Universal Credit/dependant children

Marco73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have recently made a claim for UC and received an advance due to the time it would take to process my claim.

I then received a call a week ago from the Jobcentre saying there was a discrepancy on my claim form.

To claim UC, you musn't have any dependant children, to which I answered NO on the claim form online.

There is a drop-down which explains what a dependant is; 'For Universal Credit, a dependant child is a child or a qualifying young person who normally lives with you'

At the Jobcentre appointment I stated to the advisor that I wasn't available for work on weekends as I have my 4 year old Son (who lives with his mum), on Saturday and Sunday every fortnight.

They have now stopped my claim because they say that my son is classed as dependant and living with me.

I have tried to get an explanation of their decision but, as yet, no luck.

I have even looked online and at HMRC which states that a dependant is; 'a child up to the age of 18 resident at the applicant's permanent address and maintained by the applicant'

I explained that if I was to visit my family or friends and stay overnight every fortnight, would this mean I live with them? Also, I asked that if I was then to claim JSA, would I have to be available for work whenever due to me having 'a dependant child'. "i don't know", was the answer!

I am still waiting for the call back but meanwhile, could anybody put me in the picture.

Hmm. UC is very new, of course, and we haven't seen all that many claimants here. But I do not see how a child who stays with you for only two days in fourteen can be classed as a "dependent child" of yours by the definition you gave from the UC website. I presume it is your son's mother, and not you, who receives Child Benefit for him?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I would guess, and this is just a guess, that this is teething troubles for UC as a new benefit. At the moment, only the simplest cases are being transferred to UC - no dependent children, disabilities or the like. The processors have seen that there is a child involved in some way in your life, and have mistakenly assumed he is your dependent.

But I do not see how he can possibly be classed as your dependent since he is already his mother's dependent - we know this because she receives all the CB and CTC for him, and he lives with her about 86% of the time. The system is not suppose to unreasonably penalise non-resident parents who spend time with their children.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for your input folks.

Why I should try to explain to Universal Credit until I am blue in the face is beyond me; it's as clear as daylight.

Civil Servants who are supposed to be 'Professionals'.

I shall persevere.

Thanks again