What is wrong with people..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

An aspirational narcissistic dog eat dog world populated by a world of technologically modified humans.

Note to self check thread 2045.

Cant wait

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

If you want an interesting take on how technology becomes part of what we do have a read of 'Blind Faith' by Ben Elton...

It's remarkably accurate.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

I must admit, i prefer the era prior to the year 2000 in some ways. I think people were more civilised in some ways and more connected. Having instant communications via mobile devices and internet is not the same as genuine face/face. Many businesses now do more online, than via telephone or face/face. Doctors are now doing some consultations over the telephone by asking questions. There are plans for Doctors to do more consultations via webcams.

One of my uncles was a consultant working for a large Insurers to outsource work to India back in the 1990's. There was then a period of many Insurers outsourcing work to India, followed by some of the work coming back to the UK. From what i hear, some of the Banks and Insurers have quitely offshored work back to India. When there have been IT problems, some of these have to be resolved in India.

In 10 years or so, UK Banks and many major UK companies will be foreign owned, controlled by boards of directors based outside of the UK. The Tories do not believe in government stopping foreign ownership and sees the UK as a totally open market. Some might worry about the EU, but perhaps they need to look closer to home. The EU tries to protect the rights of citizens, as workers or consumers, which is why i personally would vote to stay in the EU.

With respect to technology this should enhance quality of life and not take over. Unfortunately, most people use it in the wrong way and they need to take a step back to look at how it is affecting them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'm too young to remember the days before we had mobile phones. But it is getting worse. I've lost count of the amount of people I've seen in the street who stop dead to check their phone, or they're walking along not loking where they're going because they're too busy on their phone. I then get a dirty look because they almost walk into me. You need to look where you're going too.

Another concern for me, is that some people expect me to be ontactable 24/7. I've been whinged at for taking 3 hours to reply to a text before. I'm sorry; but I'm not glued to my phone. I went abroad in June. I took my phone but it was switched off. It was bliss! Bit odd having no internet for 5 days though.

I mean, most people seen to sneer; be little others and are just right indifferent. Mobile phones are everywhere and people text while walking across the road. What does the future hold ?

Lots of injured people blaming car drivers.

I'm too young to remember the days before we had mobile phones. But it is getting worse. I've lost count of the amount of people I've seen in the street who stop dead to check their phone, or they're walking along not loking where they're going because they're too busy on their phone. I then get a dirty look because they almost walk into me. You need to look where you're going too.

Another concern for me, is that some people expect me to be ontactable 24/7. I've been whinged at for taking 3 hours to reply to a text before. I'm sorry; but I'm not glued to my phone. I went abroad in June. I took my phone but it was switched off. It was bliss! Bit odd having no internet for 5 days though.

I have known managers told by companies to take work mobile phones with them on holidays should they need to be contacted. One company even expected staff dealing with VIP clients to be contactable 24/7, even on holiday. One chap i know was expected to carry the Blackberry phone he had with him 365 days a year. He was on holiday in Australia at one time when one client phoned up in the middle of the night expecting some action. So he had to get up to organise what was needed and spent part of the next day completing it. His girlfriend at the time was not happy, as he was not on such a massive salary to justify having holidays interupted.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It can't be part of their contract, so he should have told them to get stuffed. If he is that indispensable, what happens when he dies, is the company going to close down.

My son is area manger for large chemical company, and he also is to ensure hie is always in touch, they even supply him with the latest phones . He has just bought a holiday home on the welsh coast, no signal there, I am sure that is the reason he bought it.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It can't be part of their contract, so he should have told them to get stuffed. If he is that indispensable, what happens when he dies, is the company going to close down.

When he took the role, it was explained to him, so was a requirement of the job.

But other people i know were asked to do this refused and the company instead just got a couple of senior managers to act as 24/7 contacts.

I think phones are intrinsically rude anyway. Doesn't matter what you are doing or who you are talking to, they say answer me now.

I've been told off for ignoring stuff too. I'm sorry; but I'm not dropping everything just to talk to you. It wasn't important. I do remember one time I received a phone call. Because I was cooking bacon, I had to ignore the call. I then finished cooking and called back to which I was told "can you wait please? I'm brushing my teeth!" I do remember calling a friend and it kept ringing. I was just about to put the phone down (assuming he was busy) when he answered, to be told "I'm out on my bike. I'll sort it out when I get home".

I seriously wonder how some people coped before phones existed?

Thing is you dare not ignore them

I had been on dialysis awaiting a donor organ for transplant for fifteen years. One sunday morning at 7am the phone rang. i thought it would be some sales call , but something made me go down stairs to check it out, it was the hospital, I had an hour to get own there.

There's a lot wrong with people with lots of people a lot of the time:madgrin:

Atrocious driving, many don't bother to indicate, not giving way to the right on a round-a bout, paying too much attention to phone calls etc, don't know the width of their cars.

Going back to your first post CD, it seems acceptable nowadays it's ok to be downright rude to people, seen as being assertive. I blame the X Factor and other similar programmes.

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aOmRLvv_700b.jpg

Sorry, I meant to add: I'll get off your lawn now :-)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I used to know someone who would think nothing of using his phone whilst driving. What an idiot. But this is the same person who would speed. I used to dread getting in his car because of how dangerous his driving could get at times. He would actually sit there with one hand on the steering wheel and another on his phone instead of ignoring his phone or finding a safe place to pull over and check his phone.

I used to know someone who would think nothing of using his phone whilst driving. What an idiot. But this is the same person who would speed. I used to dread getting in his car because of how dangerous his driving could get at times. He would actually sit there with one hand on the steering wheel and another on his phone instead of ignoring his phone or finding a safe place to pull over and check his phone.

I know someone like that they ran into the back of another car while texting or looking at the phone

As the car in front stopped for the car in front of them to turn right

causing injury to a third party and their vehicle now bean tins

Did they learn their lesson? Nope still doing the same

Bring on the day of every vehicle fitted with recording technology!

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

I'm away a lot the end of October to the end of November and won't have my phone on. If anyone calls me it will cost them a fortune so woe betide any cold caller - I will keep them talking a long time! I won't have much reliable internet access either so will only check emails every two or three days.

Its not only mobile phones and 24/7 contact that is making people self-centred. It is all the media stories about the 'wannabes' trying to copy a 'celebrity' lifestyle and people eager for their 5 minutes of fame.