• Tweets

• I'll take a look in the loft - bear in mind it's 10-12 years ago, and we've had an extension built up there recently so hopefully I can find the folders they're in! 
    • Okay. Very scientific – but I think you have zero chance of getting if you take it to court. I think you will have to show actual loss and the court will think that you are trying to make a money grab. There could be a chance if you play very carefully to get 900 quid instead of the service – but that would be the maximum. If you bring a County Court action then I'm certain that you will win but the entire dispute will have done to a question of how much you are entitled to receive by way of compensation. It's up to you. If you want to see for £1900 then we will help you. However, you have to pay a claim fee based on the £1900 claim and then hearing fee based on the same amount if you go to trial. If I am right that you are awarded less then any costs you might be awarded will be based on the amount wanted to you – and not the value of your claim. I think you should be a bit more careful and realistic about what you want to claim – but it's up to you.
    • My story starts with being issued a windscreen PCN on 8/3/24 which was almost immediately removed and a second  PCN was then  sent by post on 13/3/24  [deemed delivered 15/3/24] which I did not receive and had to send an sar to have that particular mess revealed later  but that is not the reason for my complaint. UKPC then sent a Keeper Liability Notice dated 12/4/24 warning me that as 28 days have now elapsed, I as keeper am now liable for the charge.  This is in direct contravention of PoFA since the keeper does not become liable to pay until the day after the original PCN is deemed to have been given which would have been 13/4/24 -a Saturday ]. Not only does it not comply with PoFA but it fails to adhere to your Code of Practice and is in breach of their agreement with the DVLA.  I have included copies of both Notices for information. You will realise the seriousness of this situation if this is standard practice from the UKPCM to all motorists or just those where windscreen tickets are involved since the Law regarding PoFA is being abused and it is unfair to misguide motorists. I await your  response which I understand will usually be within a week.
    • It probably deletes after a certain time. What a shame you did not check at the time. However I have no doubt that there was a PCN envelope under your windscreen wiper  as shown quite clearly on one of the photographs. . It would seem strange that it was placed there empty hence the reason I stated a second Notice was issued [though not necessarily sent. As I said in that letter to IPC that was not what the complaint was about and probably  IPC will ask about that at the same time if they accept you  going direct to IPC for the other matter. It is immaterial how many original PCNs were issued or not issued. You are able to show the two that you have from their sar one of which coincides with the one you received in the post and that is the one that does not agree with the date times of PoFA. Thus breaching not only the Act, but also the IPC  Code of Conduct and the ability of UKPCM to obtain data from the DVLA. So leave that part of the letter as good to go. However as it is as Dave [Thank you Dave!} pointed out that it is UKPCM and not UKPCI have amended the letter and posted it below.
    • Just under half of young savers put away at least 20% of their monthly income, compared to just 12% of 45- to 54-year-olds.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bought a Clocked & damaged Car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

By the way, you might imagine that with all the GDPR revolution of the last couple years and the big push on new standards and new transparency et cetera that all the companies would be on top of it and squeaky clean.

In fact the view that I've taken is that the GDPR initiative has backfired because it has produced such a deluge of complaints to the ICO that they aren't able to handle it any more. This means that it takes ages – maybe three months even to get a reference number and longer to get your complaint dealt with. I have a sense that they are prioritising them and not dealing with them all and sending you back  again and again to the data processor to get a solution there – and if you get a solution, then the ICO don't seem to be very interested in at least admonishing the processor for a statutory breach.

The ICO is under resourced and didn't receive the basics that it needed in order to deal with the new GDPR regime. The companies supplied huge funds to it all – and I think they now realise that it hasn't made a huge amount of difference – and in fact that life has become easier for them because an overworked ICO is less likely to apply sanctions.

At the end of the day, the victim of it all is the data subject – you, and me, and one man and their dog

• Like 1

Well spotted

They haven't yet filed a defence and so you haven't yet had a directions questionnaire.

I suggest that you send them a letter of claim giving them 14 days or you will take legal action. All that does is reserve your position. You don't need to go ahead with it. But on the other hand, although it's not the way to do it, when you get the directions questionnaire – assuming that they defend your claim – then you might like to inform the judge that you wish to amend your claim to include a claim for compensation for breach of statutory duty because of their non-compliance with the DPA rules.

It wouldn't be very much. I would suggest simply £50 for distress – and that will do it. The important thing is to keep it as a money claim so that it doesn't complicate things – but if you happen to get a judgement for 50 quid then that would be the equivalent to getting a proper judgement for breach of statutory duty.

I suppose it's unlikely to happen because they will react before then – but if you did get such a judgement, then you could usefully forwarded to the FCA and also the ICO and of course we would publish it here

I will get the LBA drawn up. If i was to file it as a totally separate case do you think it would be viewed as acceptable? It's cheaper to file a £50 claim than to pay the application fee to amend the current claim? also, with the potential part 20 defendant of Pentagon Ltd being brought in, it might be cleaner?

Well you are certainly right about the cost .  Can't decide what would be best. I was rather hoping that if you included the application on the directions questionnaire that it might slip by. Send the letter of claim anyway – you have two weeks to think about it

• Thanks 1

Strictly speaking a claim under the DPA would be a part 8 claim because you would effectively be asking for an order that they comply with your subject access request – and also definitely be asking for a judgement. This takes you into difficult terrain. No small claims. Danger of costs if you lose. Much more complicated procedure all round.

So you simply express it as a money claim for 50 quid.

If you want to issue the claim then will help you prepare a little particulars which will get it through.

• Thanks 1

Letter Before Action

Sirs,

On 24 August 2020 I made an SAR by email. You acknowledged this and asked for ID, which I supplied on 31 August 2020.

Since then despite having chased this by email on 2 occasions you have failed to make any further replies and you have failed to supply me with the data that I am entitled to. 

Your failure to give me the data is causing me a great deal of worry and I am very concerned as to why you are not sending it to me. 

If you do not supply the data within 14 days I will issue a County Court Claim against you for damages of £50 for the stress and worry that you are causing me by your failure to abide by the law.

Regards

XX

Edited by sallyblackburn

Sorry but £500 is out of the question.

Keep it to a very modest amount because the whole objective is to cause trouble – and not to make money. You won't be able to win this kind of money anyway on this claim

Just now, BankFodder said:

Sorry but £500 is out of the question.

Keep it to a very modest amount because the whole objective is to cause trouble – and not to make money. You won't be able to win this kind of money anyway on this claim

Typo, sorry - was the £50 you said. post edited.

Sent this today:

9 October 2020

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Sirs,

As it has not been possible to resolve this matter amicably, and it is apparent that court action may be necessary, I write in compliance with the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct.

On 12 August 2020 I made a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 2018. You acknowledged this on 24 August 2020 and asked for confirmation of ID and address, which I supplied to you on 31 August 2020.

Since then – despite my having chased this by email on 2 occasions - you have failed to make any further replies and you have failed to supply me with the data that I am entitled to. 

Your failure to give me the data is causing me a great deal of worry and I am very concerned as to why you are not sending it to me. 

If you do not supply the data within 14 days, I will issue a County Court Claim against you for damages of £50 for the distress and worry that you are causing me by your failure to abide by the law. You will know that you were required to provide the data within 30 days, unless you gave me compelling reasons as to why it would take you longer.

I look forward to hearing from you within the next 14 days. Should I not receive a response to my letter within this time frame, then I anticipate that court action will be commenced with no further reference to you.

In closing, I would draw your attention to paragraphs 15 and 16 of the Practice Direction which gives the courts the power to impose sanctions on the parties if they fail to comply with the direction including failing to respond to this letter before claim. 

Faithfully,

• Like 1

Creation have a appointed the city law firm Eversheds to defend the section 75 car claim. They claim that they have filed an AoS stating that they intend to defend in full. Will update when the defence is filed. 

Edited by sallyblackburn
  • Thanks 1

I don't exactly want to tell you that I told you so – but I think now we may be seeing that it would have been helpful if you had sued the dealer as well

Why would it have been helpful? Creation were always going to employ a massive law firm and were always going to file a defence, have I missed something? Creation can either bring Marshalls in as a part 20 defendant or they can charge them through their contractual mechanisms.

Because it would have pitted them against each other. The dealer would have been the weaker party - and it would have been interesting if Evershed's had then been asked to defend both of them. I can imagine any way that Evershed will try to fix the blame on the dealer – and although I don't see that working – if it did, then you would be left to sue the dealer separately.
It is the dealer who has misled you and I think that you would need to establish their responsibility – and by suing creation alone, the dealer are not a party and therefore they can't be obliged to provide evidence or to make sworn statements et cetera so you can't force them at the moment to contribute anything useful to the litigation. They would need to be made a party in order to do that

At the moment you will have to produce evidence to attack Evershed's which in fact will be evidence that really is only directly in the knowledge of the dealer so in a way you will be relying upon hearsay. Of course you are a litigant in person so you have some licence – but still, it would have been better to make sure everybody had been invited to the party so that they were all accessible to directions to produce evidence – and at the moment they're not

I am hoping that they will bring a counterclaim against Marshall, properly pleaded. If they leave marshall out of it, it does not hurt evidentially. I have lots of evidence. recordings, emails, reports, contracts, I have loads of stuff.

The only thing that would concern me would be if they denied s.75 applied for some very technical reason. Other than that I have the evidence.

Yes but you are in a position where you have to begin by approving the substantive liability. Although section 75 of the consumer credit act means that the finance company shares contractual liability equally with the dealer, you have to prove the liability first.

If you want to think of it in terms of tort – what you're saying here is that creation are vicariously liable for the acts of the dealer. This is broadly correct – but on the other hand, you need to prove the substantive liability of the actor first before you can then transfer the liability to the responsible third party

I don't see any reason why they should bring a counterclaim against Marshall or anyone. All they have to show us that they didn't breach the contract – and they didn't

And incidentally, you can only bring a counterclaim against somebody who was already a party to the claim. You have to be countering something.

I really have to disagree. They are liable for any breaches of contract or misrepresentations. On paper those are proven way beyond the civil standard. The documentary evidence of the mileage and the forensic reports alone are weighty, but combined with the video, the adverts and the approved scheme rules, they have a huge mountain to overcome. 

With Marshall not in as a D there is nobody to rebut. The salesman no longer works for them so they can't call him either way.

I am going to guess that the argument will be over the level of damages and possibly a technical argument over s75

"And incidentally, you can only bring a counterclaim against somebody who was already a party to the claim. You have to be countering something."

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part20#20.5

You can issue a counterclaim against a third party. It happens in s75 cases all the time.

Counterclaim against a person other than the claimant

(1) A defendant who wishes to counterclaim against a person other than the claimant must apply to the court for an order that that person be added as an additional party.

(2) An application for an order under paragraph (1) may be made without notice unless the court directs otherwise.

(3) Where the court makes an order under paragraph (1), it will give directions as to the management of the case.

Edited by sallyblackburn

Firstly, let me say that I hope you're right. However, as you say they are liable for breaches of contract or misrepresentations and those have to be proven first of all.

Let's see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

I hope so too.

I will post the defence when it arrives.

I am 50/50 as to whether I think they will bring Marshalls in as a part 20 defendant.

It both helps and hurts them, however as you say it will set them against each other, which may be a good thing for me.

Let's see.

Thank you .

I can't see why they should bring the dealer in. If the dealer isn't in it then there is no way to compel any direct evidence.

It certainly would be a good thing to have them against each other

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sallyblackburn said:

Creation were always going to employ a massive law firm

eversheds are solicitors for hire but part of the Creation Group of Companies or their parents - just one desk nearer the bog..

• Haha 2

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...