Welcome News for New Universal Credit Claimants?

Skinnered
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Waiting time before first payment of UC is made down to 5 weeks, that's if no other delaying tactics are used.

The 7 day wait after claiming before payment can be applicable in the first place to be abolished. The payment to be applicable from day 1 of claim.

A full month's payment to be given if needed in cases of hardship within a week of making the claim to tide the claimant over that first month and a full 12 months to be allowed for repayment of this advance.

Housing benefit continues to be paid for the first two weeks of transition periods between other benefits an UC.

It does not address the many issues related to UC but it will ease and relieve the initial hardship it causes as it is currently applied.

Work & Pensions Secretary to spell out the details of this announcement in Parliament tomorrow (Thursday), including the dates on which those changes come into force.

I agree with you that 5 weeks is a long time to wait when one has no income and no savings to fall back on. The costs of living and having to pay the bills are not put on hold.

The arguments that are put, rightly or wrongly, to support the case for a 5 week wait are;

1. that UC payments cover a month in arrears and the time is necessary for collecting and calculating any and all income details or changes in circumstances in that month that may have a bearing on the benefit entitlement for that month. Since this is how UC works and for as long as it continues it is difficult to see how this delay can be circumvented.

2. that new claimants would have the wages and/or severance pay from their recent employment to tide them over.

Irrespective of those arguments new claimants also need to be aware that an advance of up to a month’s benefit can be paid within a week of making the claim. This help has not been available in the past and information on such help as there was in place was not generally given or explained to claimants. The other improvement to this concession is that the claimant now has a full 12 months to pay back that advance, which is still classed as a ‘loan’.

Another aspect of UC that does not appear to be widely brought to the attention of claimants is that the benefit can be paid fortnightly in cases where the circumstances of the claimant make it feasible.

Much of the hardship and anxiety suffered by claimants can be attributed directly to the fact that they are kept in ignorance, in my opinion deliberately, of their full entitlements. This is something that needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency, I can see no excuse for it.

I await with keen anticipation the statement of the Secretary of State just after mid-day today to see if any further light can be shed on the points raised in this post. Doubtless important issues for further discussion will be raised.

I remember someone (and I won't be surprised if she's alone in this) saying one problem for her being paid monthly, is that due to her mental health issues, she'll just go out and spend it and have nothing for the month. That's something that worries me too. At least with being pad fortnightly (plus PIP paid once in between those 2 weeks) it's much easier.

Many people working are paid weekly. When I was working, I was and I know many who are paid weekly too.