HMRC debts and Pension Pot

Hurley1961
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

Long story short.

I have outstanding debts with HMRC going back to 2005, mostly due to not filing my SA returns.

Most of it is fines and assumptions of my earnings, even though I probably haven't earned

more than £5-8000 a year since the first year.

We've lived hand to mouth since then, and hidden from our responsibilities, and the debt is now over £9000.

I accept that due to me burying my head in the sand, it is entirely my own fault.

My question is this.

I am about to take one of my private pensions as a lump sum (around £40k)

and I need to know whether HMRC will help themselves to everything they say I owe, before I'm paid out.

I realise that I will be taxed at the emergency rate, and that they may well keep the overpayment to clear my debt,

but that wouldn't cover it all.

Can they take any more to cover the balance owed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes, I'm taking the whole pot. So that would be 25% tax free, and should be basic rate for the remainder, but without a P45, I'll have to pay emergency tax,.

I did pluck up the nerve to call them this afternoon, and they confirmed that they would probably keep the overpayment to pay off what I owe, although as it stands, that would still leave me owing about £3000. That is about the amount that I will be disputing, so hopefully I can get that cancelled out.

• 11 months later...

Whilst posting a new thread, I realised that I had left this one hanging a little, and that always bugs me. So, to tie up the loose end, I did in fact receive a full refund of my overpayment, about 2 weeks after I sent in the claim form. Seems that HMRC has too many hands that are unaware of each other.:wink:

Whilst posting a new thread, I realised that I had left this one hanging a little, and that always bugs me. So, to tie up the loose end, I did in fact receive a full refund of my overpayment, about 2 weeks after I sent in the claim form. Seems that HMRC has too many hands that are unaware of each other.:wink:

Thanks for letting us know. It's actually a matter of the way the system operates - a Self Assessment underpayment can be included in your Tax Code under some circumstances, but pension drawdowns are typically taxed on a "Month 1" basis by the provider and your code doesn't really come into it. So even if the person who processed your refund was aware of your SA debt, there wouldn't have been anything they could do about it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.