• Tweets

• Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the begining of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, howver he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt recieved any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her ,ail until last week. She recievd a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehcile and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she respons by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
    • worthy to not forget Just to let you know this bunch Kensington have been fined £1.225m by the financial regulator for treating borrowers who were in arrears unfairly. Claim those charges back plus the interest and tell them not to add any more to the account. There are a few news stories here you can get the info for a letter to send to them. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8615870.stm  
    • Hi All. I went to visit a family friend in Rochdale on a new housing estate opposite a old row of houses. The location is Royle Road, Postcode OL11 3PE. I was originally parked in parking bays outside the old houses, then moved the car, when I noticed my tyre was flat, so parked on what looked like double yellows to use his air pump to check and inflate the tyres before we left the house.   In the time i went inside to sort the pump and power supply i got a PCN.  The tyre then got changed (has a puncture) and we left. PCN Number:         RE######## Date:             04/05/2024 Time:             20:36 Observation:         20:34 to 20:36 Reported location:     Royle Park Road Reason:        Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours (Code: 01) I believe this PCN is not correct and has grounds to appeal: 1. My friend who moved into the property around 6 months ago, swears that even though it has old double yellows marked, they are not current or council marked.   He said the property development company had said they had marked them for ease of access during development. 2. The road i was parked on was Royle Road.  The PCN was issued for Royle Park Road, which is about 400 yards up the road. 3. There are no sign posts or marking showing parking  restriction hours in the entire area (there maybe on Royle park Road). I have attached a map of the Location where i parked as a red dot. I have 2 questions: a.  Is there a way to check where double yellow lines are marked on some register to check if they are current? b. Can my grounds of appeal simply be, wrong location, wrong offence? Thanks in advance. Map_20240505.pdf
    • you made it very confusing, though i doubt any of it was ever read by the delivery franchise for DPD. your saving grace might well be you didn't select your own address (though if you are all the same postcode..??) and neither mentioned a safe space other than another neighbour. but with the actual delivery address on the parcel, it appears the driver had a choice of 3 addresses, all under the same post code with differing house numbers. so chose the label one but left it on your doorstep. play it carefully and along with the photo and the retailers requirement you should be ok.   dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're quite right alfiemac - the law states the maximum that can be charged. It's perfectly within the bailiff's gift to charge you less. Not that they will.

May I make a suggestion. Have a thorough read through of posts on here so that you can make yourself familiar with legislation otherwise I fear that this thread is going to be 'railroaded' by nonsense that you are posting.

You have said in your above posts that:

'The law states the maximum that can be charged'.....it's perfectly within the bailiff's gift to charge you less'

In fact, you need to read the legislation properly yourself and you will see that the 'law' does not say what you have stated above.

The 'law' is the Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014 (link below). You will see that the 'law' states Table 1 and underneath the heading are the words: Enforcement other than under a High Court Writ. Now look under those words and it states as follows:

Fee Stage.......FIXED fee.

PS: Not more....not less but fixed.

I have to say that jumping between this thread and my own, I am learning some very useful stuff about High Court Bailiffs.

The most striking thing, as the OP has said, is the sheer scale of charges that they are allowed to impose. How on earth does this ever get Government approval?

I had watched the TV programmes about HC bailiffs and I assumed they only dealt with companies and criminal fines, so my anger is as much at Anglian Water for setting these people on a single woman who cannot currently afford their ludicrous bills than the bully boys who actually do the job.

I'm sure the public really don't understand the sort of pressure which can be applied to people who are unable to pay and all of this has certainly been a huge eye opener for me.

I have to say that jumping between this thread and my own, I am learning some very useful stuff about High Court Bailiffs.

The most striking thing, as the OP has said, is the sheer scale of charges that they are allowed to impose. How on earth does this ever get Government approval?

I had watched the TV programmes about HC bailiffs and I assumed they only dealt with companies and criminal fines, so my anger is as much at Anglian Water for setting these people on a single woman who cannot currently afford their ludicrous bills than the bully boys who actually do the job.

You will not have seen a tv program where hc enforcement agents execute criminal fines. They are Magistrates EA. You may have a high court EA that is also a Magistrates EA.

They are not bully boys at all, but in the same way that all sparkies or builders are generally good people, every trade has its bad apples.

How does anglian water know before sending the EA's out that she is a single mum? has she told them? has she supplied proof? or has she ignored them and they have had no choice but to send in the bailiffs as they are not allowed to turn her water off anymore so have to keep supplying even when they are not being paid.

The job of the EA is to get the non payer, usually those that refuse to pay, to pay up. When we come accross an individual in a circumstance where she has no assets and no funds to pay it off, it usually falls to an arrangement to pay and should it be a vulnerable person, we usually work with them to sort the matter out or return the case should the debtor be unable to understand or handle the matter.

I'm sure the public really don't understand the sort of pressure which can be applied to people who are unable to pay and all of this has certainly been a huge eye opener for me.

I for one am glad this is done, as i would end up paying for every freeloader that decides their holiday is more important than their bills or debts. if everyone paid their way(obviously taking inot account vulnerable cases) then this would never be an issue. as it is, almost every case i visit is for an individual that chooses not to pay, rather than is unable to pay. i think the general public would rally for this to happen more and harder if they were assured that by everyone paying thier bills, the bills for the rest of society would drop 10% 20% 30%. Just a 5% saving would have saved me £100 last year on my bills. So because joe bloggs doesnt want to pay their bill, i have to be lumbered with the extra debt and pay it off for them. im sure my children would have prefered that £100 for xmas.

What a load of rubbish, if everyone paid their bills on time you my friend would be out of a job for one, and don't know where you get your statistics from you start at 10% then 20% then 30% are these stats plucked out the sky like the£235 charge.

Grumpy I don't know who you are but your aggressive tone is horrible.

You know nothing about me.

Why on earth are you posting on a debt forum if you think everyone who has not paid their bills is a low life deserving no respect or sympathy.

My last holiday was in 1987. When was your's? I don't have a car. What do you drive?

What a nasty spiteful judgemental person you are.

Grumpy is a bailiff, but he does often give a useful perspective as to where an EA is trying it on. usually The fees are set down in law, and were put in place from 6th April last year. We can all assure you that the situation would or could have been worse prior to April 6th 2014..

I am no fan of bailiffs or Distress (now taking control of goods) as a remedy, and support the late and sadly missed Lord Denning's view that it belongs in the grave with King John and the legendary Sheriff of Nottingham. However it is still here so we must mitigate its effect, and if Grumpy or HCEOs follow the rules as I'm sure they do in their daily work unlike many bailiffs, then we cannot complain they also often give good advice on here also, especially if the EA is being naughty. after all it makes their job harder.

What does not help is where an argument starts over an issue that is more or less set in stone that hijacks a thread to the detriment of the person in need of the advice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

What a load of rubbish, if everyone paid their bills on time you my friend would be out of a job for one, and don't know where you get your statistics from you start at 10% then 20% then 30% are these stats plucked out the sky like the£235 charge.

Yes that one is plucked out of the sky, which is clear to see in the ways its worded.

Thanks brassnecked.

I suppose if you choose to do that job you would have to see all debtors as people who are refusing to pay rather than those who cannot.

And I imagine you have to be incredibly hard. My much older friend tells the story of bailiffs who entered their home and having taken what they thought was valuable simply stamped on the few toys their little girl had as while valueless they did not want her to have them.

I have always remembered that. It simply cannot be possible to be a bailiff and have any empathy or compassion I suppose.

I think if I had to chose between the two I would go for prostitution. Seems more noble somehow! :)

Grumpy I don't know who you are but your aggressive tone is horrible.

You know nothing about me.

Why on earth are you posting on a debt forum if you think everyone who has not paid their bills is a low life deserving no respect or sympathy.

My last holiday was in 1987. When was your's? I don't have a car. What do you drive?

What a nasty spiteful judgemental person you are.

This is the problem, most of the time people think we are being spiteful, horrible nasty people when in fact, we are just giving it to you straight. Im not accusing you of being anything other than an upstanding citizen so please dont mistake my words for a slight towards you.

I go on holiday each year, staying localized so as to save costs as i dont earn alot being a bailiff whatever people make you think.

I dont own a personal vehicle, i couldnt afford to run one, but i do have a works supplied van.

Personaly i dont think i am a nasty spiteful judgmental person. I am a bailiff(EA). im not your friend, im not your social worker, im not a CAB adviser, i do not lie, i do not coerce, i do not commit fraud.... I am just a normal person that has to do a job that most CANT do, not wont do but CANT do. Our job is a nasty job and we come up against some very nasty people, so our methods are to never make friends, never let our guard down and never let you think you own us, or we get hurt, badly.

Im sorry if you feel that my tone is horrible and nasty, its not meant to be. its called bluntness, and in my line of work, it the only way to be.

I became a bailiff after leaving the army and having bailiffs chase me for debts that i had built up. I faced it , i have been there, i have dug my way out.

As Brass has said, i came here to add weight to the argument of why bailiffs do what we do, and sometimes i think that we are not needed, there should be other ways, and yes, i would be out of a job. But then i think of other sides to this job and who would do it if we didnt. The police? you want it criminalized? maybe a different sort of bailiff? its taken 400 years of bailiff reform to get where we are now. Bailiffs are an essential part of modern life. Since the time of money being invented, and even before, enforcers have been needed.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, and again, im sorry if you thought anything i wrote was targeted at you, it was not.

G

Thanks to everyone for their input, a lot of people are saying i don't get it, but i do get it and understand charges and the fact that it is legislation and charges need to be applied and don't mind paying charges, the point is, the amount for one hand delivered letter, Thats what i don't get!!!.

I challenge my local council after they charged me £125 for a covenant letter, which was a standard letter, which i had to have to sell my house so i paid it, they told me the same that it was legislation and the law tells them to charge this amount, when my house was sold i challenged the£125 as being an unreasonable reflection on the costs incurred to the council to produce the letter, and i received a cheque for £75 a couple of weeks later, which meant i paid £50, which i thought was a reasonable amount.

If you think £50 is a reasonable amount for sending you a standard letter in relation to an "official process", what do you think is a reasonable charge for sending someone out to your house to inform you of impending court action who posts that letter personally? Maybe £100? What about if that person has to come back 3 times to catch you in? Maybe £200-£300? What if that person (upon their 3rd call) makes contact with you and spends another 2 hours with you trying to arrange payment or executes the court order and takes control of your goods? Maybe £300-£400? What if they spend 4 hours with you? £500?

Maybe you would've felt better paying the £235 if the EA had visited 3 times and "earned" his money (probably equating to 35-50% of the 235.00 Enforcement fee collected) ?

The £235.00 is suddenly looking good value......unless you paid on his first visit and the visit involved nothing more than posting a letter.

Thank's for that %Osrtrich% yes i think you have hit the nail on the head i did pay on the first visit and that was my whole point of this thread which went a bit mad, if someone had to call to my property maybe 3-5 times to make contact with me as i was at work then yes i would gracefully accept the £235charge, but these Enforcement agency representatives don't even have to make personal contact as long as they leave a letter at your property and they are able to provide evidence of being at the address, which they can by wearing a body camera which records them being at the house. I was going to request the recording to check they knocked on the door but they dont even need to do that!! its a crazy world we live in, at least with online shopping i can get free delivery.

Thank you

Thank's for that %Osrtrich% yes i think you have hit the nail on the head i did pay on the first visit and that was my whole point of this thread which went a bit mad, if someone had to call to my property maybe 3-5 times to make contact with me as i was at work then yes i would gracefully accept the £235charge, but these Enforcement agency representatives don't even have to make personal contact as long as they leave a letter at your property and they are able to provide evidence of being at the address, which they can by wearing a body camera which records them being at the house. I was going to request the recording to check they knocked on the door but they dont even need to do that!! its a crazy world we live in, at least with online shopping i can get free delivery.

Thank you

Instead of trying to explain the rational behind the new fee scale it would be easier to read the official explanation from the Ministry of Justice.

The following is a copy of the Explanatory Memorandum prepared by the Ministry of Justice and laid in Parliament at that same time as the Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014 was introduced. You will need to read paragraphs 7.1 onwards:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1/pdfs/uksiem_20140001_en.pdf

What the MoJ has effectively admitted is that private bailiff companies can not be trusted to apply appropriate fees and charges, so as a measure, rather than prosecuting them, they have thrown more money their way in the hope that they won't be tempted to break the law.

What the MoJ has effectively admitted is that private bailiff companies can not be trusted to apply appropriate fees and charges, so as a measure, rather than prosecuting them, they have thrown more money their way in the hope that they won't be tempted to break the law.

That's one way of reading the document. It's not how I read it.

Coughdrop if you read 7.1 it says that when bailiffs felt they were underpaid for the work done

There is, therefore, an inherent incentive for enforcement agents to engage in, and charge for, unnecessary enforcement activities or to rapidly escalate enforcement action.

and

The current availability of discretionary fee arrangements has also provided incentives for unscrupulous behaviour.

it is not easy to diagree with Outlawla's interpretation. After all there could have been some attempt to curb the unscrupulous behaviour rather than just give in to them and pay them a lot more couldn't there?

You need to read Paragraph 7.1 in full to understand WHY the fee scale has been implemented:

It states as follows:

The various fee structures applicable to enforcement by taking control of goods do not provide adequate remuneration for all aspects of the work carried out by enforcement agents. There is, therefore, an inherent incentive for enforcement agents to engage in, and charge for, unnecessary enforcement activities or to rapidly escalate enforcement action.

The current availability of discretionary fee arrangements has also provided incentives for unscrupulous behaviour. Such arrangements allow the enforcement agent to charge “reasonable costs”, which are not specified in advance and are not clearly defined, making these charges prone to abuse. With little clarity and transparency to these fee structures, it is difficult for debtors to check whether they have been charged the correct fees and to challenge these if they have not.

As a result of these factors, there have long been calls to introduce a transparent fee structure, relevant to all debt types, alongside the introduction of a simplified and transparent enforcement process. This Statutory Instrument will introduce such a fee structure.

As you will see from the above, the previous low fees of £24.50 for 'attending to levy' (where no level was made) together with egislation providing for 'reasonable costs' that were unspecified lead to unscrupulous behaviour. It was well known that bailiffs used to misinterpret the fee scale to suit themselves and the drafting of the legislation at that time made it possible.

New regulations, together with updated fees have been in force for the past 9 months and it is the case that the level of complaints being made to the courts about bailiffs has significantly reduced and claims in county courts have reduced to almost nothing.

You have to put much of the blame on local authorities for bailiffs, pre-April 2014, being creative in applying fees and charges.

The pressure put on them by councils was not just the obvious 'fee commission' which Harrow were exposed for, but for additional services they were expected to do on a free of charge basis (amounting to the same).

Attachment of earnings, 14 day enforcement letters etc., were expected as freebies and probably why local authorities were notorious for letting them get away with making up their wages with excessive and inappropriate enforcement/van fees.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council's service level agreement (Item 7 of Appendix A), details among several free services it expected, was for its bailiff contractor to provide an automatic number plate recognition vehicle in its enforcement area.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks