Tax code error

Global_Ent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been working for the same company for over 5 years now, but have always thought that i was being underpaid.

I assumed that this was an oversight by my company & that they would make amends at some stage, but didn't instigate anything as i did not want to jeopardise my employment status.

Anyway, after years of waiting, i finally got the nerve to enquire as to how to obtain a definitive answer.

I was told that i should contact the tax office, as they would be the authority on this matter.

To cut a longer story short, after i contacted the tax office, i was informed that not only have i been on the wrong tax code with my current employer for the last 5 years, but they actually knew about this & they were supposed to contact me a year (or so) ago, but somehow this matter was forgotten about.

It turns out that i had a sizeable amount owed to me, but i wouldn't have found this out if i wouldn't have made contact.

I recently received my cheque from HMRC, but my thoughts are, shouldn't i be further compensated for their errors over such a long period of time (5 years)?

I'm aware that if for any reason that i ever owed money to HMRC, i would be pretty much hounded & that there would be serious ramifications if that money i owed to them was delayed for such a period of time.

I have been trying to start a venture for years, but it has taken me a while to save funds.

I even had to lend money (at exorbitant interest rates) from the payday lenders just to get by for long periods of time, which has cost me literally thousands of pounds in charges.

I feel that there should be some accountability somewhere.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!

Edited by citizenB
formatting

I agree, that you should receive something for them having messed you around. But whether you will or not is a different matter. I will ask for you :)

I even had to lend money (at exorbitant interest rates) from the payday lenders

BTW, I am sure you mean "Borrow" from the PDLs ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I dont think you can if i am right. I believe its your responsibility to ensure your tax code is correct and to question it if you feel its not. I have had the same problem and had £2k returned to me but would never have known if I hadn't of contacted them. I complained and was told that they send out a letter explaining the tax code and if you don't understand it, or disagree, you should contact them or a suitably qualified person. My accountant and my employer said the same thing.

I could be wrong and I'm sure someone else will confirm shortly.

you waited 5 years before challenging it.

that could be said to be your issue not theirs

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I agree, that you should receive something for them having messed you around. But whether you will or not is a different matter. I will ask for you :)

BTW, I am sure you mean "Borrow" from the PDLs ?

Thanks.

& apologies for the incorrect term.

you waited 5 years before challenging it.

that could be said to be your issue not theirs

I only waited so long as (firstly) i did not know who would be the correct body to contact), & (secondly) i didn't wish to come across as a trouble maker with my employers.

This is the first experience that i've had with anything remotely like this, so i was unaware of the correct way to handle it.

If HMRC make a mistake it is your responsibility to understand the complexities of Taxation and ask for HMRC to amend their mistake,if you don't, nothing will happen.If you owe the tax man money he will be down on you like a ton of bricks so fast it is unbelievable.This has got to be the only organisation who are not responsible for their mistakes,it is their customer's you and me

FS

I only waited so long as (firstly) i did not know who would be the correct body to contact), & (secondly) i didn't wish to come across as a trouble maker with my employers.

This is the first experience that i've had with anything remotely like this, so i was unaware of the correct way to handle it.

I understand that and I agree wits frustraighting

BUT

The facts as it stands is that it took you 5 years to say anything. As the previous poster and others have said, It is Your responceability to make sure YOUR tax code is correct.

Sadly with the way the law is (and it sucks) HMRC cannot be liable in any way for the fact it took you 5 years to notice.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Agree with other posters.

Unfortunately HMRC are not accountable for their mistakes.

Just take the refund as an unexpected bonus.

Sometimes it's worth to just accept that the system is imperfect and carry on living peacefully rather than start a war lost from the start.

I understand that and I agree wits frustraighting

BUT

The facts as it stands is that it took you 5 years to say anything. As the previous poster and others have said, It is Your responceability to make sure YOUR tax code is correct.

Sadly with the way the law is (and it sucks) HMRC cannot be liable in any way for the fact it took you 5 years to notice.

I assumed that there wouldn't be much that i could do under regular circumstances, but it was just the fact that they (themselves) admitted that they were supposed to send me a cheque last year, but somehow someone neglected to do that.

This is a fact that is on their computer & has been there for at least a year.

If i wouldn't have made contact regarding this, they probably would never have informed me.

It just seems shambolic to me, as they are quick to punish those who hold funds from them.

I assumed that there wouldn't be much that i could do under regular circumstances, but it was just the fact that they (themselves) admitted that they were supposed to send me a cheque last year, but somehow someone neglected to do that.

This is a fact that is on their computer & has been there for at least a year.

If i wouldn't have made contact regarding this, they probably would never have informed me.

It just seems shambolic to me, as they are quick to punish those who hold funds from them.

I quite agree, it is unfair

Hi Global and welcome to CAG

If HMRC makes a tax refund later than 31st Jan following the end of the tax year in which you overpaid the tax, they should pay you interest.

Eg, if you overpaid tax for the tax year ended 5th April 2013 and the Revenue refunded later than 31st Jan 2014, they should pay interest.

The bad news is - the rate of interest applicable is just 0.5%. :!:

Regarding any consequential additional costs you incurred when borrowing from higher-rate lenders, you will not be able to get anything in compensation.

You should have received PAYE Coding Notices which would have showed you were NOT getting the Personal Allowances. You should have queried the Coding Notices back when they received.

Alternatively, if you did not get such Coding Notices, you should have queried THIS with your employer's PAYE Tax Office.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Global and welcome to CAG

If HMRC makes a tax refund later than 31st Jan following the end of the tax year in which you overpaid the tax, they should pay you interest.

Eg, if you overpaid tax for the tax year ended 5th April 2013 and the Revenue refunded later than 31st Jan 2014, they should pay interest.

The bad news is - the rate of interest applicable is just 0.5%. :!:

Regarding any consequential additional costs you incurred when borrowing from higher-rate lenders, you will not be able to get anything in compensation.

You should have received PAYE Coding Notices which would have showed you were NOT getting the Personal Allowances. You should have queried the Coding Notices back when they received.

Alternatively, if you did not get such Coding Notices, you should have queried THIS with your employer's PAYE Tax Office.

Can you provide any links to guidance that confirms interest should be paid to the taxpayer?

HMRC use a rate of 3% if the employer underpays so why only 0.5% for an overpayment?

There is also not an employers own PAYE office, it's a national system.

An employer should always give an employee contact details and the employers PAYE reference number so they can contact HMRC and ask if the right PAYE tax code is operating.

There has always been a difference between the rate of interest the Revenue charges a taxpayer on unpaid or late-paid tax, and what they pay as compo when they refund to the taxpayer.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

An employer should always give an employee contact details and the employers PAYE reference number so they can contact HMRC and ask if the right PAYE tax code is operating.

There has always been a difference between the rate of interest the Revenue charges a taxpayer on unpaid or late-paid tax, and what they pay as compo when they refund to the taxpayer.

The PAYE Reference number will be on any P60 and may also be on the payslip. The employer doesn't give contact details for HMRC, there is one taxes helpline for all taxpayers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees

Employers have their own taxes helpline.

My point is that Global should have spoken to the employer if they thought they were being underpaid.

And the employer should have told Global they were simply operating the tax code supplied by HMRC and that Global could contact HMRC to check this further.

Link to the HMRC tables for interest on tax payable; and on tax refunds - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/interest-late-pay.htm