Jump to content

No council tax banding

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi apologies if this is posted in the wrong section but my question is kind of related to credit files.


I recently moved home to a new rented property.


My landlord who I know quite well told me they would pay my council tax for me. It is in my contract that I am not responsible for council tax which is great. Then when checking around for example for new energy suppliers I noticed some of them could not find my address on the drop down box after putting in my post code. No problem as I just enter addresses manually when needed. But found it a bit strange as the house is less than 30 years old but all other houses on my street come up.


I then owed a final payment for council tax from my previous address no problem I will clear it. Then I was curious how much the council tax is for my new rental property and went to check the band and it shows as deleted. The house is not under repair - its totally liveable and in very good condition and was previously used as holiday lets before I moved in.


Question is

why would it show as deleted and will this have any affect on my credit rating ? Because of the house not having a council tax band. I have applied to get on electoral role here and that is currently being processed. Im sure my landlord is not up to anything dodgy as they are very well off - own a number of properties and so on. Anyone know what this means or if it would affect me in anyway thanks )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked whether your property is on the Royal Mail Postcode Address File [PAF]? That is the definitive list of UK properties addresss used by just about everyone else. Easiest way to check is enter your address on the Royal Mail Postcode Finder and see what comes up.


Postcode Finder - Find an address | Royal Mail Group Ltd


If it isn't there you can report it to Royal Mail and get it added.


Report an incorrect or missing address | Royal Mail Group Ltd


It shouldn't affect you credit rating because of council tax because you aren't liable to pay it. If the council's electoral services say they can't put you on the Electoral Register that would definitely make it difficult to get credit. And if potential lenders can't find you on the PAF they might also decline to lend.


So if not on PAF report that to Royal Mail asap and get it put on.


Is where you live a whole house or is it a house that has been subdivided into flats? Sometimes a previous owner has created a separate flat in part of the premises and decided themselves to give it a new number. Eg the house is number 12 in the street and owner called the flat 12A but the owner never notified that to the local council or Royal Mail.  Although postie will still make post deliveries it then won't be in PAF.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I checked and my address is on PAF and listed.

Its a house not flats no other tenants. So far my change of address for the Electoral register is being processed got notifaction of that the other day.


I did double check my contract and clearly states landlord will pay council tax (and tv licence)

just strange the banding shows as being deleted. Maybe they get billed at there other address they live at in my City.


But if it dont affect my credit rate or future credit applications then all good. thanks for your reply.



Link to post
Share on other sites

It's on PAF so as far as credit is concerned lenders can verify your address against PAF and so that shouldn't cause you any problem.


Council tax isn't your problem as you have a signed contract confirming the landlord is paying it.  It's possible the change of use from holiday let to domestic dwellinghouse has required banding to be reviewed. As a holiday let maybe it was paying business rates not CT?


Just bear in mind that in law the person primarily responsible for paying both Council Tax and TV licence is the resident/occupier of the house, not the non-resident landlord. So if the landlord fails to pay CT/TVL it is you who would be in the firing line initially.  So you might want to ask the Landlord to confirm that they have in fact paid them.



  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes im aware im responsible but they have assured me they are paying it. And knowing what I do of them they have no reason not to pay - they are very stable financially both working in legal related occupations.


The banding shows as last being updated 2011 around the time the property became a holiday let. So dont know maybe I will ask them again to clarify. Thanks for your replies

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ethel Street said:

Sounds like it became liable for buisness rates not CT in 2011 and the owner will now have to go through the process of getting it banded for CT again. 


Yes I think your right I remember they did tell me they had written to the council last month informing them that they would paying Ctax and not the tenant. Think that is the answer and makes sense ) cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites



Just to add my air of caution here as the landlord may have mentioned they were informing the council they would pay council tax but you actually have no evidence of that bar it written in your tenancy agreement.


As has been previously stated it is you that is responsible for checking whether you pay council tax and tv licence not the landlord.


My advice is I would contact the Council and inform them of the date you moved in and whether you are liable for council tax as you tenancy agreement states landlord pay this and you want clarification. (checking is very simple and also covers your back but make sure to get that clarification from the council in writing and keep it safe)


I would say to anyone that has that written on any tenancy agreement that landlord pays council tax to always check yourself with the council and get their response in writing as it is your legal responsibility to check if you pay council tax not the landlord.



  • Thanks 1
  • I agree 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...