• Tweets

• The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted.
    • Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

More Sickness Benefit cuts leaks...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to anywhere outside of western Europe and see how those without jobs or with disabilities are treated.

THAT is reality.

Does that make it right, make it moral? Shall we go into the other things those countries do and see if you want that here too? In a civilised society an accident of birth should not determine whether someone can eat on a regular basis or not - and we should be striving for a better, more civilised, more equal society, instead of one whose main concern appears to be greed, only concerned with individuals, no idea of individual privilege. Greed, greed, oodles and oodles of greed.

The people I know with with genuine severe mental health problems that prevent them from working can't work - doesn't change if you take their benefits away, they'd just starve, turn to crime, prostitution etc because they CANNOT hold down a job. Tough love makes no difference and if it works for you then I really think what you called mental health problems weren't that bad at all. 'Pull yourself together' doesn't work in real, genuine mental health issues. Treatment works for some, plus as someone improves, support to get slowly back into work. But regardless, there are how many million people unemployed (non sanctioned on jsa), do you really think an employer would rather hire someone with any disability, let alone a mental health problem if there is an equally (or sometimes less) qualified person available.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Left wingers?? Seems the Kipper canker has infected even this forum

This forum is for helping people, not demonizing them

I agree totally. But why are polemic rants by people like sad one tolerated, but the moment someone posts something that says "hang on a minute, let's look at the reality here", then it's belittled and pigeon-holed as UKIP, etc?

Double standards much?

And before any of you go clutching at your pearl necklaces in self-righteous indignation, be honest - I'm sure you've taken out far more from the system than you've ever paid in in tax! (I know that's certainly true for me).

Anyway, I've no wish to get involved in a he-said-she-said thread, life's too short.

There seems to be some amazing advice offered here. More power to you. All I'm saying is let's not pretend that any of us have a god-given right to money from those around us.

Edited by brighton333

I blame Channel 4/5 for all their benefit programming. I think the difficult area is when it comes to Mental Health issues. If someone's got a broken spine no one would expect them to work as a postman. But if you suffer from anxiety, depression, OCD, etc, then ironically (as someone who has suffered from all three) the WORST thing you can do is just throw money at me in an ultimately condescending way, saying "there, there, never mind, here's some money, just wibble away in your own mental fantasy for as long as you want".

It's not helpful.

Ah good. "Alf Garnett's Guide to Mental Health". He'll be here all week, folks - if you like him, tell your friends!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

But if you suffer from anxiety, depression, OCD, etc, then ironically (as someone who has suffered from all three) the WORST thing you can do is just throw money at me in an ultimately condescending way, saying "there, there, never mind, here's some money, just wibble away in your own mental fantasy for as long as you want".

Genuine question - have you actually suffered from mental health issues? Like I stated, I've got severe OCD. I've had it since I was at least 7. It has decided (and I know what the cause is) to rear it's ugly head again. No, the money doesn't solve anything. But it's the difference between being able to buy proper handwash (ie, the stuff that doesn't dry my hands out) than buying soap. Without proper handwash, I can seriously dry my hands out and cause other skin issues. And yes, I do wait until Sainsburys, Boots, etc. do their £1 offers; but it still costs money. And my water bill isn't exactly low either.

And no, I can't use hand cream on my hands instead because of my sensory issues. It's bad enough having to use Savlon at the moment.

You can't just "get over" mental health issues. I'm not one for questioning someone's health issues, (I get it constantly - the joys of having fluctuating invisible health issues / a spectrum disorder) but if you can just get over mental health issues, I'd question whether you seriously have them.

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they’re yours. – Richard Bach"

x

Anyone else you'd like to quote? Deepak Chopra? Carlos Castaneda? Winnie the Pooh?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Anyone else you'd like to quote? Deepak Chopra? Carlos Castaneda? Winnie the Pooh?

No thanks, I think my quote said it all really.

I'm sensing a lot of misdirected aggression on this thread. I'm not the enemy and I apologise if I pointed out any uncomfortable truths.

You all give wonderful advice and I wish you all well.

I'm out. x

I'm sensing a lot of misdirected aggression on this thread. I'm not the enemy and I apologise if I pointed out any uncomfortable truths.

I'm out. x

Right, you're not the enemy, you're just a passing, kind-hearted martyr. Got it.

This forum is for helping people, not demonizing them

Indeed. CAG is generally non-judgemental and most do their best to offer advice and help.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

What has angered me is that i am disabled and on ESA. The support i received from this forum has been fantastic as i was in the wilderness as to benefit entitlements. I served my country in the Army, then worked for 20 years in public service. My only crime was that i contracted arthritis due to an old injury. I have paid into the system all my life.

Don't you dare class me as a Work Shy Scrounger brighton333

"And before any of you go clutching at your pearllink3.gif necklaces in self-righteous indignation, be honest - I'm sure you've taken out far more from the system than you've ever paid in in tax! (I know that's certainly true for me)."

OK I am going to stop you here right now.

Rants like the above is NOT considered debate and does not add anything to the conversation. In fact I would say it comes very close to TROLLING

If you cannot restrain yourself to civilised debate then this thread will be locked

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Not here and the support I've received on here regarding ESA and DLA has been fantastic; but I have been accused of being a scrounger. The arguments from one person included because her son can work (he has one of the conditions I have - it's a spectrum and I have, according to a friend of mine, some serious issues with communication) and because I went on holiday.

Um, yeah, I did go on holiday. I also had to be talked through everything that happens at the airport. (security, check in, etc) I had to have my friend with all the time whilst I was there for my own safety.

And no, I've not paid into the system. But I think I'm in the minority on here who were born disabled.

Perhaps brighton333 needs to be moderated as a troll - their posts do not make sense - if money was thrown at mental health issues perhaps there would be a better, wider understanding of them in the general public, rather than the Channel 4/5 Benefit style propaganda shows.

Some people do need a lot of long term support - which isn't easy to get now - and some people need short term support - which again is difficult to get. Social services is a mess, with over emphasis on some areas and no emphasis on others - if you don't fit their 'tick box' screening then you get nothing.

Benefits are there to help people, whether long term or short term and this government seems to think that the shorter term is the best method. They are their own architects of anarchy at the end of the day.

Every so often people like Brighton333 come along and sign up as members of the forum and then proceed to preach at and lecture other members along the lines this character took on this occasion.

Rather than immediately silence them the administrators do right, particularly in this case, to give genuine members the opportunity of defending themselves and put people like that person in their place. In this instance I reckon the members did a good job of showing this character up for what it is, and that without resorting to the bile preferred by the character itself.

Brighton333 is more obnoxious and vile than most though, as the few lines I address to him shows. He came seeking help, and within 10 minutes of getting it proceeds to stab the membership in the back. One wonders why he didn't go to his influential, moralistic, self sufficient friends for help when he needed it.

Brighton333

Your first post on this forum was a request for help. You got a call from EON claiming that they were owed £250 by you. Upon checking your account you found that it looks like they were right.

This worried you enough to hesitate about giving EON a piece of your mind, which signifies that you are unable to provide evidence of payment. If you could prove that you paid, you should have no cause to worry and the issue could easily be resolved.

Rather than resolve the issue as suggested above you decided to seek advice from this forum. This would suggest that the option of providing evidence of payment, as most customers would, was not available to you. You saw fit not to explain why that was.

Anyway you were given advice, no questions asked, you were not stigmatised, blamed, categorised or abused in any way. It would appear that you can get away with non-payment, if indeed EON are correct, on a technicality.

You were relieved by that advice and accepted it with gratitude. This in itself would suggest that for you straightforward truth and honestly can be superseded by technicalities when it suits you.

I would suggest to you that before presuming to teach morals to others, you acquire some first yourself.

An example i will give:

When i was ill health retired i just did not have a clue on the Benefits system. Me being on crutches i had my first interview with the Job Centre. They did not inform me i was unsuitable for JSA and that i should be on ESA. i was then within three weeks to attend one of these mandatory work experiences. The excuse she used was i needed work experience. That was a laugh considering i had previously been working for thirty years before i became disabled.

This mandatory work experience consisted of me spending a month with a thatcher, that is correct a thatcher with me on crutches.

Because of this i was sanctioned for not following a JSA Direction and was sanctioned for a total of 4 weeks. I took them to the Tribunal service where i received those four weeks back plus £200 compensation. But it took 7 months for me to get justice

Disabled people are systematically being discriminated against and this sorry excuse of a Government is getting away with it with impunity.

I'm getting the paperwork all together for my appeal against their 0 points PIP assessment. It was obvious to the assessor in the interview that I had a very obvious right sided weakness, this fluctuates from being mild to severe and I have no control over it.

The whole PIP assessment is designed to stop you claiming long term sickness and is another layer of mismanagement put in place by the government to help bolster their own employment figures.

The government need 'real' people in their ranks rather than politically minded people trained since their schooldays to think along a particular idealogical pathway.

I'm getting the paperwork all together for my appeal against their 0 points PIP assessment. It was obvious to the assessor in the interview that I had a very obvious right sided weakness, this fluctuates from being mild to severe and I have no control over it.

The whole PIP assessment is designed to stop you claiming long term sickness and is another layer of mismanagement put in place by the government to help bolster their own employment figures.

The government need 'real' people in their ranks rather than politically minded people trained since their schooldays to think along a particular idealogical pathway.

Sadly the sickness/disability benefits system appears designed to deny people benefit, not to assess entitlement and need. This means that people without a very obvious disability (I'm talking wheelchair and needing help with everything) need to get experienced help to complete the forms (dla, pip, wca) and study up on how to answer questions for the assessment - because the questions are designed so that a decision maker can make assumptions about capability, and not in your favour. It's appalling - a fair system would want to find out if someone qualifies for benefit, but this system is designed to ensure as few people as possible qualify.

common trick questions:

do you watch tv?

do you have a pet?

do you have any hobbies?

What sort of foods do you typically eat for dinner?

How did you get here today?

Do you do the housework?

What outdoor activities do you enjoy?

Do you do the shopping?

How do you pay the bills?

Do you see friends or family?

Do you use a computer?

Do you read the paper or magazines?

the answers to these and many more can be used to deny people esa, and I expect similar tactics are being used for pip now.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I blame Channel 4/5 for all their benefit programming. I think the difficult area is when it comes to Mental Health issues. If someone's got a broken spine no one would expect them to work as a postman. But if you suffer from anxiety, depression, OCD, etc, then ironically (as someone who has suffered from all three) the WORST thing you can do is just throw money at me in an ultimately condescending way, saying "there, there, never mind, here's some money, just wibble away in your own mental fantasy for as long as you want".

It's not helpful.

The best thing is to show tough love and say "get over yourself, the state will no longer indulge you".

The Welfare state has only been around for about 60 years. Human society has been around for 20,000?

I'm not a Tory or Labour, but I don't like the way all these threads become so politicized as if the "Tory's" are undoing 20,000 years of good work?

The woman who had arthritis on that BBC news report, who still managed to look after children and drive round town quite happily and became indignant when told she might lose money given to her, never earned?

I honestly don't get it? I'm grateful for my HB and JSA at the moment. I don't see it as a right. I don't have kids because I can't afford them, I don't have a car because I can't afford to run it.

The Left-wingers here will say "Oh, you're an idiot, it's divide and conquer" - Erm, no it really isn't.

Go to anywhere outside of western Europe and see how those without jobs or with disabilities are treated.

THAT is reality.

We'd still live in a wonderfully generous country even if all benefits were cut by 50% overnight!

It's not "government money".

It's the people's money paid through tax doing jobs they mostly despise.

And it would seem the people have spoken.

Deal with it.

x

I'm out. x

How nice of you to come on here, and put your point out there, you dont't understand anything that has been said in here do you, what truths have you said?, none from where i'm sitting, we have all paid TAX in our lifes , you make it sound as if we are all in our 20's and not paid any tax FYI i have paid over 20 years in tax, so there for i and everyone els has a right to claim JSA, ESA,HB, CT and so on, yes there is aggression on here now, from your DUMB post, We'd still live in a wonderfully generous country even if all benefits were cut by 50% overnight!

and now you run back under the rock you came from, by saying i'm out!! how very nice of you.