• Tweets

• So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have they actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
    • Am in the middle of selling my house but it's been held up as still showing a change on the property from welcome finance, have not had any contact from them for years or prime credit and need this sorting asap
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mutating Corona Virus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

15 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Well, the 50,000 figure is in line with the excess mortality figures from @ChrisGiles_ and the team at the FT have calculated, plus the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.

Excess mortality is not a reliable measure of Covid deaths. Even if you think it is then why doesn't the piece use Vietnam's to compare it with?

Interesting entry today from Richard North, analysing the hows and whys of the virus and also the misconceptions even Doctors have about it and its control.  http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87598#disqus_thread

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

7 minutes ago, cjcregg said:

Excess mortality is not a reliable measure of Covid deaths. Even if you think it is then why doesn't the piece use Vietnam's to compare it with?

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. And I'm entitled to mine, so I'll put my trust in the FT and the IFoA until they're proved wrong.

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

27 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. And I'm entitled to mine, so I'll put my trust in the FT and the IFoA until they're proved wrong.

Opinion's fine (when it has at least some factual basis). Misinformation isn't.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

The point is .. everyone knows that Johnson and his shysters are lying (hasn't he always)

.. despite the Johnson cheerleaders

I mean - sending nurses who volunteered to go to the frontline despite being aware of the dangers and shortages of protective equipment

... sent back to communities WITHOUT being tested about defines the depths of Johnson and Hancocks shabbiness I think.

But don't worry ... they are looking after their mates no matter how many times those mates have shafted and cheated the British taxpayer

(Doctors, campaign groups, academics and MPs)

"said the health secretary, Matt Hancock, had “accelerated” the dismantling of state healthcare and that the duty to keep the public safe was being “outsourced” to the private sector.

In recent weeks, ministers have used special powers to bypass normal tendering and award a string of contracts to private companies and management consultants without open competition."

So back to who we REALLY need to protect our NHS from eh?

Even the Express knows ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1270303/Matt-Hancock-coronavirus-UK-news-testing-failure-lockdown-latest-update

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

so, temperature scanners

Lets take Tesco as an example.

They have apparently given the Coronavirus business rates to shareholders in dividends .. as they didn't need it given a 30% boost in sales

an example of it being reported:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/04/08/tesco-sales-surge-nearly-third-covid-19-panic-buying/

Now I wonder how many temperature scanners could have been installed in major stores for that?

I would argue that the stores that were allowed to stay open had their benefit in spades ...

and only those forced to close should get the business rates holiday.

If that rebate had been given to stores allowed to stay open with a requirement to install temperature scanners ....

I mean, how hard can it be to add temp scanners to the theft and facial recognition cameras/scanners at every door?

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Like 1

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Even small stores could have been given a hand held ...

or even a 'face in front of' portable scanner that could be quickly made in bulk by furloughed engineering companies

... and need a clear beep before allowed to enter

The Tory Legacy

New figures from Office of National Statistics for England and Wales, alongside Scotland and Northern Ireland, shows death toll of 32,313

"Data published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed 29,648 deaths linked to coronavirus had taken place in England and Wales as of 24 April.

Including deaths for Scotland and Northern Ireland, the toll on this measure now amounts to 32,313.

According to the ONS report, of the deaths registered up to 24 April, 71.8 per cent (19,643 deaths) occurred in hospital. 5,890 deaths took place in care homes, 1,306 in private homes and 301 in hospices. This represents a fall of 12.6 per cent in hospital deaths, but an increase of 2,500 deaths in care home deaths compared to the week before."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-highest-europe-cases-covid-19-italy-spain-a9499181.html

IMO its worth looking at the contrast between the effectiveness of  NI's DUP driven UK type response and the RoI's, especially the border areas.

That also doesn't seem to cast the UK's 'response' in a good light.

The highest death toll in Europe - as sadly predicted.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Well, it looks like Farage thinks the loc-down and restrictions - even on travel shouldn't apply to him, despite him "previously accused those flouting lockdown rules of “middle-class hypocrisy”."

Farage went further 😕

“Yet when I went out at the weekend on Saturday I passed a local historical attraction, you couldn’t get in the carpark."

... Perhaps Should have got up a bit earlier to get a space Nigel

“I’ve never seen so many cyclists on the road in all my life."

“These aren’t short distance cyclists"

He'd clearly seen them over many miles while he was out and about ..

Never mind Nigel, you've been warned twice and broken the lockdown rules MANY times by your own admission

- more than most would get

I think an example should be made .. let alone the law upheld against repeat/consistant offenders

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

3 hours ago, cjcregg said:

Opinion's fine (when it has at least some factual basis). Misinformation isn't.

and HB has given many very valid and relevant references

You are just offering JUST your opinion, which clearly you think is fine

- and it is as far as it goes

- but your flying in the face of evidenced opinion is of minuscule value against supported opinion and in your face evidence .. in my opinion.

So How should we be testing, or not and if not why not?

and How do you excuse the UK having the highest death rate in Europe, despite having more warning and thereby more time to prepare and more detail on what happened elsewhere?

The 'Sick man of Europe' award should show who was right and who is wrong ...

and why isn't Farage being fined?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I take it TJ  you do not like  Boris?   who  else   do you think  should be in Government?

I follow no party  as at the end of the day they are all full of promises that no one  ever keeps,   I like   thousands  of others  have not seen my  family/grandchildren , for a long time,   I do not blame  the Government   for that but all the  selfish people   who insist on going out all the time,  the families   being caught  going to the seaside etc!

Yes   the Government  should have acted  sooner  but tbh I do not think anyone  could know  how  quick this  virus  was  going hit everyone,  my   granddaughter   who is 6 is totally  bewlidered   by the  fact  she has suddenly  be not allowed to go to school, see her friend, go out ( they do not even have a garden to play in )  yet if and when they go back to schhool  she will   more then likely  be in a new  class and new  year not knowing anyone  😕

I  just  hope   something is done and soon,  dread  to think what long term  effects  this is going have on the children  or anyone

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

4 minutes ago, snowdragon said:

I take it TJ  you do not like  Boris?   who  else   do you think  should be in Government?

Not a proven pathological self serving liar who has repeatedly demonstrated he cannot competently manage even quite small projects..

Some might argue they all lie .. but whether that is true or not, it beggars the question:

Who would you trust with your family if the choice was down to :

a) Someone who had told a white lie once or twice over a number of years when it was arguably necessary

b) Someone who repeatedly demonstrates they would lie through their teeth whenever they even thought it might be in their slightest interests

??

The Tory Legacy

58 minutes ago, tobyjugg2 said:

and HB has given many very valid and relevant references

You are just offering JUST your opinion, which clearly you think is fine

- and it is as far as it goes

- but your flying in the face of evidenced opinion is of minuscule value against supported opinion and in your face evidence .. in my opinion.

If I thought you were capable of honest and objective debate I'd answer you.

4 minutes ago, cjcregg said:

Why?

We clearly don't demand that of you, although it would be nice ...

Make a case ... if you have one

(fat chance)

Edited by tobyjugg2
  • Haha 1

The Tory Legacy

Seems Hancock won't answer even very basic questions either

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-contact-tracing-app-nhs-symptoms-uk-matt-hancock-a9499091.html

Whats the point of tracing if you aren't going to test to see if tracing needs to go a step further?

The Tory Legacy

One of the few interviews where the hard questions were asked and pressed despite the avoidance we so commonly see, and who'd have thought who it would be ..

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

1 hour ago, cjcregg said:

Improve your online life.

If anyone (so avoiding making this about any individual) repeatedly won’t engage in constructive debate: you can always block and move on .....

Equally, some posters (not thinking ‘cjcregg’!) may have me on mute, but that suits me too.......

18 minutes ago, BazzaS said:

If anyone (so avoiding making this about any individual) repeatedly won’t engage in constructive debate: you can always block and move on .....

I'm happy to listen to anyone but I'll choose who and what I respond to.

As is your right!

I find my blood pressure better from not seeing the posts likely to wind me up, though, than if I saw them and had to bite my (online) tongue.

To each their own!!

4 hours ago, tobyjugg2 said:

and How do you excuse the UK having the highest death rate in Europe, despite having more warning and thereby more time to prepare and more detail on what happened elsewhere?

I honestly believe that extra warning and therefore extra data meant (and means) the government had decided it was worth the risk.  On paper I can understand their reasoning, doesn't mean I condone it so please don't shoot the messenger.  This virus is not indiscriminate in that the worst affected, those most likely to have a fatal outcome are well known to be certain identifiable groups and they just happen to be those who (in the main) contribute least and cost most. 

1 hour ago, hightail said:

I honestly believe that extra warning and therefore extra data meant (and means) the government had decided it was worth the risk.  On paper I can understand their reasoning, doesn't mean I condone it so please don't shoot the messenger.  This virus is not indiscriminate in that the worst affected, those most likely to have a fatal outcome are well known to be certain identifiable groups and they just happen to be those who (in the main) contribute least and cost most. 

I agree.

I also think that Johnson and Gove et al think that old and already ill expensive 'statistics' dying is a 'price worth paying' and is still the real 'herd immunity' death of the weak/poor policy that they dare not declare.

The issue is the vast sums and lockdown spent in contradiction of that?

It seems inescapable that many (not all) of those 'in charge' are monsters, who only fear that if they display their monstrosity too openly, then even Tories will turn on them in droves.

The only other answer would seem to be a highly unlikely utterly monumental level of rampant incompetence, although Johnson does have significant form in that regard.

But given the failure to screen and test, and lack of plans which seem bloody obvious like testing nurses before they return to the communities, testing shop assistants

and no plans to test the people flagged in the phone app data grab ...

.. Monsters does seem to be the front runner.

• Like 1

The Tory Legacy

Monsters - well yes in that it seems heartless to write off the old and infirm (forgive the terminology but I can’t see how else to put it).  In terms of the future and rebuilding an economy it may make some sense if you’re sat in a committee meeting thinking huge numbers rather than real people.  I’d like to think the response would have been different if this were something that disproportionately affected children which mercifully it doesn’t.

• Like 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks