Insurance Cancelled without notice or letter after eleven months on cover

sean110869
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 489 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

I am a courier and my van insurance was due for renewal on the 08.01.23 so have been shopping around to look for new insurance, and was made up that I got a quote this morning for 1733.00 GBP.

I then chased up my existing brokers today to see if they could compete with the price only to be told they had just spoken to my insurers to confirm the renewal price and did I know that my policy had been cancelled as the insurers

they had sent me a letter on the 05.12.22 asking me for the V5 and confirmation that telematics had been fitted to which I had not replied. Why? Because I never received it, presumably due to the strike's. they did however have my email and had not told my broker or called me

my first question is does anyone think it is unreasonable of me to have expected my insurers to make a bit more effort especially when their actions mean I have been driving and working in my van blissfully unaware I was no longer insured, which if I had been pulled would have been six points a fine and possible suspension. 

They had a copy of my V5 back in January this year and I spoke to my broker on the 24.01.22 to confirm this, having received a seven day notice letter then,

they also never asked me to fit a telematics either when I took out the policy or in the seven day letter & if they did I would have said no,

I am fifty three years old and do not like the idea of being tracked by anyone let alone my insurance who were already being paid over two thousand pounds by me for the privilege of them insuring my vehicle.

No one has contacted me about any of this until today, so for eleven months I have been driving around delivering goods with no issues with my insures even made a claim for storm damage in March and not a word. 

Now thanks to the insurers,  I was left in limbo forty miles from home driving illegally so was desperate for insurance as I was working and had my customers goods on.

Having had the insurance cancelled the new brokers could no longer honour the cheap quote or even insurer me but my existing broker could but at an extra 665.00 GBP.

I feel that given the circumstances my old insurers should at least pay this extra cost plus the months cover I paid for but have not received.  

Has anyone encountered a similar problem either on this forum or in their other lives and how did you go about resolving it. 

Yes seen similar problems where the Insurers or brokers have not communicated important information.

There should have been an endorsement on the Insurance when you arranged stating the date by which you needed to have telematics installed.  And this important information should have been advised, before you paid the first payment for the policy.

Make a complaint via the brokers, as either brokers or Insurers or both have not complied with FCA ICOBS rules regarding how they handled your Insurance. 

WWW.HANDBOOK.FCA.ORG.UK

ICOBS 6 about providing information is important.

Send a data protection SAR request broker and Insurance to get held of all of the information they hold. Might help, if you wanted to pursue by taking broker and/or Insurers to Court.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread