I'm a tennant and being investgated for HB fraud. Please help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm so grateful to have found this site and really hoping that someone may be able to help me.

I have been asked to attend an Interview Under Caution on Monday and need to prepare myself.

My story is that last year I was living in rented accommodation that I could no longer afford so was looking for a private tenancy for myself and young daughter.

My neighbour who was a friend offered to rent me two bedrooms, a living room, bathroom and shared kitchen. I gladly accepted and moved in on the 1st March 2013.

I was working 23 hours at the time and received WTC, CTC, CB and HB. I notified them of my move and completed a tenancy agreement with my local authority stating what I received for my rent etc.

In October 2013, I left my job to pursue further training in which I am in the assessment stages and hope to be qualified and working by late Summer. I declared myself self-employed from 1st January 2014 and notified both HMRC and LA.

The relationship between myself and my landlord developed over late last year and his divorce was finalised in December 2013.

I have to attend the interview as they believe I am living with my partner.

My question is, what defines a couple?

I pay rent to him every month and I pay for everything with regards to my daughter, groceries, my debts, car etc myself. He does not support me in anyway financially. So what are we doing wrong in the eyes of the law??

I am so confused and unsure what they are going to ask and present to me as evidence??

Please help!

It's not just the issue is what is a couple any longer. Housing benefit is provided for a commercial tenancy and once you are in a relationaship with the landlord, some LA's will say the tenancy is no longer commercial so you are not eligible for housing benefit. You can always appeal any decision, but that may be their standpoint.