Speeding - I admitted my guilt but been hit with £745 & 6 points?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I need a bit of help...

I was caught doing 37 in a 30 zone... my car, only I'm insured to drive it... and I have openly admitted... it was me !!!

I've never had a driving offence before, not even a parking ticket, not bad as I'm in my late 40's ;o(

I received the letter to identify the driver... I filled it in but I couldnt read my number on my driving licence... so that took me about a week to get that... so when the form was complete, I sent it off. Two days later, I get the same form saying you havent filled this in... so I thought well I have and the 2 letters just passed in the post.

It then goes quiet... nothing.

This morning, 6 months after the offence... I get a "Fail to give information relating to the identification of the driver / rider of a vehicle when required" letter from the "Clerk to the Justices"... accompanied by a £745 fine & 6 points.

But I admitted it was me... as I wanted to do the speed awareness course... so what can I do now??? As I think I'm shafted, I aint got a hope of proving that I did send it off as the police will just say they didnt get anything from me. It'll be my word against theirs.

Anyone else been thru anything similar ???

Edited by iwasguilty

Did you contact them when you throught the letters had crossed, or just ignored it? If the latter, that was a silly thing to do.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Did you contact them when you throught the letters had crossed, or just ignored it? If the latter, that was a silly thing to do.

It was a matter of 48hrs later... so obviously they'd just passed each other in the post.

Well, i know its too late to say this now, but with things this serious, you really need to check up at every opportunity. We all know what the court system is like. However, sit tight and lets see if others can give better advice. Hopefully theres a resolution to this for you as you sent the info in any case.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I suspect they thought you were just playing silly buggers with them,thats how it comes across.

I had sent the form off before I got the reminder though... and that was 5 months ago, so I've now been penalised for a clerical error... and I aint got a leg to stand on.

look at it from there point of view,their records will show they sent two letters out and you didn't bother replying to either,thats how it comes across,when the reminder came you should have sent it back stating the info and telling them you had already replied,they don't care about people,these big government departments are just machines.You wont do that again

Too late in this instance, but I would always recommend to anyone dealing with such important documents that, at the very least, you should get a "proof of posting" receipt from the post office. It costs nothing but would protect you when you can subsequently produce this receipt when needed such as to the court in this situation.

Even better would have been to pay for a "signed for" delivery which costs about £1.10 for a standard size letter and you would then have been able to monitor that it was delivered on the postoffice web site.

Too late in this instance, but I would always recommend to anyone dealing with such important documents that, at the very least, you should get a "proof of posting" receipt from the post office. It costs nothing but would protect you when you can subsequently produce this receipt when needed such as to the court in this situation.

Even better would have been to pay for a "signed for" delivery which costs about £1.10 for a standard size letter and you would then have been able to monitor that it was delivered on the postoffice web site.

I've just sent them a letter back... giving them the full details of whats happened over the last 7 months... and yes, also stating it was me driving... I sent it recorded delivery this time too !!!

So I'll see what happens... I'm fearing the worse though.

Wow after 6 months silence, I get 2 letters today off the DVLA, thats 3 in 4 days, although they are identical... they want my driving licence to stick the 6 points on !!!

I'm happy I'm not up to date with my shredding, I just found the reminder letter... last line says "Please disregard this letter if you have already complied with our request for information"... which I did, so it shouldnt be a problem with me not responding to that then.

• 3 weeks later...