style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have moved into my property 3 years ago and really should have moved to another supplier before now as I have had nothing but trouble.

To cut a long story shirt, when I moved in I called up to notify them of my details and they wanted me to setup a direct debit of £150 / month.

The previous owner had left copes of their old bills with references, they had only paid just over £300 for 3 months (and that was for winter months). So I asked them to continue billing on account which seems to be something that they either dont like or cant cope with. I have hardly ever received a bill, only red letters, I dont know why but I only have 2 bills from the last 3 years!

At the start of this year I complained and the supervisor helped me setup online billing.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, I got a knock at the door from a 'bill collector'. Again no bill, no red letter, just a rude man telling me I had missed the bill due to be paid in june. It seems that they have gotten my email wrong, but that is my fault.

I asked them to look into my bills as I believe that I have been incorrectly charged previously and I was told that I needed to submit meeter readings before they could help me.

They have now sent me a bill asking for me to pay for usage up to last week and added on even more charges. They say that they will break into my home if i dont pay by Friday.

Im not sure what to do, I have a feeling that I am being taken for a ride but not sure where to start?

I am happy to pay my bill but not happy to be paying charges, especially after I had taken steps to go online and avoid charges.

I think your first step here is to send a letter via recorded delivery and e-mail to the CEO, headed as an official complaint, stating what you've told us.

NPower have had a disastrous time billing customers since moving over to a new billing system.

State in your complaint that you have not received their bills, nor any reminders, therefore the action to send a collections agent to your property is heavy handed and completely due to the mismanagement of the account on their part, therefore the fees associated with this are unfair and unnecessary, a matter that you will consider taking to the Ombudsman.

Ask them why they have not billed you, and when they have produced bills why they have not been at regular intervals.

On a side note, when did they last bill you? If it is more than 12 months ago then they cannot charge you for more than 12 months consumption. Also check the meter reads are correct

Thanks nottslad. I think a letter is the way to go. Im just worried that they will force entry. They are telling me I have been billed, but I am organised with my post.

They are claiming that they billed me at the start of June and I should have received an email. Now this bill has vanished from my online system and replaced with another bill which includes usage for the extra 7 weeks that should be due in September.

So confusing and frustrating to have someone knocking your door and then have to pay for the privilege.

Hi Mark

I can understand it would be frustrating, given what has happened. I think you need to move quickly with a complaint here and get them looking in to this ASAP.

I'd also advise them of any vulnerabilities in your household, such as children or people with illnesses as they need to take this in to consideration. Before being able to force entry to your home they would need to go to court and obtain a Warrant of Entry to do so. They must inform you of the intention to do this and the date which the hearing would be on.

It sounds to me as if they set up a paperless billing system for you when you complained before. You say you've not had an email - have you checked your junk folder? Nevertheless, I would expect that some form of collections contact would be made before an agent visiting - page 14 of their standards of service document (https://www.npower.com/idc/groups/wcms_content/@wcms/@busi/documents/digitalassets/wcms_000971.pdf) says:

If you do not respond to your first bill, we

will send a reminder about 15 days later.

You should contact us as soon as possible to

agree a way to pay your bill.

If you do not contact us we will send you a

final notice 25 days after the original bill.

If you do not contact us you may have t

so I think you need to reference this in your complaint - that they haven't stuck to their own policy, therefore the charges are unfair

• Confused 1

If any of their silly agents visit, tell them to jog on. They have no legal rights and infact, its probably a silly DCA pretending to be someone in authority. Just laugh at them if they call again and slam the door in their face.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Whilst they have no legal rights at this stage, a pre-disconnection visit indicates an intention to gain a warrant of entry to disconnect the supply or fit a prepayment meter. It'd be foolish to ignore this kind of action as clearly something has gone wrong