My husband stood as guarantor for my niece for her rent - query

Fringer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I shall repeat myself once only as you have failed to heed what you are being told.

YOUR failure to provide photo id is NOT a MATERIAL BREECH, so the agreement stands.

I hear what your saying I just can't believe they can make this agreement stand when they haven't adhered to what they state they require.

Also I never failed to produce anything, they failed to ask me

You didn't have to reply.

Providing ID is for them to comply with money laundering legislation, you can't use it I'm afraid.

All you can really do is ask them to send you a copy of the agreement.

Thanks, I have a copy of it which is why I asked if it was legal having noticed these issues

I hear what your saying I just can't believe they can make this agreement stand when they haven't adhered to what they state they require.

Also I never failed to produce anything, they failed to ask me

You didn't have to reply.

No one has to reply, but if no one replys all you will have is a board full of questions.

This oversight to obtain documents (and i would say that the document you have posted does imply it is your responsibility to provide the id) does not detract from the validity of the contract, a contract that you willing entered into of your own free will.

You could stick your heels in and say "take me to court", and odds on the judge will say that while the agents did fail to obtain the documents both parties entered into the agreement of their own free will with the intention of complying with the requirments of the agreement. Quite simply the judge will look at intent; you signed it with the intent of being the guarantor so you are the guarantor.

The issue of the photo id while within the document is not relatedcto being a guarantor but related to moneylaundering as steampower stated so not relevent.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Thanks, I have a copy of it which is why I asked if it was legal having noticed these issues

Unfortunately, if you signed the guarantee I can't see a way out. Sorry. You might be able to reclaim the amount from your friend's daughter.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

What an awful spot to be in!

That's the thing with standing as a Guarantor, you are the one left facing paying out £....

As this is a friends daughter, can you get in touch & speak to them?

See if you can, between your friend & yourself talk to the daughter & find out why she's in arrears & to work out a way out of this situation.

All done in a fair but firm manner.

In future if anyone asks you to stand as a Guarantor then decline them, no matter who they are & what they promise!!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

• dx100uk changed the title to My husband stood as guarantor for my niece for her rent - query