DWP chasing me for a 29 year debt!!

gloryhunter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 593 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

It's been a while since I posted here but I'm in need of some advice again,

after my last post a good few years ago I got the result I wanted with the help of you guys so I thought I would see if you could help me one last time?

The DWP sent me a letter stating I owe them nearly £3k !!! From an over payment of income support from 1991.

After racking my brain i managed to work out the last time I got any kind of help from the government would of been 1985 so where this has come from is a total shock .

The letter said you owe us £3k here is how to pay nothing stating when it was from

I rang them asked if they could explain what date this was from they told me March 1991 to August 1993

I'm pretty certain I was working at sea as a self employed Deckhand earning a good wage so why I would apply for income support?

Now my question is

surely they can't send me a letter stating I owe them without paperwork work to back it up ?

Is there a way I can get my hands on this supposed claim I made ? 

Many thanks

Gloryhunter01 

:) HFO fan club member :) HFO V GLORYHUNTER ( WON ) :)

0 - 1

Ask them for proof.  Send a Data Protection Subject Access Request  ( SAR  )asking for DWP to provide all records related to the alleged debt.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Pop onto the dwp site.

I think there is one there online?

They must be able to prove the debt and not just by a note made by an external audit firm that says so .

We've seen alot of these, they have no actual data!!

Moved you to the benefits forum as you'll see other like threads here 

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

use the one on the DWP site.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 5 weeks later...

Up Date.

I've had a letter from The DWP stating and I quote ' we have carried out a thorough search of.all the records held by the DWP however  there are no interest or benefits listed  and so we cannot provide any information "

So I have been paying of a debt since 2015 apparently! Through a DEO and they have nothing to back up the claim ! No paper work nothing !!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gloryhunter.

0 - 1

Then you now need to write to them and inform them of such 

Stating you now demand the DEO is cancelled and all payments returned along with the standard flat rate 8% interest 

Dx

and they

Thanks DX I will I find it astounding how a government department can just get a DEO just like that ! I shall be writing to them ASAP.

I have also got my local mp involved he has said he will ask the question for me! Gloryhunter 

Edited by gloryhunter

0 - 1

Mistakes happen when data is transferred when systems are updated or data is extracted.

Seen this happen in private sector as well.

Someone could have extracted data from old records and your national number has erroneously been confused with someone else owing the debt ?

If they cannot prove the debt, they need to refund what they have collected so far and clear the debt noted against you. It is up to DWP to then review their records.  If they find proof you definitely owe the debt they can come back later to collect.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread