Dodgy MOT

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice please.

I purchased a car from a "trader" - the car was listed on Autotrader and it was delivered to me.

It transpired he was a dodgy dealer and has no interest in communicating further. The receipt did not have the person's name or address, the Autotrader site just has the "Trading name" but it's not a registered company.

I had the vehicle thoroughly examined by a mechanic, which I was sure wouldn't be needed as it passed a clean sheet MOT a week before the sale. The car should never have passed an mot, there is corrosion issues, handbrake not working, seatbelt mounting areas with holes in the chassis and most is not repairable.

I have submitted an MOT Appeal to the DVSA and am awaiting an appointment for a re-examination.

My question - If DVSA find that the MOT shouldn't have been issued, let alone on a clean sheet, could I hold the MOT test station accountable for the price lost because of the fraudulent test? 

I'm not talking about 1 or 2 faults, the car should've failed on at least 9 different items and I'm expecting them to put a prohibition on the vehicle once it is tested.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I seriously doubt it. There's always the disclaimer on the MOT that its not a guarantee of mechanical safety etc / substitute of mechanical inspection. Better off learn from mistake and get the mechanic on the job before you buy a car in future.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Can you give us a bullet-point time line for events, and identify the seller.

You say you bought the car from a "trader". If the seller was indeed a trader , you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

This should be far more helpful to you than complaining to the  DVSA about the MOT.

Once you confirm the timeline, we'll be able to suggest what you can do, and when you need to do it.

In the meantime, do all you can to find out what you can about the seller, their identity, their activities and address. 

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 4 weeks later...

by trader I expect it was a kerbside dealer who doenst ever give their proper address. As for the MOT, that is a matter for VOSA and the DoT. can you sue the garage for them passing a car that shouldnt pass? very tricky as you have to show they are not just inept or careless but deliberately conspired to do you out of money by agreeing with the seller of th vehicle to enter into a scheme with the sole purpose of selling a dodgy motor.

jusy being criminally intent isnt good enough, it has to follow a chain of events to get it to stick and they arent going to confess