Advice needed, car hit by a vehicle being pursued by the police

Bav3333
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

as the title says, I need some advice.

Last night I was playing taxi service to my Mum, a small price to pay for the 17 years she did it for me.

On my way I came to a mini roundabout slowing down as, the left turning is blind and I could see headlights.

The car then jumped into the wrong lane cut the mini roundabout and caught my car,

scraping the front bumper with the side of his car.

I was about 2 feet away from the give way lines on the roundabout.

It was then the pursuing police car came shooting past, pursuing the other car.

After stopping and checking on the people in the car behind me,

as they were a bit shocked but not hurt or anything, having a cigarette.

I called the police, they told me the vehicle was uninsured and based on what they said I don't think they caught the driver either.

my question is, what do i do next?

I know if I claim on my insurance,

I'm going to end up paying increased premiums due to some little (won't say the next word) who was breaking the law.

Is there anything or anyone else,

do the police hold any liability due to them pursuing at speed in a 30 mph speed limit?

as the title says, I need some advice.

Last night I was playing taxi service to my Mum, a small price to pay for the 17 years she did it for me.

On my way I came to a mini roundabout slowing down as, the left turning is blind and I could see headlights.

The car then jumped into the wrong lane cut the mini roundabout and caught my car,

scraping the front bumper with the side of his car.

I was about 2 feet away from the give way lines on the roundabout.

It was then the pursuing police car came shooting past, pursuing the other car.

After stopping and checking on the people in the car behind me,

as they were a bit shocked but not hurt or anything, having a cigarette.

I called the police, they told me the vehicle was uninsured and based on what they said I don't think they caught the driver either.

I know if I claim on my insurance,

I'm going to end up paying increased premiums due to some little (won't say the next word) who was breaking the law.

Is there anything or anyone else,

do the police hold any liability due to them pursuing at speed in a 30 mph speed limit?

Difficult to prove the Police have any liability and neither you or any Insurers/legal people are going to pursue over damage to a bumper. Different matter had people been injured or worse. Even then there is the MIB who can deal with uninsured accident claims where it meets their criteria. The MIB is the body set up and funded by Insurers to handle claims for people who suffer a loss caused by uninsured drivers. Check their website for more information.

Check your policy to see whether there is any protection offered in regard to uninsured drivers causing accident damage. Some Insurers don't reduce no claims discount if you were hit by an uninsured driver.

If you decide to claim off your own policy as that is the only realistic option here, then remember that you have an excess amount on the policy and any claim is going to see an increase in premium for a few years. If you can get the bumber repaired for an amount that makes an Insurance claim pointless, then that is what you might decide to do.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Happened to me some years ago in Derby, a car being pursued by the Police, rammed my car out of the way to get down a junction I was blocking.

Although he wasn't insured, it was his own vehicle, and he was picked up three days later to appear in court.

Anyhow, I contacted my insurance who repaired the vehicle, I paid the excess, and then reclaimed that back from the MIB.

NCB was reinstated after a lot of arguing with my Ins coy, although, they said it's a ''no claims bonus, not a no blame bonus'', I successfully argued that there were mitigating circumstances, and that there was nothing I could have done to avoid being rammed, nor could I have foreseen the police pursuit, and gave them all the police ref numbers, and court dates etc, it took a good 24 months to get everything reinstated and funds back in my pocket, less for £50 I think??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Even if you decide not to make a claim via your insurers, you do need to inform them of the incident. Failure to do so could cause problems on renewal and they find out about it.

One more bit of advice: Do not use phrases like "playing taxi service" with insurers or police. They may take you literally.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Sadly, even if you do make a "no fault" claim on your insurance, and they accept it wasn't your fault, it is still an accident, and it will still put your premiums up! I don't get the reasoning, but it makes you more at risk of needing to claim in future.

Insurance companies have a licence to print money.