Work experience

Love or hate me
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a work experience interview tomorrow to work in a charity shop working through the back got it when I went in to do my daily sign on does it last 6-8weeks ? If am not happy with it can I get out it after 2or weeks or some? Just like some feedback on it.

Anyone worked in a charity shop for work experience before via job centre And what hours and days? And was it through the front of store or back of store?

Hope to hear back

You see this is where I have a REAL PROBLEM with so called 'work experience' Fair enough if you are trained on the till and to serve customers and are learning a skill like taking money and giving change and interacting with the public but I bet all you get to do is sort black bags of junk and folding stuff up etc. Sorry, my position on this has not changed - it is free labour what a volunteer (off their own back) would do or a paid member of staff would do - it is NOT work experience unless you have a job description and doing something worthwhile

You see this is where I have a REAL PROBLEM with so called 'work experience' Fair enough if you are trained on the till and to serve customers and are learning a skill like taking money and giving change and interacting with the public but I bet all you get to do is sort black bags of junk and folding stuff up etc. Sorry, my position on this has not changed - it is free labour what a volunteer (off their own back) would do or a paid member of staff would do - it is NOT work experience unless you have a job description and doing something worthwhile

Ye it's not work experience unless u get a job description always said that.

What I will be doing is through the back as I wanted to try warehouse instead of through the front of store which the company has done with other work experience people so the job centre has set me the interview up for tomorrow should find out days and hours but is charity's hours and days just a few?

Is stock days everyday in charity or is it like a shop where it's 2 days a week?

I wouldn't mind like 2 days or maybe 3 for few hours as it would still be some work experience

Which is why I always maintain that you should find your own volontry placement in something you have an interest in. That way you have control over the placement :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Which is why I always maintain that you should find your own volontry placement in something you have an interest in. That way you have control over the placement :)

Mentioned that many times on here which is why I found my own voluntary work for 3 days for a few hours each day - covers me and I am doing something *I* want to do and feeling I really am keeping my skills and references up to date. Do something YOU want to do not what you are FORCED to do

Got a work experience interview tomorrow to work in a charity shop working through the back got it when I went in to do my daily sign on does it last 6-8weeks ? If am not happy with it can I get out it after 2or weeks or some? Just like some feedback on it.

Anyone worked in a charity shop for work experience before via job centre And what hours and days? And was it through the front of store or back of store?

Hope to hear back

It need not be a bad thing, it depends if you get decent people to work for.

When I was with A4e, although I do admin work I asked for a placement with a local charity shop simply to get out of attending A4e every day and all their rubbish. I wasn't expecting much but the people in the shop - MIND charity - were great and I honestly found it a nice change from my usual office work. We'd play 70's disco music all day, drink loads of tea, go out for meals together and had a really good laugh - not at all what I was expecting! I liked it so much I'd actually have worked there full time if only it had been a paying job. It was a very happy and informal atmosphere and I think the manageress knew that if the volunteers were happy then it made the whole job a lot easier. Staff discount on anything you bought, plus first pick of anything that came into the shop was also good too.

After the placement ended I continued to work one day a week as a volunteer for a year, so I must have enjoyed it. I preferred working in the back of the shop, sorting stuff, price-tagging it, using a little steamer to iron the clothes and in the case of any boxes of toys coming in, 'testing' them :) The vans brought in stock every day and it was always interesting to see what would be in the bags - amazing how many brand new, unworn clothes were donated, still with their price tags on. We also had a few guitars in the shop and as I'm a player we'd have sing-songs and entertain the customers. Much better than being crammed into a classroom at A4e doing useless stuff all day.

I hope you get a place exactly like the one I had and enjoy it - if nothing else, it gets the dole off your back for a while. Good luck.

Mentioned that many times on here which is why I found my own voluntary work for 3 days for a few hours each day - covers me and I am doing something *I* want to do and feeling I really am keeping my skills and references up to date. Do something YOU want to do not what you are FORCED to do

Have to agree with essexmat, the word voluntary is self explanatory, you volunteer because you want to, not because you have to. Nothing worse than an organization with apathetic and disinterested volunteers!

It need not be a bad thing, it depends if you get decent people to work for.

When I was with A4e, although I do admin work I asked for a placement with a local charity shop simply to get out of attending A4e every day and all their rubbish. I wasn't expecting much but the people in the shop - MIND charity - were great and I honestly found it a nice change from my usual office work. We'd play 70's disco music all day, drink loads of tea, go out for meals together and had a really good laugh - not at all what I was expecting! I liked it so much I'd actually have worked there full time if only it had been a paying job. It was a very happy and informal atmosphere and I think the manageress knew that if the volunteers were happy then it made the whole job a lot easier. Staff discount on anything you bought, plus first pick of anything that came into the shop was also good too.

After the placement ended I continued to work one day a week as a volunteer for a year, so I must have enjoyed it. I preferred working in the back of the shop, sorting stuff, price-tagging it, using a little steamer to iron the clothes and in the case of any boxes of toys coming in, 'testing' them :) The vans brought in stock every day and it was always interesting to see what would be in the bags - amazing how many brand new, unworn clothes were donated, still with their price tags on. We also had a few guitars in the shop and as I'm a player we'd have sing-songs and entertain the customers. Much better than being crammed into a classroom at A4e doing useless stuff all day.

I hope you get a place exactly like the one I had and enjoy it - if nothing else, it gets the dole off your back for a while. Good luck.

I attended interview today and first impression was great happy smiley people nice long chat with the assistant manager in on Thursday morning for 2 to 4hours she said even 2 days 2-4hours would be fine unless the job centre ask for more but am not sure if they will as it is volunteer.

Plus am working through the back like I wanted which is doing using the steamer and maybe price tagging.

Got my adviser tomorrow I hope she is happy that even for a few hours am doing voluntary work.

The assistant manager in the shop told me u can get a reference from us when here and that doing this work would help me with jobs as they can see on your cv that u do this.

She wasn't happy with the government 6months voluntary work or the daily sign on etc and wasn't helping anyone.

But basically what u did do is what am gong to be doing.

Start my work experience tomorrow in the morning for few hours in morning.

My adviser was saying I should roughly be looking at 20-30hours a week. Wasn't told it was a must or given anything to tell me attend that many hours.

Think it's for between 2-8weeks work experience I'm off daily sign on it's now weekly sign on.

Anyone been sent to volunteer for work experience by job centre and done the 20-30hours a week.

As the woman I got interview by said even 2-3 days for 2-4hours would be fine unless told other wise by job centre but surely even doing them hours should be fine as I am doing work experience and surely if they want me to do 20-30hours they would give me something to let the work experience placement know?

Plus the adviser who sent me was not my adviser she just told me to attend interview and wasn't giving any info on many hours or many days just it would be good work experience for me.

You keep referring to the activity that you are starting tomorrow as 'work experience' whilst at the same time quoting and seeking clarification on conditions applicable to Mandatory Work Experience.

If you sought out and arranged the placement yourself it is not MWA and I don't think MWA conditions will apply.

Basically its voluntary work. DWP do not control or dictate conditions for voluntary work.....Yet.

Secondly, if a placement provider found the placement for you and directed you there then you should have been given a letter setting out all the information necessary to enable you to know what's expected of you. The most basic of that information would be daily start and finish time, the number of hours attendance per week and the start and finish dates of the placement.

This link provides useful information on MWA:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?428310-The-question-of-mwa

You keep referring to the activity that you are starting tomorrow as 'work experience' whilst at the same time quoting and seeking clarification on conditions applicable to Mandatory Work Experience.

If you sought out and arranged the placement yourself it is not MWA and I don't think MWA conditions will apply.

Basically its voluntary work. DWP do not control or dictate conditions for voluntary work.....Yet.

Secondly, if a placement provider found the placement for you and directed you there then you should have been given a letter setting out all the information necessary to enable you to know what's expected of you. The most basic of that information would be daily start and finish time, the number of hours attendance per week and the start and finish dates of the placement.

This link provides useful information on MWA:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?428310-The-question-of-mwa

Started my work experience this morning enjoyed it.

Try to explain I was in at job centre signing on daily Monday got told to wait after I signed on and to speak to an adviser for work experience which they are doing to everyone signing on now and this adviser called the charity shop to see if could do work experience but through the back which was fine which I got ask to attend interview on Tuesday and to sign a form for them to talk to them which I think they will be doing with everyone think it's for 2-8 weeks work experience was not given any letter to tell me to attend these days and hours I haven't spoke to the woman who set the interview up since Monday and I had my adviser yesterday and i told her I had work placement and she said u roughly should be doing 20-30 hours but was not given anything from her plus the manager of the charity shop said they don't really get work experience in for those 20-30 hours.

Back tomorrow for few hours in morning but so far after today I enjoyed it

Also if you are on daily sign on can u be put on the 6month (forced) work placement ?

Also would I come under mwa? As this is work experience for 2-8 weeks.

Also my (own adviser) never set it up it was just an adviser who seen me after getting signed on by a sign on adviser and was told by the (woman adviser who spoke to me about the work experience) and she said it was just to get me some work experience to add to my cv nothing else.

Don't quote me on this but... If you are actively engaged in a volunteering role to gain work experience, you should not be referred for a MWA placement. If you do get called in by the JCP to "discuss" a MWA placement, point out that you are already engaged in a voluntary placement and you should hopefully avoid any mandatory placements.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a link to the official guidance that covers situations such as yours.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I have read your description of the events leading up to your work experience placement from the time it was first discussed with you, and I have to say again that it bears no resemblance to the procedure that is meant to be followed for placing claimants on MWA.

If you are still attending the Job Centre daily I can't understand why you don't seek clarification on what is going on. You are well placed to have all your questions answered, first hand, as it were.

Different advisers signing you up to different activities, to run concurrently, with no obvious co-ordination between them is also an unusual state of affairs that does not appear to be covered in any DWP Guidance.

Daily attendance lasts as long as the adviser chooses to keep you on it. If they choose to have you undertake some other activity they can stop the daily attendance if it interferes with that activity. However, if the way you are being treated so far is anything to go by you could end up having to undertake every activity in the book at the same time.

No consideration is given to voluntary activities if the advisers and managers at the Job Centre decide to place the claimant on MWA.

The link that Mr. P. refers in included in the link provided in post number 12. Here it is again:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/300734/pg-part-p.pdf

I am not on daily signing on this was stopped on Wednesday I did 2,, 3 hours shifts Thursday and Friday start my 25hours a week placement from Monday think it's 2-8 weeks placement up to me if I wanna stick at it.

But if I don't should be fine? And see if I got to another charity shop and own my own accord to do like 2-3 days for between 2-4hours shift can the job centre stop you? Or tell u to get more hours? Just like to have this clarified.

I am not on daily signing on this was stopped on Wednesday I did 2,, 3 hours shifts Thursday and Friday start my 25hours a week placement from Monday think it's 2-8 weeks placement up to me if I wanna stick at it.

But if I don't should be fine? And see if I got to another charity shop and own my own accord to do like 2-3 days for between 2-4hours shift can the job centre stop you? Or tell u to get more hours? Just like to have this clarified.

OK. Your daily attendance ended on Wednesday. Not sure why you should still be asking questions about it on Thursday as if you were still on it. Surely that is one problem less for you to concern yourself with and confuse your other issues.

Not quite sure either why you should still be unsure of what exactly is the nature of the activity that you are now participating in if you had read the MWA Guidance in the link provided. The crucial point about Mandatory Work Activity (MWA) is that it is MANDATORY, the clue is in the name.

By Mandatory, as can be discovered on reading the Guidance, the claimant does not have a choice in the selection of the placement, the number of hours are set and are not negotiable, daily start and finish times and breaks are not negotiable, the duration of the placement is also non-negotiable. The placement provider determines all that and gives the claimant a copy of what has been determined in writing. The claimant must then comply or have a pretty good reason for not doing so.

The activity that you are now undertaking is not mandatory. As you describe it, 2-3 hours per day, 2-3 days per week, 2-8 weeks in total. The number of hours per day, daily start and finish time, number of days per week, the actual days, and the duration of the activity, all unknown. Up to you if you want to stick at it and should be fine if you don't. Basically, you are coming and going as you please.

Whatever you choose to call it, MWA it is not.

As it isn't MWA, and you are participating in this activity of your own accord, then, as far as the DWP is concerned, it couldn't care less. You have already explained that basically you are doing as you please and you are not being dictated to or challenged by advisers.

If, however, the DWP decide to put you on MWA (4 weeks), or CWP (6 months), any voluntary activity that you may be involved in will not be considered or accepted as an alternative or as a reason for not participating.

I shall try again all I was asking if anyone who is on daily sign on can they be told to do 6months work or can u only be put on one of them?

And on to me now I start my 25hours a week work expereince tomorrow the manager of the charity shop picked what days and hours I work for but should be 2-8 weeks and if I wanna stop it I can just let my adviser know ? Like I have said I haven't been .giving any letter to tell me it is mandatory as surely if it was I would be giving a letter telling me this.? Only signed a form at the job centre to give them permission to basically know that I have attended interview etc or not. But also the person getting people work experience on the day said nothing here but I could contact this charity which have given work exeperience through the back of store before I said yeh that's fine then got the interview but like I said I was not given any info that it was mandatory.

But I'm giving this 2 weeks if I don't like it I shall tell my adviser she shouldnt be fussed as I actually have attended some work experience.

If I leave that work exeperience and few days later go to another chairty at my own accord and the hours I choose can the job centre tell u to get more hours or can u just tell then no I done this on at my own accord?

• 1 month later...

Hi folks.

I was wanting to know if you are not well while on work experience do you tell the job centre or just let the work experience know? And is there a numbers of days you can have off when doing work experience?

Thanks.

I would tell the jobcentre and the place where you do the work experience.

Most definitely.

You should also fill in a JSA28 form and get it back the the Job Centre as soon as possible. This will cover you for 14 days.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Should I? I was off sick on the day I sign on but I forced myself to go in so I would get paid. I called work experience placement and asked if I would have to tell the job centre they told me no don't worry basically they wouldn't tell the job centre plus only been of 1 day and I have done over a month work experience.

Plus would it be to late for JSA28?

• 1 month later...

Hi.

i finished my 8 weeks work experience the job centre sent me to a few weeks ago,

i have stayed on as i enjoy it. i do 2-3 days a week. my question is tho about taking days off at voluntary .

i was having a chat with few people on another forum and they were saying that you only get a limit of days off at the volunteer place you work? but i said how i am voluntry and have finished my 8 weeks so i stayed on at my own accord so the job centre can't do anything as it is voluntary.

i was wondering what anyone thinks of it.

to me if you have done your 8 weeks work experience and you have stayed on at your own accord the job centre can't do anything if you tell your the place you volunteer at that you won't be in that day surely?

If you are doing voluntary work and not mandated then you can choose what days and hours you work, I manage a charity shop and have volunteers who are on JSA, (just to make it clear these volunteers are NOT MANDATED) I am used to people phoning me at short notice if they cant make it or are called into the JC at short notice, I had 2 ladies who were both advised on Monday that they had to go to the JC on Tuesday to fill out application forms for a new store opening, but as far as I am concerned its up to the volunteer what days and hours they work ( I am grateful for any help so don't make demands)

I am aware JSA claimants have to let the JC know if they volunteer, where and what days they do it, but its not my job to police this for the DWP, I have only had one enquiry about one of my volunteers from the JC but refused to talk to them over the phone citing the DPA and asked them to put their enquiry in writing, they never did and the person in question is still volunteering for me ( I did tell her about the phone call tho)

Hope this answers your question