PM Vs Bank of Ireland

pmcmurrough
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's not that sort of charge - the charges the Consumer Council are referring to are charges for things like paying Direct Debits, paying cheques - NOT punitive charges.

They are just saying that a few banks have effectively 'price fixed' their service charges.

This is an entirely different matter.

The BBC article wasn't very clear about that, but that's what it was referring to.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, I'm currently about to pursue Bank of Ireland and Ulster Bank on behalf of myself and both of my parents. My problem is that my parents dont have all their bank statements. The accounts were opened within the last 6 years and in one case the bank has closed one of the accounts (basically for bouncing too many cheques). So I'm applying for DPA request. My question is can I still go after a bank when the account has been closed?

Also if anyone has had any success in receiving money from NI banks please let me know.

Thanks

I have just sent the Data Protection letter to the First Trust Bank asking for my statements for the past 6 years. I have been charged colossal fees during this period. I would love to hear from anyone who has had any dealings with the First Trust regarding reclaiming their fees

Hi folks

I'm a newbie to this forum,I think it's great so excuse me if I post this in the wrong area.

My story is that over the past 2 months I have incurred somewhere in the region of £700 plus of Unpaid fees,referral charges etc.

Compounding my situation also are the people that haven't been paid as they are also charging me fees...talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place!!!

I know if I go back over six years it will be a great deal more.

Th other annoying thing is that I don't even get a letter to say that an item/s have not been paid....If I received a letter I would then feel that I was at least getting something for the charges I've paid!!!!

I would like to take this further,but somehow am afraid that they will close my account down and as we already have the other 3 Northern Irish Banks under investigation it doesn't bode well if you need to change accounts?

your thoughts,comments and advice would be grately appreciated.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

got my reply from first trust bank this morning.

to paraphrase, it says that i have already had a full set of statements, and any manual intervention was due to me having insufficient funds, and levied according to their price list.

so it's all my fault.

i am going to write a letter today stating that the 40 days are running out and that i am entitled to this information under the DPA.

• 3 weeks later...

got my information today but cannot understand it. it looks on first glance to be a copy of every direct debit and payment that has been made in the last 6 years with no mention of whether or not there has been a charge made. i will examine it closer tonight, to see if i can make sense of it. has anyone received dpa request in a very hard to work out format.

• 4 weeks later...

:-| hi there i am a single sahm mum of 3 i get my benefits paid into the bank of ireland i also get dla for my son and it gets paid into my account bank of ireland charges me aprox £30 every 3 mths which is a lot to me this is for each time i use my card or pay a direct debit i think it is unfair but what can i do about it my friend has an account with the ulster bank and gets charged nothing but to cahnge everything would be a lot of hassle can anyone advise thanks

to change everything from one current account to another is a very simple thing to do

open another account

there is 1 single form that the bank has to fill in to change all payment and debits to another bank.

make an appointment with a manager or assisstant and tell them that you are going to do this and i can bet you any money that they will put your account so that it does not have the ridiculous charges.

it may be helpful to ring another bank and enquire about opening an account and transferring everything over.

the other option is to start and chase them for all of the charges.

i have informed northern bank (05/june/06) that i want all my charges for the last 6 years ,they have tried to fob me off by telling me it will cost me a fortune for the bank to do this .look under forum for data protection & get all of them for £10.keep in touch

• 1 month later...

How is the OP doing with his claim?

I have finally got the DPA information I requested - the charges amount to £3951 from 2000 to 2004 (when the account was operational). Obviously I have now drafted a letter asking them for this back. I assume that they will know the max for small claims court is £2000, has anyone else claimed for more that the small claims limit and been successful? Or how do you get around this? I'm sure the bank wont just refund me the £3951 before it goes to court!

I have read over all the threads regarding NI banks, seems like a lot of to-ing and fro-ing.

Has anyone had any joy in N.I at all?

Does it seem strange to anyone else that Ulster Bank sent me all my statements from 2000 without a problem and they also sent them very promptly as well???

Come on Norn Iron peep's give me some feedback!!!

Whipper

you have got it right..... an awful lot of farting around.

the main problem is that they haven't got a clue what they are doing.

there was a man who got £684??? back from the ulster, but i have asked the question on numerous threads and i am not hearing of a lot of successes. there are a maybe 6 or 8 claims progressing well against local banks.

• 2 weeks later...

hi can anyone tell me if bank of ireland has stopped their charges?? i ask because about the 3rd week in june i should have but never received a letter to tell me when charges were going to be put on should have been end of june it usually amounts to about £34 there has been no charges taken from my account ??:rolleyes:

Asked northern bank in belfast on 05/june/06 for 6years charges ,its now the end of july and no reply from them. Banks in Northern Ireland seem to think their customers are invisible or non exsistant.:-x now waiting for reply from d p a roll on august:-x

Asked northern bank in belfast on 05/june/06 for 6years charges ,its now the end of july and no reply from them. Banks in Northern Ireland seem to think their customers are invisible or non exsistant.:-x now waiting for reply from d p a roll on august:-x

have you paid your £10 fee as the 40 days only starts when they receive this

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I sent my Data Protection Act letter to the Bank of Ireland and within the 40 days they had replied with copies of bank statements and a letter saying that older info and manual intervention info takes longer to obtain and it would be forwarded to me in due course. That was almost 4 weeks now and no joy, so tomorrow I intend to phone them - I realise phone calls aren't ideal, but i intend to follow this up with a letter.

Lindsay-Lou

Hi Lindsay-Lou

I sent for statements from the Ulster Bank at the beginning of July. I received them a couple of weeks later, but only the older ones (first 3 years) and despite numerous phone calls, can get no real joy with the rest.

I have decided to stick with the timelines on this site and sent my Prelim Request a few days ago. When the rest turn up I will amend accordingly. I will continue to pursue them to provide the missing statements. I have been waiting since March for full statements from TSB and Cap One and don't want to fall into this trap again. I feel that if I don't go ahead with the limited statements I have, the banks will just keep stringing me along.

Good luck with yours

Bettyboop

Ulster Bank -

Data Protection Act Sent 16 June 2006

Preliminary Request for payment sent 5 Aug 2006 - £1690.02

LBA sent 17 Aug 2006

Claim submitted 27.9.06 Total £2439.45

Lloyds TSB -

Data Protection Act sent 9 March

Half statements received 5 July (half missing)

Prelim Req for Pay sent 9 August (partially estimated)

LBA sent 25 August 2006 (£393.00) missing statements received

Claim submitted 27.9.06 Total £556.79 Papers served - response date 26 December 2006

Capitol One

Full and Final Settlement received for £1095.23

Nationwide

Prelim Request for repayment sent 26 August 2006 (£1469.50)

LBA sent 15 September 2006

ulster bank still charging 30.00 got another one yesterday

s.a.r handed to manager-2-8-06

aknowledgement letter recieved 4-8-06

letter from dpm 10-8-06

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance 10 days left 29-8-06

statements recieved 31/8/06

prelim letter 1/9/06

letter recieved from cru 9/9/06

lba-sent 15-9-06

small claims started 17-9-06

agreed to settle

with condition removed that i cant make another claim

waiting for funds

part 2

small claims for £893 filed 14/10/06

ulster bank still charging 30.00 got another one yesterday

My husband got charged yesterday as well - from Northern Bank. He called them up and they re-embursed him no problem. The charges are usually automatic, so calling the branch and doing a bit of sweet talking is sometimes as much as you need to do to get it back

could any one tell me is it possible to get information of the northern bank

under the data protection act,even though the account has been closed

for 4to5 years and i dont have the account no.in my case it would be well

worth the £10 fee to find out how much they took of me when i was at

my lowest.

allso thankyou to the people who repled to my other question.

seandoc

Edited;please note ......dont use these words !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks