• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Avon Car Sales - Dubious tactics not to refund for fault in car - court claim issued

Thanks but Yes you are a bit short. I know you're trying to help but you misunderstand & your tone could be better.  I have read it and its not that clear.  

To be clear, I put in what you recommended and it was too much.   I attach it again here for your review but I have already formatted it as a document but its the same.  I look forward to your advice ... 

PS. Andy, thanks for your reply.  Very clear & helpful.  Unlike some of the MCOL Guidelines.

Accompanying Précised version for online particulars:

The claimant bought a car registration XXX from the defendant. Within a week the car displayed a serious fault and subsequent investigation revealed further serious defects. The car is not of satisfactory quality and unroadworthy within the meaning of the road traffic accident 1988. The defendant refused to repair the faults insisting the claimant return the car at his own cost so the claimant rejected the car on the basis of the defendant's fundamental breach and returned the car. The defendant has refused to reimburse the claimant for the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. Claimant seeks reimbursement of these.

(Auto generated statement....

I will provide the defendant with separate detailed particulars within 14 days after service of the claim form.)
(Auto generated statement....

The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 04/11/2020 to 22/03/2021 on £3,965.88 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.87.)

Particulars of Claim

Between Claimant :    XXX

& Defendant :              XXX

1.   The claimant bought a Skoda Octavia Scout car registration XXX from the defendant with a 3 month warranty. 

2.   Within a week the car displayed a serious fault and subsequent investigation revealed further serious defects. The defects were reported to the defendant so was aware of the defects and the timeline. 

3.   The car is not of a satisfactory quality and unroadworthy within the meaning of the road traffic accident 1988. The vehicle could not be driven after investigation. 

4.   The defendant refused to consider any repairs unless the claimant return the car at his own expense which the claimant eventually did. 

5.   The defendant refused to repair all the faults and so the claimant rejected the vehicle on the basis of the defendant's fundamental breach. 

6.   The defendant has refused to honour their offer of a full refund and to reimburse the claimant for the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. 

7.   The claimant seeks reimbursement of the following costs & losses :

Car purchase price                          £3,495.00

Car transporter cost                        £   190.00

Independent engineers report        £   106.80 

Lost insurance                                 £    174.08

Total                                               £3,965.88 

plus interest and claim costs as prescribed in the Money claim procedure.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in these particulars of claim are true. 

Claimant signed :                                                                    Date:       

Print Name          :           

For Information

The POC are restricted to 24 lines of 45 characters and a total of 1080 characters. If you type more than this the last part of your text will not appear on the claim. Please be aware that the website will only accept the following punctuation; full stop, comma, pound signs.

If you do not have enough space to explain your claim online and you need to serve extra, more detailed particulars on the defendant, please tick the box that appears after the statement ‘you may also send detailed particulars direct to the defendant’.

Please be aware this will then reduce the amount of space left in the main particulars box by three lines. This is because a statement is automatically added explaining you will be serving further particulars.

You will be able to see the extra information added in the next screen “Summary”.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Okay, sorry about the delay.

If you could kindly post up the the draft that you are proposing to put up on the money claim particulars and then we will work at that.

If you're getting confused by the money claim website then please ask questions here rather than going ahead without consulting us.

We are working hard to get it right for you and it's unhelpful when people start taking their own actions – even if they think that it's for the best.

There is almost never any need to send additional particulars of claim and it simply complicates the issue. Also, sending a minimal particulars of claim means that the other side are kept more in the dark other than as to the basic cause of action. They then normally produce a defence without the cues provided for them in the particulars of claim and it gives you a better idea of their hand.

The correspondence that has been exchanged between you has made them aware of pretty well all the issues anyway.

So please put up the draft that is too long and we will see about trimming it.

Hi.  Thanks.   I précised it already in post #79 above.   If I uncheck the box for extra particulars, it would afford me an extra line.  See what you think.

The claimant bought a Skoda car registration xxx from the defendant car dealer. Within a week the car displayed a serious fault and investigation revealed further serious defects. The defendant is aware of the defects and the timeline. The car is not of a satisfactory quality and probably unroadworthy within the meaning of the road traffic accident 1988. The vehicle could not be driven. The defendant refused to consider any repairs unless the claimant return the car at his own expense – which the claimant eventually did. – The defendant refused to repair all the faults and so the claimant rejected the vehicle on the basis of the defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant has refused to reimburse the claimant for the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. The claimant seeks £3,495 [cost of the car], £190 car transporter cost, £106.80 [89 + Vat] cost of independent engineers report, £174.08 lost insurance- total £3,965.88 plus interest plus costs.

The above is what I drafted for you previously. According to the account on my copy of Microsoft Word, it runs to 160 words – 980 characters including spaces.

Is this the one that you say doesn't fit?

Here is an updated draft which adds a further useful allegation to your particular claim.

The claimant bought a car registration xxx from the defendant dealer. Within a week it displayed a serious fault. Investigation revealed further serious defects. The defendant is aware of the defects and the timeline. The car is not of a satisfactory quality and probably unroadworthy within the meaning of the road traffic accident 1988. The vehicle could not be driven. Defendant  is also Trading unfairly within the meaning of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as the Defendant refused to repair it unless the claimant returned the car at his own expense – which the claimant did. – The defendant refused to repair all the faults so the claimant rejected the car on the basis of the defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant has refused to refund the claimant the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. The claimant seeks £3,495 refund £190 car transporter cost, £106.80 cost of independent engineers report, £174.08 lost insurance- total £3,965.88 plus interest plus costs.

Please let me know if this fits. As far as I can see it comes to 1033 characters including spaces

Edited by BankFodder
amendments

This is where it reaches .....

"The claimant bought a car registration xxx 
from the defendant dealer. Within a week it 
displayed a serious fault. Investigation 
revealed further serious defects. The 
defendant is aware of the defects and the 
timeline. The car is not of a satisfactory 
quality and probably unroadworthy within the 
meaning of the road traffic accident 1988. 
The vehicle could not be driven. Defendant  
is also Trading unfairly within the meaning 
of The Consumer Protection from Unfair 
Trading Regulations 2008 as the Defendant 
refused to repair it unless the claimant 
returned the car at his own expense – which 
the claimant did. – The defendant refused to 
repair all the faults so the claimant 
rejected the car on the basis of the 
defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant"

I think we can remove this "The vehicle could not be driven." as this is what they are relying on.  That's why I had added "after investigation".   My main defence when to their claim that I drove the car several thousand miles knowing that there was a fault  is that NO one told me that I shouldn't which I can show.

Where does this take you to?

The claimant bought a car registration xxx 
from the defendant dealer. Within a week it 
displayed a serious fault. Investigation 
revealed other serious faults.
Defendant is aware of the faults and the 
timeline. The car is of unsatisfactory 
quality and probably unroadworthy per the road traffic accident 1988. 
Defendant  is also trading unfairly per The Consumer Protection from Unfair 

Trading Regulations 2008 as the they 
refused to repair it unless the claimant 
paid for its return– which 
the claimant did. Defendant refused to 
repair all the faults so the claimant 
rejected the car for the defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant

I simply taken what you did up to the word "the defendant" and reduced it.

Now you need to add the stuff that was missing from your version and see where that takes you to

Ok .... we're down to FUNDAMENTAL

The claimant bought a car registration xxxxxxx from the defendant dealer. Within a week it displayed a serious fault. Investigation revealed other serious faults. Defendant is aware of the faults and the timeline. The car is of unsatisfactory quality and probably unroadworthy per the road traffic accident 1988. Defendant  is also trading unfairly per The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as the they refused to repair it unless the claimant paid for its return– which the claimant did. Defendant refused to repair all the faults so the claimant rejected the car for the defendant's fundamental breach.

The defendant refused to repair all the faults so the claimant rejected the car on the basis of the defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant has refused to refund the claimant the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. The claimant seeks £3,495 refund £190 car transporter cost, £106.80 cost of independent engineers report, £174.08 lost insurance- total £3,965.88 plus interest plus costs

8 hours ago, Sc0ut said:

Ok .... we're down to FUNDAMENTAL

The claimant bought a car registration xxxxxxx from the defendant dealer. Within a week it displayed a serious fault. Investigation revealed other serious faults. Defendant is aware of the faults and the timeline. The car is of unsatisfactory quality and probably unroadworthy per the road traffic accident 1988. Defendant  is also trading unfairly per The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as the they refused to repair it unless the claimant paid for its return– which the claimant did. Defendant refused to repair all the faults so the claimant rejected the car for the defendant's fundamental breach.

The defendant refused to repair all the faults so the claimant rejected the car on the basis of the defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant has refused to refund the claimant the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. The claimant seeks £3,495 refund £190 car transporter cost, £106.80 cost of independent engineers report, £174.08 lost insurance- total £3,965.88 plus interest plus costs

There is a duplicated sentence

OK  .... we're down to "3,495"  ....

The claimant bought a car registration xxxxxxxx from the defendant dealer. Within a week it displayed a serious fault. Investigation revealed other serious faults. Defendant is aware of the faults and the timeline. The car is of unsatisfactory quality and probably unroadworthy per the Road Traffic Act 1988. Defendant  is also trading unfairly per The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as the they refused to repair it unless the claimant paid for its return which the claimant did. Defendant refused to repair all the faults so the claimant rejected the car for the defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant has refused to refund the claimant the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. The claimant seeks £3,495 

refund £190 car transporter cost, £106.80 cost of independent engineers report, £174.08 lost insurance- total £3,965.88 plus interest plus costs.

Can't see how to further edit it save 2 words.     Just a thought, rather than lose the substance trying to edit out a whole line, the Extra Particulars posted were your words but just reformatted to look more official.  It adds a layer of complication on my side but its the same words & I don't mind if it means getting it right.

Thanks

The claimant bought a car reg xxxxxxxx from  defendant dealer. In a week it displayed a serious fault. Investigation revealed other serious faults. Defendant is aware of the faults and the timeline. The car is  unsatisfactory quality and probably unroadworthy per the Road Traffic Act 1988. Defendant  is also trading unfairly per The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as they refused to repair it unless claimant paid for its return which the claimant did. Defendant refused to repair all the faults so  claimant rejected the car for the defendant's fundamental breach. The defendant  refused to refund the claimant for the car and costs and losses. The claimant seeks £3,495 

refund £190 car transporter , £106.80 independent engineer report, £174.08 lost insurance- total £3,965.88 + interest 

We are on our way there. See where that gets you. You don't need to put costs at the end because actually that's included in the form

Yes ....  This is what MCOL puts in automatically ... The claimant claims interest under section 69
of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of
8% a year from 04/11/2020 to 22/03/2021 on
£3,965.88 and also interest at the same
rate up to the date of judgment or earlier
payment at a daily rate of £0.87.

Okay, in that case you how it fits without the reference to interest as well – as long as the interest is eventually claimed

This fits ....

The claimant bought a car registration xxxxxxx from the defendant dealer. Within a week it displayed a serious fault. Investigation revealed other serious faults. Defendant is aware of the faults and the timeline. The car is of unsatisfactory quality and probably unroadworthy per the Road Traffic Act 1988. Defendant  is also trading unfairly per The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as the they refused to repair it unless the claimant paid for its return which the claimant did. Defendant refused to repair all the faults so the claimant rejected the car for the defendant's fundamental breach.

The defendant has refused to refund the claimant the cost of the car and associated costs and losses. The claimant seeks full reimbursement 

Plus Mcol statement of interest

Edited by Sc0ut

We haven't detailed your other losses. Just a total

I think you misunderstood me when I said don't bother to put costs at the end. I was referring to court costs. I think your losses need to be detailed – even if minimally

Claimant bought a car reg GV08XRR from the defendant. Within a
week it displayed a serious fault.
Inspection revealed more serious faults.
Defendant is aware of the faults and 
timeline. The car is unsatisfactory
and probably unroadworthy per 
Road Traffic Act 1988. Defendant is also
trading unfairly per The Consumer Protection
from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as 
they refused to repair it unless the claimant
paid for its return which he did.
Defendant refused to repair all the faults so
the claimant rejected the car for the
defendant's fundamental breach.
The defendant has refused to refund the cost
of the car and associated costs and losses.
The claimant seeks full refund £XXX + Car transporter £XXX+inspection £XXX+Insurance £XXXX

does that work?

Ok,  we stated that there were costs & losses & gave a total amount.  The dealer will fight the case & probably counter claim to reduce the amount he has to reimburse so the details will come out then won't they?  Else we put the details in extra particulars if needed.    

Claimant bought a car reg GV08XRR from the defendant. Within a
week it displayed a serious fault.
A report revealed more serious faults.
Defendant is aware of the faults.The car is unsatisfactory
and probably unroadworthy per 
Road Traffic Act 1988. Defendant is also
trading unfairly per Consumer Protection
from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 as 
they refused to repair it unless claimant
paid for its return which he did.
Defendant refused to repair all the faults so
the claimant rejected the car for the