Pension Income draw down effect on income related benefits.

abc123def
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If someone has an income draw down pension and decides to draw down a large amount to buy a new car, say £15,000 as an example. The day it arrives in their account they pay the garage having pre-ordered the car; how does that 15,000 they had in their account for less than a day affect their income related benefits?

Thank you to anyone who can advise. Thank you.

they usually look to 3 months statements I believe so in out should not be a problem, but say a large amount sat there then suddenly moved out as you apply for a benefit would start alarm bells + I may be wrong, but after applying for council tax benefit and others all asked for was last bank statement then another months> sure others will comment also

income pension drawdown use to be tax free not sure if it is now?>

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Thanks for that honeybee, that's made me realise I was entirely muddled. I'd thought you could draw down 25% of your whole pension pot tax free, but that clearly demonstrates that 25% of any tax year's withdrawals are tax free, the rest is taxed at your normal rate. So withdrawing 15,000 would be silly. That would be why the IFA recommended getting an interest free deal on a new car. So I could drawn down 5,000 and pay that as a deposit then a month later draw down 4,000 or whatever to pay the year's monthly installments. That would mean at any one time the amount I held would be beneath the savings limit for income related benefits.

So my new question then is, do income related benefits and PIP count as taxable income? If not, then I could draw down up to a single persons tax free annual income of 11,000 without paying any tax? As income related ESA and PIP are my whole income.

Thanks again.

Thye pension pot is not capital so that doesnt get taken into consideration and the purchase of a car would not be seen as deliberately depleting ones capital unless you bought something like a Ferrari that cost more than a house would. they will certainly get asked about it though so keep invoice/receipt handy to show this was a predetermined purchase.