Driving to a MOT station

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes. ANY vehicle that is being used or driven on the public road needs to be backed by a policy of insurance which covers at least third party risks.

Edit: with the new CIE rules, the second vehicle should already have a policy of its own.

Of course, the second vehicle must not belong to you or be hired to you.

If your policy certificate says 'may drive other cars', that wont count either as the 'drive other cars' is only in effect if that car is already insured. You could drive the next door neighbours car (third party only) on your policy as long as he had it insured for himself to drive.

Does a vehicle have to be insured to drive it to a MOT station on a pre-arranged appointment? I have comprehensive cover on my own vehicle and third party cover if driving another vehicle.

It will depend on the wording of your insurance policy (might be covered in the T&C's). Some policies specify that if using the 'driving other vehicles' extension on a fully comp policy, that the 'other vehicle' must have its own insurance in place. However, most don't. But it's worth checking as if it is there, you'd be uninsured.

If it doesn't say that the other vehicle needs to be insured in its own right, then yes, you'd be able to drive it on your FC policy. Though allow extra time for your journey, as if you get 'pinged' by an ANPR equipped vehicle, they probably will be stopping you. Might also be worth taking your policy with you as well, so that they can see it (and check with your insurers), hence the reason you need to be sure of your policy wording. thumbup.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Here's the wording on my policy as an example:

Persons or classes of persons entitled to drive. Mr Dragonfly may also drive with the owners permission a motor car that is not owned by or registered to, or hired, rented or leased to, them, their business partner or their employer, or is being kept or used in connection with their or their employer's business.

Driving other cars extension. Policy section 1. Cover only applies for the specific driver as shown on the Certificate of Motor Insurance. Cover is limited to third party only.

No mention of the other vehicle needing to have it's own policy of insurance. But you'd need to check your own policy, schedule & T&C's to be absolutely certain.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

oThe car does have a valid SORN. Don't want to spend money on insurance if the car does not pass the MOT. Can you get temporary insurance for 48 hours?

It is a 2001 MGF and was last taxed in November 2012. It was collected and delivered by a garage using garage plates. They did check the vehicle to see if ti was okay in general, but did not do a MOT.

oThe car does have a valid SORN. Don't want to spend money on insurance if the car does not pass the MOT. Can you get temporary insurance for 48 hours?

It is a 2001 MGF and was last taxed in November 2012. It was collected and delivered by a garage using garage plates. They did check the vehicle to see if ti was okay in general, but did not do a MOT.

Temporary cover would be the ideal solution, it's available from 24 hours up to 31 days.

I've used these in the past http://www.dayinsure.com/ but there are, I'm sure, plenty of others offering a similar thing.

Temporary cover would be the ideal solution, it's available from 24 hours up to 31 days.

I've used these in the past http://www.dayinsure.com/ but there are, I'm sure, plenty of others offering a similar thing.

Be wary of some of the temp cover ones, their t&c's sometimes state that the vehicle has to hold a valid MOT and TAX. So if stopped you'd be uninsured anyways :(

Be wary of some of the temp cover ones, their t&c's sometimes state that the vehicle has to hold a valid MOT and TAX. So if stopped you'd be uninsured anyways :(

Dayinsure (linked above) don't state that. In fact, they do specifically state that one of their 'temp policies' can be used to tax a vehicle, and MOT isn't mentioned at all. I suppose it might be worth an email to specifically check with them. Always better to be safe than sorry after all.

But as there's an exemption in law for driving a vehicle without an MOT or VEL (to or from a pre-booked MOT), I'd say you'd more than likely be ok.

Thanks. Prices seem very reasonable, but need to check the small print.

Further to my above... Here's the DayInsure blog which specifically deals with their policies and no MOT.

https://www.dayinsure.com/blog/one-day-car-insurance-the-basics/

In the comments section at the bottom.

Q. Hi, I have a car that I have had SORN’d and am now wanting to get it back on the road. Will your day insurance cover me for taking it to the garage for it’s MOT? Thanks.

A. Hi Kevin, Thanks for your query. Our insurance will cover you for taking your vehicle to the garage provided you have booked it in for its MOT prior to starting your journey.

Kind regards,

Support

So, you'll be OK with DayInsure at least thumbup.gif

Unless declared SORN and a SORN certificate held, all cars must be insured continuously. ......

is it now an 'offence' then for someone else (who has TP re other cars) to take a sorn vehicle to mot (arranged) without the sorn vehicle being insured by the reg'd owner?

is it now an 'offence' then for someone else (who has TP re other cars) to take a sorn vehicle to mot (arranged) without the sorn vehicle being insured by the reg'd owner?

I'd say not. The vehicle either has to be SORN'ed or Insured (in its own right). So I'd say, for the purposes of an MOT, it'd be quite legal to drive a SORN'ed vehicle to/from an MOT using valid TP-OV cover.

Not necessarily, there are 'any car' policies.

What is being stated above is some, (not all like it used to be), certificates had a clause that said 'may drive another car not belonging to and not owned by the policy holder', but the policy said that was only in force if the car was already insured. It was to make sure there was not general driving of all and any car with just the one policy ie insure a Mini and drive around in a Bentley.

They can put that in if they want but requiring a car has a tax or an MOT are entirely un enforcable by an Insurer, if they try and decline a claim under this the Ombudsman would be all over them and they would be breaching FCA rules.

Note an Insure cannot require an MOT but if the car is unroadworthy and it being unroadworthy caused or significantly caused the accident and they had a wording to this effect they can enforce this (It's up to the Insurer to prove the car was unroadworthy and this caused the accident). But they cannot insist on Tax and / or an MOT.

It should also be noted that there are plenty of Insurers who do not require the vehicle being driven under driving other cars to hold it's own Insurance

I phoned and check and they are happy for an untaxed car to be taken to a MOT using their insurance which is underwritten by Arriva. Car booked to go in for its MOT at the station we always use although it is not the closest as it is 12 miles away, but they are reliable and honest.