatment and expenses via text. Defendant party
states in reply via text "We would like to offer you a
one off payment of £300 towards the cost" (No
payment made).
Kiara was put to sleep and the Defendant was
notified via text and did not respond.
Text messages sent by Claimant party in an attempt
to resolve the dispute before a letter before action
was sent. Text messages were sent on 4th, 8th, 18th
and 24th February 2023. All text messages were
ignored by the Defendant.
Letter-before action was delivered -from claimant to
Defendant. Requesting compensation for out-of pocket
expenses and the cost of Kiara.
Defendant replies requesting further information
and records regarding details of Kiara's pet
insurance, vet treatment and bills, etc.
Letter from Claimant to Defendant. Request for
compensation to cover revised out-of-pocket
expenses relating to Kiara's injuries and the incident.
The letter included an appendix containing all the
relevant documents he requested.
Reply from Defendant showing that he would not be
willing to make any offer of compensation and
suggesting that the Claimant issues a claim so "a
judge can sort it out in court".
2 Letters from the Claimant- including an appendix

correspondence
Photo evidence
Other
Other

4. Claim amount details
Claim amount Items:
Excess and Administration
fees for Vets Now
fees for Shrubbery Vets
Petrol costs
Burial Costs
Initial cost of Kiara
5. Total amount
Claim amount
Claim fee:
Total:
Claim number:~
with evidence of out-of-pocket expenses. 2 letters
from the Defendant.
Photos take by Claimant party on the day of the
incident (28th January 2023) of the Defendant and
his dogs. Photos of Kiara at the vets showing
bruising.
Text messages between Claimant party and
Defendant party.
Appendix included in Claimants 2nd letter including:
Appendix 1 -The Shrubbery Claim Completion
Notification. Appendix 2- Vets Now Claim
Completion Notification. Appendix 3 - Burial Cost
Claim Completion Notification. Appendix 4-
Pedigree Document. Appendix 5- Original Purchase
Receipt. Appendix 6- Bank statement showing The
Shrubbery Admin fee for insurance. Appendix 7-
The Shrubbery Vets Bill. Appendix 8 -Vets Now Bill.
Appendix 9- Kiara's Veterinary History. Appendix
1 0- Breakdown of total compensation sought.
£317.20
£146.24
£65.70
£42
£500
£1,071.14
£80
£1 ,151.14

I have cleared the redactions on your claim form. I have separated the paragraphs

This will give you a start.
Use the copy function to paste these into your own post
Put your comment after each paragraph in red

thanks bankfodder, when you say "I don't know where there is a pet with a different name either – but in one of the paragraphs, your redaction has made things so unclear that we don't understand." i dont understand that? what is unclear? ive only referred to one cat!

you say " You have redacted many things that weren't necessary." what have i redacted? i wasnt aware i did?

also how have you got all the claimants details? as i didnt mention anyones names but you have put their names above?

you say "I have cleared the redactions on your claim form. I have separated the paragraphs" - i have not got a clue what this is or what you mean????

ive came here for help and your just bombarding me with stuff i have no idea about but you seem to expect me to know what it all means. sorry if that sounds ungrateful - its not - its just i do not understand it all.

First of all, I have cleared your redactions. This means we can move on. You are correct I have left the claimant's names in place. I can remove them if you want.

In terms of not understanding what is needed, I'm afraid that you are going to have to get to grips with this if you want to defend this case.

Although you can still defend it if you don't deal with it efficiently – it will make life much harder for you and I can tell you that by looking at their claim, they seem to be pretty organised and that will carry some weight with the judge.

Above I have reproduced their claim. I have separated paragraphs out. I have asked you to copy the claim as I have posted above into a new post and then go through it putting your very brief comments under each paragraph.
I'm afraid that if you don't do that then I'm not sure how to help you.

We really are bending over backwards here. If you aren't sure about it then maybe you need to ask somebody else who can look at it as well and you will understand what needs to be done.

We do this on a forum and it's free of charge – but I'm afraid that means that you have got to engage with the forum process. We don't have any other way of helping you.
What is the date for returning the defence? It must be coming up pretty soon as you have left long gaps before dealing with things.

As far as I can make out the claim was issued on 17 August. We are now the 15th. 17th of September is on Sunday. I reckon that if you haven't far to defence by Tuesday then you could find that they will enter a judgement against you by the Wednesday – but maybe even by the Tuesday – and then if you want to try and change things you will have to apply to have the judgement set aside – cancelled – and then put in a defence.

Applying to have the judgement set aside will cost you about 250 quid or more and you will still be left with the problem of filing a defence.

I think that realistically you've only got a couple more days to deal with this.

The claimant seem extremely organised and I'm sure that they will move very quickly to apply for judgement the moment that the 30 days after your receipt of the claim expires.

Don't forget that even if you get the defence in on time, you will then eventually end up either having to go through the mediation process or go to trial. Particularly if it goes to trial you will have to get yourself organised and be prepared to give your story to the judge in a very even and structured way and to answer each allegation that the other side will make against you in court.

Incidentally, you can respond to the claim simply by saying that you deny everything – if you want.

You can even use the explanations that you have put above – but it really won't be very effective. It won't give you the best chance – and you will still have to argue it all in court.

how have you got the claimants details?

i thought i had to leave any information like that out as not to expose any persons name or addresses etc for data protection etc?

also they could be on these forums and see everything that im doing about it?

2 hours ago, danyboy72 said:

The claimant's claim is denied.
It is not clear what basis the claim is being brought. The claimant has referred to "trespass". However there was no trespass and my dogs did not enter the property from which a cat escaped.
Anyway, the property referred to by the claimant does not belong to the claimant. It apparently belongs to her mother and therefore the claimant would not be in a position to complain of a trespass even if it were true.

3.2. 1. The Claimant, xxx was the owner of Kiara, a cat. Daniel le is
the daughter of zzz who is the owner of yyyy.

i dont know if this is true - this is what they have said, so i do i assume this is true?

Paragraph 3.2.1 – it is not clear that the claimant is the owner of the cat. The cat was at a property which does not belong to the claimant. The defendant requires that the claimant provides evidence as to their ownership of the cat and is entitled to to make a claim

3.3. 2. On Saturday, 28th January 2023, two dogs, (grey long haired lurcherspictures
can be provided) trespassed through a fence boundary into the
private property (Broadfield) off lead without the consent of the property
owner. The owner of the dogs was not in sight and the dogs were out of
control.

not true: my dogs did not tresspass through a fence boundary into private property. my dogs were not out of control.

Paragraph 3.3.2 – this is not true and the claimant has no evidence that this is true. The defendants Was not on private property. It seems that the cat had escaped from the defendant's property by means of a dilapidated fence and was now in an open field.
I believe that the dilapidated fence belonged to the property from which the cat escaped.
My dogs were not out of control but they reacted in the way one might normally expect from dogs when a cat suddenly appears in front of them.
The cat appeared to be a valuable cat. Probably normally kept indoors and very nervous and unsure having escaped the property.

3.4. 3. The dogs proceeded to chase Kiara, our cat we have on site. Kiara was a
family pet purchased by me as a kitten. Kiara is a pedigree Bengal cat and was
only 4 years old. One of the dogs managed to seize Kiara and began to shake
her. My partner, dddddddd  and my mother, zzzzz were
present at the time and tried to intervene.

not true: i did not see this (or should this be not admitted)
paragraph 3.4.3 it is admitted that there was a fight between one of my dogs and the cat although I did not see it. I only heard it and I am unable to comment on the claimant's allegation.
However I repeat that the confrontation between the two animals did not occur on the claimant's property or the property belonging to her mother.

3.5. 4. My partner managed to get the dog to release Kiara who tried to
escape up a tree but was unable to and was subsequently attacked by the
other dog. Again, my partner and mother intervened and released the cat
who ran into the trees.

not true: i did not see this (or should this be not admitted)
paragraph 3.5.4 – once again, I did not have the confrontation. I only heard it. However I repeat that the confrontation did not occur on private land as alleged. It occurred on an open field after the cat had escaped the private property to a dilapidated fence.
It is believed that the dilapidated fence belonged to the property from which the cat escaped

3.6. 5. My partner and mother tried to find Kiara and prevent the dogs who
were still out of control from catching her again. The dogs ran onto the lane
beside the property, my partner and mother followed where they discovered
a man running away from the scene, who we now know to be the owner of
the dogs, XXXXXXXX  the Defendant.

not true: the dogs were not out of control. i did not run away from the scene.
Paragraph 3.6.5 I did not run away from the scene.

3.7. 6. The police were called and spoke to both my mother and the
Defendant. When the police officer informed the Defendant that although he
would not be criminally liable, he would be responsible for the expenses
incurred because of his dogs' actions he agreed. He gave my mother and
partner his telephone number and home address at this time.

not true: i did not agree that i would be responsible for all of the expenses incurred.
Paragraph 3.7.6 it is true that the police were called. I did not agree that I would be responsible for all the expenses incurred. However I was concerned about injuries to the animal and I did mention that I would be prepared to make a contribution to costs.

3.8. 7. Kiara was found by my mother and partner 45 minutes later in a state
of shock and she had incurred substantial injuries.

not admitted as i did not witness this.
Paragraph 3.8.7 I am unable to comment on this as I did not see it but I accept that this is probably true

3.9. 8. Kiara was taken immediately to our vet, The - Vets
) who put her on a drip. After initial
treatment we were informed later that day that the injuries were such that
she would need to be transferred to a veterinary hospital,
where she could receive 24-hour care. This was
done on the evening of 28th January 2023.

true.
Paragraph 3.9.8 I accept that this is probably true

3.1 0. 9. My mother telephoned the Defendant to inform him of the likely
veterinary fees and subsequently kept him informed at all stages by text
(evidence of which can be provided).

true that i was informed. but not admitted that i would pay or be responsible for the veterinary fees.
Paragraph 3.10.9 it is true that I received a telephone call from the defendant's mother. It is not true that I agreed that I would be responsible for the veterinary fees.

3.11. 10. On Monday 30th January 2023, Kiara was transferred back to The
Shrubbery. She was suffering from liver damage/failure due to blunt trauma
and shaking. Unfortunately, she deteriorated so much over the weekend that
the vet's advised the kindest option was to have her put to sleep. This was
carried out on the afternoon of 30th January 2023. I arranged to have Kiara
buried on our land by a local company.

not true: ive not received any evidence or a receipt from the local company for the burial.
Paragraph 3.11.10 I have not been provided with any evidence of this

3.12. 11. The veterinary fees came to a total of £2,021.88 but I have pet
insurance wni'ch covered the majority of the veterinary fees, so 1 am only
claiming for my out-of-pocket expenses and the cost of purchasing Kiara,
since she was only 4 years old.

not true: the claimant cannot claim for the full cost of the cat. for an example if i buy a new car and it gets written off after 4 years the insurance company will not pay the full price i paid for the car.
Paragraph 3.12.11 in the event that the court decides I am liable, I would dispute the amount of damages claimed. For instance, although it may seem rather heartless, the cat is a "good" in the same way as a car or a washing machine.
Average life expectancy is 14 years and therefore any award for the value of the cat should be calculated on the basis that this is a four year old animal

also, if the court does decide that I am liable, then I would respectfully request the court to take into account the dilapidated condition of the barrier fence separating the property from which the defendants Had escaped. It is likely that if the fence had been properly maintained then the cat would have remained confined.
Also, a Bengal cat is normally a valuable animal and are mostly kept indoors. Clearly this cat had escaped and I believe that the claimant should explain why the cat was outside the house at all and in fact why the cat had managed to escape through the boundary fence.
If the court does not accept that I am telling the truth then I would respectfully ask the Court to consider a reduction in damages to take into account the defendant's own contribution to the incident by allowing their cat to have escaped and to have passed through a dilapidated boundary fence.

3.1 3. 12. My mother contacted the Defendant. T via text message throughout
Kiara's treatment to keep him informed as he requested. The Defendant did
not respond but my mother did receive two messages from the Defendant's
girlfriend, and I therefore believe he has received the messages we sent.
Copies of all text message correspondence can be provided. We initially
requested payment from the Defendant by text but when this was not made a
formal letter before action was sent on March 13th 2023. Despite formal
correspondence with the Defendant trying to resolve the dispute, and
providing them with all the necessary documents they requested, the
Defendant has refused to pay the amount requested.

not true: i did not agree to make payment for all the claimants incurred expenses.

not true: i have not received all the documents requested.

true: i have refused to pay the amount requested as i never agreed to pay the amount requested.

Paragraph 3.1.3.12 at no time did I agree to pay full the claimant's expenses. I requested various documents from the defendant and have not been provided with them.
On that basis it is correct that I have refused to pay the amount requested. I did at one point offered to pay £300 as a goodwill gesture. As an animal owner myself I felt empathetic to the predicament of a fellow animal owner

3.14. 13. The following documents can be provided to support this claim:
3.15. Text messages sent from~ to the Defendant, -

3.16. Text messages between the Defendants girlfriend.
3.1 7. All letters sent between the Claimant and the Defendant.
3.18. Photographs taken of the dogs and the Defendant on the 28th January

not true. i have not seen any photographs of me and my dogs, especially on their private property.
Paragraph 3.18 no photographs have been provided to me

3.19. Photographs of Kiara at the vets, showing her bruising.

not admitted. i have not seen any photos of the cat at the vets.
Paragraph 3.19 these photographs have not been provided to me

3.20. The Shrubbery Claim Completion Notification.
3.21. Vets Now Claim Completion Notification.
3.22. Burial Cost Claim Completion Notification.

not true. this is not true if the claimant is referring to a receipt from the local company that completed the burial.
Paragraph 3.22 I have not received any receipt from the local burial company

3.23. Pedigree Document.
3.24. Original Purchase Receipt for Kiara.
3.25. Bank statement showing The Shrubbery Ad m in fee for insurance.
3.26. Th ) Vets Bill.
3.28. Kiara's Veterinary History.
3.29. Breakdown of total compensation sought.

not true. i have not received a breakdown of total compensation sought as some specific expenses and receipts have not been provided.
Paragraphs 3.23  to 3.29 I have not been provided with a breakdown of total compensation as some specific expenses and receipts have not been provided

Tlmellne of what happened:
28th January 2023
29th January 2023
30th January 2023
4th-28th Feb 2023
13th March 2023 -
18th March 2023
1Oth April 2023
16th April 2023
Evidence:
Letters, emails and other

The Defendant allowed his dogs to run off leads
onto Claimants private land and they attacked Kiara.

not true. i did not allow my dogs onto the claimants private land.

Defendant's information taken at scene. Kiara taken
to vet.
Claimant party informs defendant of ongoing vet
treatment and expenses via text. Defendant party
states in reply via text "We would like to offer you a
one off payment of £300 towards the cost" (No
payment made).

not true. the claimant refused my offer of £300 in full and final settlement. this offer was in good will even though i did not legally have to pay her anything.

Kiara was put to sleep and the Defendant was
notified via text and did not respond.
Text messages sent by Claimant party in an attempt
to resolve the dispute before a letter before action
was sent. Text messages were sent on 4th, 8th, 18th
and 24th February 2023. All text messages were
ignored by the Defendant.
Letter-before action was delivered -from claimant to
Defendant. Requesting compensation for out-of pocket
expenses and the cost of Kiara.

not admitted: i denied the request for compensation as i never agreed to paying any out-of pocket expenses.
not true: i did not say i would pay for the cost of the cat.

Defendant replies requesting further information
and records regarding details of Kiara's pet
insurance, vet treatment and bills, etc.
Letter from Claimant to Defendant. Request for
compensation to cover revised out-of-pocket
expenses relating to Kiara's injuries and the incident.

not admitted: i deny the request for compensation as i never agreed to paying any revised out-of pocket expenses.

The letter included an appendix containing all the
relevant documents he requested.

untrue: i have not received at least 2 specific documents that i asked for, so not all relevant documents were provided.

Reply from Defendant showing that he would not be
willing to make any offer of compensation and
suggesting that the Claimant issues a claim so "a
judge can sort it out in court".

true.

2 Letters from the Claimant- including an appendix

correspondence
Photo evidence
Other
Other

4. Claim amount details
Claim amount Items:
fees for Vets Now

not admitted.

fees for Shrubbery Vets

not admitted.

Petrol costs

not true as no petrol receipts provided or accurate evidence such as milage, routes and make and model and engine size of car.

Burial Costs

not admitted as no receipts from the 'local company' that buried the cat have been provided.

Initial cost of Kiara

not admitted. i have not agreed to pay for the cost of the cat.

5. Total amount
Claim amount
Claim fee:
Total:
Claim number:~
with evidence of out-of-pocket expenses.

not true: the claimant has not provided all of the evidence for out of pocket expenses that i asked for.

2 letters
from the Defendant.
Photos take by Claimant party on the day of the
incident (28th January 2023) of the Defendant and
his dogs. Photos of Kiara at the vets showing
bruising.
Text messages between Claimant party and
Defendant party.
Appendix included in Claimants 2nd letter including:
Appendix 1 -The Shrubbery Claim Completion
Notification. Appendix 2- Vets Now Claim
Completion Notification. Appendix 3 - Burial Cost
Claim Completion Notification. Appendix 4-
Pedigree Document. Appendix 5- Original Purchase
Receipt. Appendix 6- Bank statement showing The
Shrubbery Admin fee for insurance. Appendix 7-
The Shrubbery Vets Bill. Appendix 8 -Vets Now Bill.
Appendix 9- Kiara's Veterinary History. Appendix
1 0- Breakdown of total compensation sought.
£317.20
£146.24
£65.70
£42
£500
£1,071.14
£80
£1 ,151.14

not admitted. i have never admitted or agreed to paying this breakdown of total compensation sought.

You have probably told us already – but were you on your own when you are walking the dogs? In other words where you with anybody else who witnessed what happened?

Please have a look at the suggestions I have made in green above.

Please will you comment. Is there anything inaccurate. Is it all true? Is anything you would like to add? Is there anything that has been missed out?

We will leave in everything that is in green and everything else which is in black and in red will come out.

When we have your comments/approval/corrections – then I will go on to reduce it all to the green parts and that should form the basis of your defence.

Read it very carefully. Don't make any mistakes. Make sure you understand it and ask any questions.

Don't hang around. You're running out time. It's the weekend and we are busy as well and we have things to do. Once again, this should have been done some time ago and it could easily have been done in a much more relaxed fashion

Also, I'd like you to explain where you were. You say you didn't see any of it and yet you are walking your Dog's. Were the dogs out of sight? If they were out of sight then how do you know they hadn't entered the property?

At some point you became aware of what was going on. What did you do? How did you try to get the dogs back?

thanks bankfodder - you worded it brilliantly - better than i can do.

the parts i would change (in blue) are :

paragraph 3.5.4 – once again, I did not have the confrontation. I only heard it. However I repeat that the confrontation did not occur on private land as alleged. It occurred on a verge beside the road after the cat had escaped the private property to a dilapidated fence.
It is believed that the dilapidated fence belonged to the property from which the cat escaped

i have attached a map of the scene to show where i was (map.pdf) ...i was walking the dogs at the green cross, the dogs spotted the cat roughly at that point.

the cat ran down that row of bushes/tress and the dogs chasd it (green arrow indicating direction). i was running behind but obviously cant keep up with the dogs and trying to get through the bushes trees is why i didnt arrive at the same time as them by the road which is marked in a red circle where it happened.

the dogs couldnt have got through the dense undergrowth between the road and the claimants property and then back out onto the road again where i met them.

the claimants mothers property is circled in blue.

i have also attached a photo of how dense the verge is next to the road but before their property (verge.pdf)...it is not the section with the dilapidated fence. i do have a photo of the section by the area circled in red that shows the fence on the ground. i cant find it now but will upload tomorrow.

when i was aware of what happend i called my dogs and they came to me. i then tied them (leashed) to a neighbouring propertys gate.

map.pdf verge.pdf

Edited by danyboy72

Please check the proposed defence below. Don't respond now. Read it carefully tonight – and again tomorrow.

You will have to sign this is a statement of truth which means if there is anything untrue you are committing a serious violation.
Read it to 3 times tomorrow.

Suggest any corrections or alterations here so we can have a look.

Ask any questions.

Get ready to send it off on Monday.

Reflect on this very carefully. The way they have presented their cases very strong. Presumably they have got their witnesses – the partner and the mother.
You don't seem to have addressed my question as to whether you are alone but it seems to me that you don't have any witnesses. However you have got photographs and you will have to try to leverage those to your best advantage.
I think we need to know about the Bengal cat. Whether it was an indoor cat. Why it was in the garden at all. Maybe it had been brought out on a sunny day that was meant to be under supervision but then it did a runner.

These are questions we need to ask.

Defence

The claimant's claim is denied.

It is not clear what basis the claim is being brought.

The claimant has referred to "trespass".

If the claimant was referring to trespass to land, then However, the property upon which my dogs were alleged to have entered does not belong to the claimant and so she should not be bringing any action based on trespass to property which does not belong to her.
Anyway, if the dogs did enter the claimant's land (which is denied) then the entry was not committed by myself directly and nor was it committed intentionally.

If the claimant was referring to trespass to her pet cat, then any trespass which did occur was neither direct nor intentional. It was a confrontation between animals are often seen as natural enemies.

However there was no trespass and my dogs did not enter the property from which a cat had escaped.

The property from which the cat had escaped is separated from the outside by a boundary fence which is in a dilapidated condition. However the dilapidated fence is then shielded by extremely dense and unmaintained undergrowth and my dogs would not have been able to penetrate the undergrowth and then to pass through the dilapidated boundary fence to enter onto the claimant's property.
Anyway, my dogs were fully under control and I would not have allowed them to enter onto the claimant's property. They only started to become agitated once they saw the cat which had escaped from the property, through the dilapidated fence and passed easily to the dense undergrowth as it was a much smaller and agile animal.

The dogs were not out of control and when I was aware of what happened I called my dogs and they came to me.

I then tied them (leashed) to a neighbouring property's gate.
The police were called and when the incident had been explained to them, they agreed that the dogs were not out of control and they said that it was simply a civil matter.
Had they considered that dogs were dangerously out of control they would have intervened and taken a more serious action.

The confrontation between the claimant's cat and my dogs occurred on a verge beside the road and after the cat had escaped through the dilapidated boundary fence from the land belonging to the defendant's mother
I have photographs which demonstrate the dense undergrowth and also the dilapidated fence which formed the boundary to the property from which the defendant's cat had escaped.

Anyway, the property referred to by the claimant does not belong to the claimant. It apparently belongs to her mother and therefore the claimant would not be in a position to complain of a trespass even if the claimant's account was correct.

Paragraph 3.2.1 of the claim – it is not clear accepted that the claimant is the owner of the cat.
The cat was at a property which does not belong to the claimant.
The defendant requires that the claimant provides evidence as to their ownership of the cat and is entitled to to make a claim

Paragraph 3.3.2 of the claim – this is not correct and the claimant has no evidence that this is correct.

The defendants dogs were not on the private property. 
It seems that
the cat had escaped or was allowed to roam from the property belonging to the claimant's mother by means of a dilapidated boundary fence and then through dense undergrowth and was now in an open field.
I believe that the dilapidated boundary fence belonged to the property from which the cat had escaped.
My dogs were not out of control. They were walking with me but then reacted in the way one might normally expect from dogs when a cat suddenly appears in front of them.
The cat appeared to be a valuable cat. Probably normally kept indoors and very nervous and unsure having been allowed to escape the property.

paragraph 3.4.3 of the claim -it is admitted that there was a fight between one of my dogs and the cat although I did not see it. I only heard it and I am unable to comment on the claimant's allegation.
However I repeat that the confrontation between the two animals did not occur on the property belonging to the claimant's mother.

paragraph 3.5.4 of the claim -once again, I did not see the confrontation. I only heard it. However I repeat that the confrontation did not occur on private land as alleged. It occurred in a hedge line approx 800m from the property on an open field after the cat had escaped or allowed to roam from the private property through a dilapidated boundary fence.
It is believed that the dilapidated boundary fence belonged to the property from which the cat escaped

Paragraph 3.6.5  of the claim - I did not run away from the scene.

Paragraph 3.7.6 of the claim - it is true that the police were called. I did not agree that I would be responsible for all the expenses incurred. However I was concerned about injuries to the animal and I did mention that I would be prepared to make a contribution to costs.

Paragraph 3.8.7 of the claim - I am unable to comment on this as I did not see it but I accept that this is probably correct

Paragraph 3.9.8 of the claim - I accept that this is probably correct

Paragraph 3.10.9 of the claim - it is true that I received a telephone call from the defendant's mother. It is not true that I agreed that I would be responsible for the veterinary fees.

Paragraph 3.11.10 I have not been provided with any evidence of this

Paragraph 3.12.11 of the claim - in the event that the court decides I am liable, I would dispute the amount of damages claimed.
For instance, although it may seem rather heartless, the cat is a "good" in the same way as a car or a washing machine.
Average life expectancy of a Bengal cat is 14 years and therefore any award for the value of the cat should be calculated on the basis that this is a four year old animal.

Also, there is no evidence that the claimant attempted to minimise the loss or to obtain comparative estimates

Also, if the court does decide that I am liable, then I would respectfully request the court to take into account the dilapidated condition of the barrier fence separating the property from which the defendants had escaped.
It is likely that if the fence had been properly maintained then the cat would have remained confined.
Also, a Bengal cat is normally a valuable animal and are mostly kept indoors. Clearly this cat had escaped and I believe that the claimant should explain why the cat was outside the house and outside the property at all and in fact why the cat had managed to escape through the boundary fence.

If the court does not accept that I am telling the truth then I would respectfully ask the Court to consider a reduction in damages to take into account the defendant's own contribution to the incident by allowing their cat to have escaped and to have passed through a dilapidated boundary fence.

Paragraph 3.1.3.12 of the claim - at no time did I agree to pay in full the claimant's expenses. I requested various documents from the defendant and have not been provided with them.
On that basis it is correct that I have refused to pay the amount requested. I did at one point offered to pay £300 as a goodwill gesture. As an animal owner myself I felt empathetic to the predicament of a fellow animal owner

Paragraph 3.18 of the claim - no photographs have been provided to me

Paragraph 3.19 of the claim - these photographs have not been provided to me

Paragraph 3.22 of the claim - I have not received any receipt from the local burial company

Paragraphs 3.23  to 3.29  of the claim - I have not been provided with a breakdown of total compensation as some specific expenses and receipts have not been provided.

To summarise, I have received demands for payment without any documents to substantiate the amounts requested.

statement of truth
signed
dated

• Like 1

After we have seen your comments, we may well want to make a couple of amendments.

I'm already interested in the fact that you called your dogs and they responded to you and came back. This is clearly evidence of dogs which are under control

• Like 1

thanks i will read it tomorrow.

i was on my own - no one was with me.

when you say "Why it was in the garden at all" the cat was not in a garden.....the cat was at the mothers 'business' property which is the field circled in blue.....the claimants residential address is about 2 miles from where the cat is kept in a barn in the field which is the mothers property.

other neighbours have said the cats sleep in the barn...so basically its not a normal pet that is kept at home.

she has other cats that roam the fields and roads...other neighbours are always saying they have to swerve her cats when they are in the road, she obviously has cats around to keep the mice population down..they are not pets in the traditional sense.

What I meant was – why was the cat out of the house – but I'm assuming that it it is a cat kept indoors. If that's not the case then my question has no meaning.

I should tell you now that I'm very pessimistic about your chances. They seem very well organised. They seem to have at least two witnesses in addition to the claimant.
I'm sorry to say but you seem to be less in control of handling this kind of procedure than they do.

Having left it to the last minute in the way that you have has not helped at all because we are doing things in a rush.

You certainly need to hold of these neighbours who apparently have had to swerve the cats. You need statements – as many as you can get from them.
Those statements would not only have to talk generally about the need to swerve or seeing the cats in the road – but it would be excellent if they could actually say – for instance, on XXX date when I was driving home, I nearly ran over a cat which had clearly strayed off the XXX property.

All of these statements need to be done independently and worded differently.

At some point you will get a directions questionnaire and will suggest that you go to mediation. I suggest that you accept mediation and unless you feel really strongly about your position and that you can defend it, if you can come to some kind of negotiation at the mediation stage then it might be the prudent way forward.

Don't forget that if you lose the case, you have to pay the hearing fee on top of the claim fee and also if there are costs of enforcement – if you don't pay up pretty well immediately after the judgement – you will have to bear those as well.