Npower, faulty (slow) meter, charged new usage figures for many past years - now on prepay with huge debt? is this fair?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So when you moved into the property in October 2017 what electricity meter reading did you give them ?

It appears what has happened here, is that a wrong meter reading has been given to NPower sometime before April 2018.  So when you gave an actual meter reading in April 2018, this is why the huge bill was generated.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

On 10/03/2020 at 21:15, dx100uk said:

the fault was not yours so they can only backbill the correct usage calc for ONE year. 

why didn't the ombs realise this?

dx

I don't know

Electricity meter reading October 2017 67386

Electricity 24 April 2018 Your reading 84366

Not sure how you managed to consume so many units of Electric over a 6 month period. You gave NPower both of these readings !

During that period, what electrical appliances were you using ?

Did you have an immersion hot water tank permanently switched on to provide hot water ?  Or did you have other ways of heating hot water for washing etc ?

How did you heat the house ?  Gas boiler or electric heating. ?

Before you write to NPower we need to understand why your usage is so high for period and exactly what happened at the time.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you for replying.

1. I gave n power both of those readings.

2. No immersion permanently on.

3. Gas for hot water and heating.

4. Only using general appliances.

5. Nothing unusual happening.

Sounds like you gave NPower a wrong meter reading in October 2017. Or there was a serious problem with the wiring to the meter. People who live in flats, converted houses or mixed private/commercial units, sometimes have problems with their meters being charged for their neighbours energy usage.

There is no way that you would have used over £2000 worth of electricity over 6 months.

I can only suggest you start to put together a letter explaining everything to NPower is date order.  So from when you moved in, what type of home, how many occupants, what electrical appliances were in use typically ( mention that heating and water is via Gas Bolier).  I think you should question accuracy of meter reading you first gave NPower back in October 2017 or query the accuracy/working condition of the meter. 

It is up to you Sophie to spend the time to construct a letter using all of the information you have available. Only you have the information which is needed to take this forward.

Pointless just arguing 12 month backbilling, as between yourself and NPower you have ended up in a messy situation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does not make any sense. 

Your numbers seem wrong.

Can you explain why you used so much between 1/10/17 TO 24/4/18  ?   Did you give them a wrong meter reading ?  Have you asked NPower to find out what meter reading the previous occupier of the property registered.  They can find out, if it was reported.

There is a gap between 24/4/18  and  27/11/18.  Ask for meter readings and bills for between these dates, if you don't have them.

There is also a gap between 12/3/19 and  13/7/19.  Again you need meter readings and bills.

I will ask for those missing readings and bills.

I don't know why it is a large usage 1/10/17 TO 24/4/18.

Nothing unusual used.

I still believe it is their fault and old meter faulty.

They said it was running slow but I've not seen a report?

Ask for a copy of the report and ask whether the old meter is still available for independent inspection,  as you may want to arrange for this.

It is possible that the previous occupiers had tempered with the meter ?  

better to put actual and estimate.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok sorry.

Email from Npower

"We have been advised by the local Meter Operator that an engineer visited your home on 20 May 2019 and successfully performed a Meter Accuracy Portable Test on your electricity meter. The results of the meter test in their report was:

Performed MAT MSN F79E009062 type CREDIT constant pulse 150 Revs 10. Volts 238.90 standard time 56.71. act time 61.03. difference 4.32 meter accuracy 7.62 SLOW. read 06067.

Therefore, the meter was registering the electricity incorrectly as it was running slow. As this is outside of tolerance levels, we would require for the meter to be replaced so we would appreciate if you could advise us when you are available after 7 June 2019 for an engineer to exchange your meter."

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked for a copy of the report this was their response

"This is the information provided by the engineer who carried out the portable meter accuracy test on your original meter:

'Performed MAT – MSN) F79E009062 type= CREDIT constant/pulse= 150 Revs= 10. Volts= 238.90 stdrd time= 56.71. act time= 61.03. difference= 4.32 meter accuracy= 7.62% SLOW. read 01) 6067'

There is not a report prepared other than the above information. 

Please note that once a meter is removed from a property one of two things happens to it within weeks.

It is either sent for scrap and recycling

or it is checked, refurbished and placed into another home

- either way it will no longer be available for testing.

As the first meter you had was recording slow this will have been scrapped/recycled immediately. 

Also

"

"As you can see on the usage analysis
other than the periods 01/10/17 to 22/05/18 and
22/11/18 to 12/03/19 when your usage is 73-79 units per day
you have used between 19 and 49 units per day on average (depending on the time of year). 

The periods of higher usage have both been in the winter.
When we see this sort of variation in usage the most likely explanation is the use of an additional heating appliance, or an existing appliance having to be used more intensively/for longer times.

I appreciate that this increased usage is not evident during the winter of 2019/2020 when you had the pre-payment meter in place, this is quite a common occurrence as when you are having to credit the meter to keep it topped up for your usage it naturally makes you more conscious of high usage appliances and will likely use these less or not at all to keep your costs down. 

Bearing this in mind and the fault reported with the original meter the usage recorded across all three meters is comparable and would not indicate any other fault with the replacement meter or the pre-payment meter.

As you have not reported a fault with the pre-payment meter and the usage that is recording I presume you are satisfied this is recording accurately, if this is the case then you must also accept that the replacement meter in place from 11/06/19 to 19/11/19 was also accurate as this has recorded similar usage"

I Have sent this

First Meter - Electric                                                                              First Meter - Gas
27 November 2018  -  10 January 2019       = 2925 - units used           28 Nov 2018  -  29520 - meter reading
                                                                                                                17 May 2019  -  30993 - meter reading
                                                                                                                total days = 171 days
                                                                                                                   1473  units used  =  8.61 a day
16 January 2019  -  24 January 2019           = 1127 - units used
17 Febuary 2019 - 12 March 2019                =1608 - units used
total days = 76 days

5660 units used  = 74.47 a day.

prepayment meter readings  -  Electric               Prepayment meter readings - Gas
19 November 2019   - 12180-meter reading                    19 November 2019  -  362 - meter reading
26 January 2020   - 14641-meter reading                        19 April 2020  -  1995  -  meter reading
19 February 2020  15541-meter reading                          total days = 152 days
total days = 92 days

3361 units used  = 36.53 a day                                         1663 units used = 10.94 a day

Can anyone assist me please

May have a look later.

Still think you gave them a wrong meter reading when you moved in and this is why you have such a high debt.  

If you gave them wrong reading at the start and then provided the correct meter reading later, you suddenly have the massive jump in bill. And this has been added to, ever since. 

You have given no other reasons for using over £2000 in electricity in the year after you moved in.   

Did you ask NPower to check the final meter reading provider by previous occupiers ?  NPower can check this, to see if you gave a wrong meter reading.

which would mean you were over charged..not under charged

and which meter gas/electric?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This is a copy of the latest email

The accuracy of your original meter was tested and this meter was found to be 7.62% slow. This means your meter was under recording your actual usage. It is not npower's responsibility to explain how you have used the electricity, only to ensure your meter accurately recorded this and you are accurately billed for this. Our investigation confirmed that you were under charged for usage on the meter in place until 11/06/19.

It is not possible for your meter to correct itself after going wrong. Your usage returned to average levels between the higher usage periods and this confirms that your meter has accurately recorded the higher usage and you have a responsibility to pay for this usage. The balance incurred due to this is now being recovered via your pre-payment meter.

Please confirm what outcome you feel would be reasonable to your complaint by return and if we can agree to this we will. If we cannot I will refer your complaint to our final response team and they will email you with our final response.

if those are your details showing better hide them 

dx

and they

ok so parker readings and no is not yours..good

dx

and they