Additional State Pension?

mpbdsnu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife currently gets Additional State Pension on top of her State Pension because she made extra contributions before she retired in 2011.

When the new State Pension comes into effect in 2016 it will be at the new rate of £148 for everyone.

Will she still get Additional State pension on top of the £148? Or will the £148 be the maximum she will get? It will be unfair and a complete waste of time her making extra contributions if she doesn't get extra!

I have been told yes?? as I too get the additional one? see what others say?

I have been told elsewhere that she will get what she is getting now. This will leave her worse off than those who have made less contributions, but will get the new rate! This can't be right, surely?

The definitive answer comes from the Government itself and that is:

If you are already over State Pension age, or reach your State Pension age before the new scheme starts, you will continue to receive your State Pension in line with present rules.

So she won't lose anything.

People already receiving State Pension won't be switched to the new rules - they will apply only to those who reach State Pension Age after April 6th 2016:

The new State Pension will replace the current State Pension scheme. You’ll get your State Pension under the current scheme if you reach State Pension age before 6 April 2016.

Those who make new claims after 06/04/2016 will receive the higher of the new amount or the amount they would receive under the current scheme, including any Additional State Pension, but I add this for information only - it will not apply to your wife. She will stay on the current system and will not lose any money.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Ah, right, I see - I read your question as asking whether her pension would change - it will not. It is just that newer pensioners with full entitlement will receive more.

On some level this does seem a bit arbitrary and unfair to those currently claiming, but that's a political decision. Perhaps if enough existing pensioners write to their MPs and generally protest about this it might change.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Ah, right, I see - I read your question as asking whether her pension would change - it will not. It is just that newer pensioners with full entitlement will receive more.

On some level this does seem a bit arbitrary and unfair to those currently claiming, but that's a political decision. Perhaps if enough existing pensioners write to their MPs and generally protest about this it might change.

Didn't see this!

age concern has information on this

I couldn't find it mate when I looked. Anyway, I have just written to Ian Duncan Smiths office for clarification, as no one seems to have a definitive answer on this, there are too many grey areas and too much contradiction!

That is a useful link, and I must admit I was not aware of the generous 25p per week you get when you reach age 80. I mean, this is 2014 - couldn't we stretch to 50p per week? :-D

Also useful from Age UK - Who wins and loses with pension changes?

That is a useful link, and I must admit I was not aware of the generous 25p per week you get when you reach age 80. I mean, this is 2014 - couldn't we stretch to 50p per week? :-D

Also useful from Age UK - Who wins and loses with pension changes?

What a dizzy amount 25p extra - cannot wait:)