Call centre raided - Six million nuisance calls every day from just ONE firm!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Maybe some more will get raided.

Six million nuisance calls every day from just ONE firm: Company that held 90 million numbers is raided by watchdog

A company on an industrial estate is believed to make up to six million nuisance phone calls a day.

The call centre used sophisticated technology to leave ‘millions upon millions’ of anonymous recorded messages on mobiles and landlines.

More than 90million numbers were reportedly held by the firm – the equivalent of more than one for every person in the UK.

The Information Commissioner’s Office, which carried out a raid on the company, said it appeared to have ‘cornered’ a sizeable proportion of the cold-call market.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992446/Six-million-cold-calls-day-just-ONE-firm-Company-held-90million-numbers-raided-watchdog-using-sophisticated-technology-leave-messages.html#ixzz3UixG9Id7

Anyone who expressed an interest in the service offered – by pressing the number 9 on their phone – was called back by one of 50 call centre workers, it is claimed.

It is believed the firm may have then sold the details of these customers to other companies, some of which appear to have shared directors and staff with the centre. Communications Minister Ed Vaizey said last night that such raids ‘show the kind of menace we are dealing with’.

The ICO’s David Clancy, who carried out a month-long investigation into the call centre, said: ‘Our intelligence has identified this address as being responsible for making millions upon millions of recorded messages.

It is not known how the centre obtained the 90million numbers. If it emerges the firm was passing on the details it held without being authorised, a criminal rather than civil investigation can be launched.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992446/Six-million-cold-calls-day-just-ONE-firm-Company-held-90million-numbers-raided-watchdog-using-sophisticated-technology-leave-messages.html

Regards,John.

Edited by citizenB
added some content

Have moved this to Data Protection forum and added some content to the first post.

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What I don't understand is that I am signed up to TPS and also have an X directory number..

I use a dedicated PAYG mobile for any online shopping or other places I have to provide a telephone number for, never my landline... but these beggars still manage to get through on the landline?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I imagine they prob have some software that ring numbers randomly testing for a responce.

As soon as a responce is detected (Even if that is just the phone ringing or a connection is made) Im guessing it is added to a pool of useable numbers.

Either that or they buy the numbers form the black market

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

There is a telephone installed in a lift located somewhere in a secure building not too far away. The number has never been published, and if you were to ask, no one knows it anyway. The only reason that telephone exists is for emergency purposes in the event someone gets trapped inside.

Despite all of the above, these idiots call offering PPI reclaim, reduced energy bills, and other dubious schemes.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

What I don't understand is that I am signed up to TPS and also have an X directory number..

I use a dedicated PAYG mobile for any online shopping or other places I have to provide a telephone number for, never my landline... but these beggars still manage to get through on the landline?

I used to do telephone market research, and one way we got numbers was to select a number from the phone book for the area the company wanted to survey, and then just dial consecutive numbers so inevitably we picked up some x directory numbers. I'm sure this is much more automated now, but imagine the same kind of method would be used.For info, if it is a genuine market research company this can be verified by checking with the Market Research Society. https://www.mrs.org.uk/contact_us If the caller doesn't willingly provide the number then they probably aren't a genuine market research company and are trying to sell you something, which market researchers never EVER do.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I don't care one iota whether they are a genuine MRC or otherwise, I don't want their bloody call. Why are market research companies exempt? Which government idiot decided this in the first place and why are the present government continuing to exempt the market research scumbags?