style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3531956/2bn-fiasco-huge-recycling-plant-dumped-Hundreds-workers-facing-sack-PFI-facility-shut-leaving-thousands-tons-waste-destined-landfill.html

It occured to me after reading the article linked above, that we have sleep walked into a environmental nightmare, where efforts to reduce effects on the planet have been at huge cost, but not done in an intelligent way, so they are sustainable. We have created industries producing wheelie bins, recycling boxes/bags, recycling lorries, new council services etc.

It would be interesting if someone produced a cost/benefit analysis of dealing with household waste, to see whether the efforts of householders and councils is really worthwhile.

Surely it would be better to look at the manufacturing processes of household goods and to require materials to be used which don't represent any hazard if burned or they can easily be melted to be reused. It seems to me that an intelligent system needs to be worked out from the point items are manufactured right the way through to the end when they are either disposed of or reused.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Which is why you put anything that should not be put in the bin, into the neighbours bin you don't like.

The only people who get fined are those stupid enough to put their name and address with the items.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

According to a channel 4 yesterday the recycling companies are making £billion per year selling the processed rubbish back to China.

I can't think of any other business that gets it stock for free.

According to a channel 4 yesterday the recycling companies are making £billion per year selling the processed rubbish back to China.

There was a programme looking at waste and waste from the UK was finding its way all over the world. The companies getting paid to recycle in a certain way, were not even bothering. Computers and Laptops were being sent to African countries, where they were taking them apart. Some still had their hard drives with confidential information on them.

As you say, if they are getting waste for free, they will find the most profitable disposal method.

Charity shops also get the bulk of their stock for free, and also benefit from preferential treatment for taxes & rent.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Yep, wasn't thinking about that type of business. You can bet the council recycling also get special or no taxes or business rates.

Local councils also sell on any bikes etc that they think have a value. There was a media article that showed that half of the electrical items taken to refuse sites, were still in working order. Obviously home owners had upgraded and did not think their items had value or it was not worth the hassle trying to sell them. I advertised a bag of golf glubs for sale for weeks and ended up donating to charity, as nobody wanted good quality old second hand clubs.