Deposit not returned - utility bills

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

I moved out of privately rented accomodation in July 2005 and since then have been trying to recover my deposit from the landlord.

When I moved out he requested that I sent him final bills for all utilities, due to one thing and another (my disorganization being one!) I didn't get round to this.

I have contacted him on numerous occasions by telephone only to be told that he didn;t have the final bills therefore I wont be getting my deposit back.

All the bills are paid and I have tried to get the final bills from the utility companies but they aren't interested in a closed account with no monies owing.

As far as I can see the landlord is not responsible for utilities as long as he can provide proof that his property had a tenant in for the period involved.

I have recently sent him a mildly worded letter giving him 14 days to return the deposit. If I still dont get it back wahts next? LBA? am I right about the utility bills?

Help please!!

Thanks and regards

Scott

Utility bills have no bearing upon the deposit, and as such he has zero legal right to withhold the deposit on this basis.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thankyou Mr Shed, I reckon a more strongly worded letter is in order. I'll let you know how I get on.

Do you have any idea as to how I could verify that the utilities have no bearing on my deposit? Citizens advice??

Thanks

Scott

It is just basically unwritten law, as established by case law. Were the bills in your own name, or the landlords?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!