• Tweets

• What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Harlands/CRS/ hertsmere leisure problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I signed up for a 12 month contract in December with a £15 pay nothing else till February, I moved out of the area in January and told the gym (who said it was fine) I sent them a confirmation email later reiterating my cancellation and they replied saying just let harlands know and it will be sorted. I didn't hear anything from harlands for a while so i assumed cancellation had gone through, I later checked my spam box (a once a month phenomenon) and found an email requesting evidence, which I sent them straight away (although admittedly 20 days after they sent the email). They rejected my evidence because my full name wasn't on all 3 pages (only 2 of the 3) and asked me send them something else, because I was renting and not lead tenant I had to request a letter from the council which took 3 weeks to arrive. I sent it over and they said I owed them £100.

Considering I cancelled 14 days before my first direct debit was due, I don't think I owe them anything.

They've been harassing my parents (at their address) and me, despite telling them I've sought advice from CAB.

They've now referred me to CRS who have been harassing me every other day and want me to pay over £500.

Can someone please help? The anxiety their harassment is causing me and my family is just not acceptable. Every letter I've sent them (including numerous copies of those posted by Slick in other threads) have come back with saying 'no, pay us'. I'm at the end of my tether!

Thanks in advance

Satin

Edited by slick132

Hi Satin and welcome to CAG

Please see my PM sent to you.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Satin,

Stop stressing about this - Harlands have no power or authority and we can help you put them in their place!!

Harlands are simply trying it on and you should report their actions to Trading Standards and to The CMA.

If you gave the gym notice to cancel, that is ALL you needed to do. You did not need to contact Harlands at all and, even if they wanted further evidence, they cannot delay cancelling the gym agreement.

Letter to Harlands :-

Dear sir or madam,

I insist you deal with this matter in writing only. I will not deal with this matter by telephone and Harlands/CRS must stop calling me and/or my parents.

All calls have been logged and a complaint for harassment will be made if necessary.

I cancelled my gym agreement by contacting the gym in person at the gym, followed by confirmation in writing.

I now know that I had no obligation to contact Harlands about the cancellation and you had no right to deny or delay the cancellation.

CRS are now demanding over £500 which is utterly ridiculous. If I receive any further demands from Harlands/CRS, formal complaints will be made to Trading Standards and The CMA.

Yours faithfully,

Get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO when you send this and let us know how they reply.

Also, if you get any other demands before Harlands respond, let us know. They are really taking the pee with this case.

Edited by slick132

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Slick,

CRS have just sent me this:

"Your email of 3rd July 2015 has been forwarded to ourselves as Credit Resolution Services has been employed by Hertsmere Leisure in the capacity of a debt recovery agency to resolve this matter.

We have investigated your disputes and in doing so have contacted Hertsmere Leisure who have advised us that:

"Ms ... advices "I informed the centre of my relocation over 10 miles away, giving more than 14 days notice, as required by contract T&C's." However contract T&C's state: Members who pay by direct debit, must notify head office , in writing, 14 days before the date of their next direct debit payments. Letters should be addressed to: Harlands Group, C/O Hertsmere Leisure, Unit 8, Borderlake House, Lowbell Lane, London Colney, Herts, AL2 1HG. Emails should be sent to

The earliest instance either Hertsmere or Harlands has record of you making contact regarding your relocation and desire to cancel was on 22nd January 2015, which was less than 14 days prior to your February 2015 instalment becoming due. Your February 2015 instalment would therefore be due even if cancellation had been granted at that stage.

We have also reviewed previous correspondence in conducting our investigation and can confirm that we do not agree with Harlands position regarding the evidence you supplied on 25th February 2015. Regardless of to whom the letter is addressed, you are clearly referred to as a tenant of the property on several occasions and the contract for the tenancy bares your signature. We can see no valid reason why this evidence should not have been accepted and as such are happy to grant a cancellation posthumously from 25th February 2015.

As such we have removed £550.74 from your balance, consisting of £407.00 membership fees (11x £37.00) £107.74 collection fees (applied at whichever is greater of £66.50 or 36% of the overall debt) as these were yet to become due at the time your evidence was received. We have also removed a £36.00 trace fee as you had previously supplied your new address to Harlands and it was their error in not updating these details when they passed the file to us.

It remains our position; however, that you are liable for your February 2015 instalment of £37.00 as this became due less than 14 days after your initial request to cancel and was already due when your evidence was supplied. For this second reason it also remains our position that you are liable for the first of two £20.00 administration charges that have been applied.

We are therefore prepared to accept the sum of £57.00 to settle this balance if paid in full within 30 days of this correspondence.

You may have noticed a difference of £86.50 between the amount previously quoted and the sum we have advised we are willing to accept, even after the £550.74 reduction. This is because you have incurred a second £20.00 administration fee and our minimum collection fees of £66.50 for failing to make payments due under your agreement. This remains the case regardless of the cancellation of your membership from 25th February. We have agreed to accept the sum of £57.00 to settle on the basis that it is reasonable to assume that had your evidence been accepted at the time it was supplied the matter may have been resolved prior to any further charges being applied. If, however, we are unable to resolve this matter with a payment of £57.00 within the next 30 days of confirming acceptance of your evidence and confirming your February instalment remains due, then we shall see no reason why the further charges of £86.50 would not remain due also and shall therefore commence recovery action against you for the full balance of £143.50.

Payment can be made by Credit/Debit card by calling us on 01444 449165. Alternatively, cheque/postal orders should be made payable to Credit Resolution Services and sent to CRS, 2nd Floor, Rockwood House, 9-17 Perrymount Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 3TW.

A payment plan can also be set up if you are unable to settle in full, although we do charge a little extra for this.

If you are experiencing financial difficulty, there are organisations who offer free debt advice and assistance such as Step Change (0800 1381111), National Debtline (0808 8084000) and your local Citizen Advice Bureau.

Please ensure a payment or response is received within the next 30 days, so we can avoid further action being taken.

Yours sincerely,"

I maintain that I emailed the gym on the 7th of January (I've sent them a copy of that email)

What should I do?

Hi Satinade,

........and as such are happy to grant a cancellation posthumously from 25th February ........
OMG !! Has someone died ?? :rofl: :rofl:

I think they mean "retrospectively" !

Also, they say Harlands made an error about the change of address - Harlands and CRS are the same business !! :-D But we're used to Harlands/CRS coming back with their lengthy replies, in the hope they can convince people that they actually owe what's being demanded.

You say, "I've sent them a copy of that email". Did you send this to the gym or Harlands ?

Hi Satinade,

OMG !! Has someone died ?? :rofl: :rofl:

I think they mean "retrospectively" !

Also, they say Harlands made an error about the change of address - Harlands and CRS are the same business !! :-D But we're used to Harlands/CRS coming back with their lengthy replies, in the hope they can convince people that they actually owe what's being demanded.

You say, "I've sent them a copy of that email". Did you send this to the gym or Harlands ?

I thought that was the case, so it doesn't really make much sense.

I just replied to the email offering them the attached email. Is there anything else I should send them? I really don't think I owe them anything (hopefully!)

Hi Satinade,

I'm inclined to reject their offer to pay them £57 or any amount. However, you may feel this is worth paying to get rid of Harlands/CRS. Only you can decide this !

If you want to reject their offer, you could reply to Harlands by written letter saying :-

I refer to your letter/email of xxdate.

I am not convinced by your gestures or explanations and remain certain that I owe nothing more in respect of the membership.

I am confused by your references to Harlands and CRS as if they are separate, when they are, in fact, one and the same.

I will not pay you anything more but will refer further demands to the relevant bodies, namely Trading Standards and The CMA.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the latest. These guys are like dogs with a meaty bone!

Unfortunately I'm a medical student that can't even afford next month's rent so I certainly can't afford to be paying off companies like this to get them off my back :-(.

Further to your email of 21st July 2015, we confirm that whilst the evidence you have supplied is sufficient to demonstrate you request cancellation on the grounds of relocation more than 14 days prior to your February instalment becoming due, we are unable to grant any further reduction on your balance because of this. The reason for this is that that the terms of your agreement state at the top of the section entitled "CANCELLATION OF THIS AGREEMENT" that:

"ANY cancellation for the below reasons will not be effected until the appropriate proof is provided and received."

Your evidence was received on 25th February 2015 and as such the cancellation procedure had not been completed until then.

For the above reasons it is our position that all payments which fell due prior to the 25th February 2015 would remain valid.

For the above reasons the balance of £143.50 is correct and due. As a goodwill gesture we shall be willing to extend our previous offer to accept the reduced sum of £57.00 as final settlement of this debt if paid in full within 7 days of this correspondence.

Hi Satin,

I would simply ignore them for now.

It's not reasonable that you cannot cancel until you've sent them evidence, when such evidence may not always be available when you move or are ill, injured, etc.

Harlands are unlikely to be persuaded by reasonable arguments so let them get on with it ...........

Next threats are likely to come from CRS who are just as toothless ! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there Slick,

I've just been sent the below message - what should I do from here? I'm nervous my credit rating is going to be effected but they've now withdrawn the lower amount so I would have to pay the full £500!

Our position remains as previously advised. If you are not willing to set up a payment plan with us, we have no alternative but to proceed with further action against you. We will hold this for a further 7 days. If you advise us again that you do not intend to pay, we will continue our collection procedure, but will not continue to enter into further correspondence as our decision has been made.

With regard to your request that we contact you in writing only, we are happy to do this only as long as it remains reasonable to do so. If at any time it is no longer reasonable for us to correspond with you in writing (for example if you fail to respond to written correspondence), we may still attempt to contact you by other means.

If you believe now, or at any time in the future, that our course of conduct constitutes harassment, we recommend that you take any action you deem necessary. We are, however, aware of Section 40, subsection 1 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and Section 1, subsection 1 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. We are confident that we are not guilty of any offence because one or more of the exemptions within subsection 3 of both the quoted sections of these acts of legislation apply to this circumstance. It is our position that this balance is due, and our correspondence has been appropriate to the matter in tone, content and frequency and as such is reasonable.

Payment can be made by Credit/Debit card by calling us on 01444 449165. Alternatively, cheque/postal orders should be made payable to Credit Resolution Services and sent to CRS, 2nd Floor, Rockwood House, 9-17 Perrymount Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 3TW.

A payment plan can also be set up if you are unable to settle in full, although we do charge a little extra for this.

Satinade...

Do not worry! :) ... Gym debts are not reported on CRA Files unless subject to a CCJ :) , and even then its a struggle to get to that point. Harlands wont do court, they dont own the debt :p

The nerve that they charge extra for a payment plan! Yikes!

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Satinade,

You need to read other threads here. If you had done so, you will see the advice repeated regularly - This will NOT affect your credit files !!

Just ignore their letter for now and keep us posted.

Remember, the £500+ they're demanding is mostly made up of their unlawful and unenforceable admin (penalty) charges.

After CRS, you may hear from Zinc, an external DCA. They don't tend to stick around long when you deal with them confidently.