• Tweets

• good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • The clock is ticking for savings providers. They now have just a few weeks left to get their act together and start offering loyal customers a good deal.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have you received a "council tax liability order notification" or a "council tax liability order".If it's the former, does the letter state where/how it can be obtained ?If it's the latter, you already have the order.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you received a "council tax liability order notification" or a "council tax liability order".If it's the former, does the letter state where/how it can be obtained ?If it's the latter, you already have the order.

It is a notification and does not tell me how to get the order and from whom..

You know the notification is correct, as you were there.

You won't succeed in disputing the costs, because they are laid down in legislation. You would need a heavyweight team of barristers and a judicial review, even then I think you would be wasting your money.

As ims21 posted earlier, you are on a hiding (figuratively not literally) to nothing.

You can't get a liability order set aside.

The council say you should be paying council tax and you had a chance to attend court to show you didn't if that were the case. There is absolutely nothing the court can do, they can take no circumstances etc into account, just you are or you're not liable. It would be up to you to show you are not liable.

You can ring the council and get the arrears spread over time.

....You won't succeed in disputing the costs, because they are laid down in legislation....

You are probably right in there being no prospects of succeeding in disputing the costs. However, legislation provides only for reasonable costs incurred in connection with obtaining the Liability Order.

The law makes further provision that if, after a summons has been issued but before the application is heard, the debt is paid or tendered to the council (including costs reasonably incurred in instituting the summons), it shall accept the amount and the application shall not be proceeded with.

Whether the Liability Order is obtained or the application is not proceeded with, the council is not permitted to add on what the hell it likes to subsidise Council Tax administration, or to set-up, manage and monitor payment arrangements, before or after issuing the summons and any expenditure after obtaining the Liability Order.

To further analyse this it would be handy to know the actual costs and whether they are composed in proportion with those for instituting the summons and an additional amount for when it's necessary to proceed with the application.

On the day of the hearing I was handed a one A4 sheet of paper with the following on it under the heading Court costs-per case..

1/ Costs involved monitoring payments and identifying defaulters (per list checking)

2/ Cost involved processing court lust and summonses ( IT support- te

am time- computer center time)

3/ Cost involved making complaint to the court (staff attendance at court.

4/ Court fee (fee to court for each summons)

More to follow..

5/ Cost of printing, enveloping and mailing summonses. (Transmitting print file print company producing summons plus postage)

6/ Costs involved between summons and the hearing date (Answering correspondence/ dealing with customer's enquiries)

7/ Cost involved attending court. (Staff attendance at court plus conducting hearing)

8/Cost involved processing liability orders (14 day letters) (IT support team time- computer centre time)

9/ Cost involved dealing with post liability order. ( Answering correspondence/ dealing with customer's enquiries)..

Number 4 is something I will start with by asking the question, if a fee is paid to the court, then why does the council issue there own summonses..

In someone's opinion it would appear that the £3 Magistrates' court fee payable per summons is to more than subsidise the courts overheads.

Many millions of £3s makes up a lot of money.

That person is also of the opinion that because not all the debtors who receive a summons have to pay the summons costs, the Taxpayer in general is footing the bill for much of this, i.e., unwittingly paying for the running of our courts.

In someone's opinion it would appear that the £3 Magistrates' court fee payable per summons is to more than subsidise the courts overheads.

That person is also of the opinion that because not all the debtors who receive a summons have to pay the summons costs, the Taxpayer in general is footing the bill for much of this, i.e., unwittingly paying for the running of our courts.

Read the article. It really is a load of [edited]..

Ok, balderdash. lol..

Edited by Consumer dude

dude

for yr reference again :) re challenging an LO:

s82 Local Govt Act 03 which gives councils power to apply to mags to quash an LO. mags can then quash if 'satisfied that a liability order should not have been made'.

and re common law, http://www.greenhalghkerr.com/articl...bility-orders/ (but, double check this case law is still current)

as seen there, it wld ordinarily be difficult to set aside/quash.

then, there is also Judicial Review if you think that there has been some illegality, impropriety, etc.

9/ Cost involved dealing with post liability order. ( Answering correspondence/ dealing with customer's enquiries)..

They've handed you this one on a plate. Nothing could be more black & white

The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992, Regulation 34(7)(b)

(7) An order made pursuant to paragraph (6) shall be made in respect of an amount equal to the aggregate of—

(a) the sum payable, and

(b) a sum of an amount equal to the costs reasonably incurred by the applicant
in obtaining the order

It categorically makes no provision for any expenditure incurred post liability order.

In that where number nine is not allowed, does it follow that the liability order can be quashed as that amount was included in the original claim/summons..

Quashing of Liability Orders (Explanatory Notes).

190. New paragraph 12A(b) enables regulations to be made permitting the magistrates' courts to substitute a liability order for a lower amount where it considers that a liability order could properly have been made had it been made for that lower amount (which would include a sum for the costs incurred in obtaining the original order).

Schedule 4, 12A

The reference with regards the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 is Regulation 36A

• 2 weeks later...
Number 7 which is 20% of the total amount of the cost is for council staff to attend court and why would it need so many of them to do so anyway ?

It might not just be the number of council staff attending court. Another factor to consider might be the mode of transport?

I don't think there are complaints about the £3 but the other £hundreds of millions per year collected on top of the £3.

I don't think there are complaints about the £3 but the other £hundreds of millions per year collected on top of the £3.

On an individual basis the element of costs which is the Magistrates' court fee is not an obvious cause for complaint, however, there is still a concern with the volume of applications made by local authorities that can only mean councils are paying (via the taxpayer) to subsidise the overheads of running the court service. This is especially the case where costs are not collected when waived for example. The responsibility for this substantial transfer of funds from councils to the MoJ is entirely with the local authorities because the Council Tax Regulations DO NOT oblige the council to apply to the Magistrates' court for the issue of a summons, the law only provides that they "MAY" make complaint.

In cases where Magistrates' courts and local authorities apply the Magistrates' court fees Order Regulations correctly, the sums paid to the court would exceed (in many cases) the £3 sum per application for a Liability Order.

I would estimate the majority of Magistrates' courts are unaware (and local authorities too, or pretend to be) that the Magistrates' court fee (£3) is payable for each householder who is jointly and severally liable for the debt.

In those cases where the Local Authority pays as per the relevant Regulations (apparently there are ones that do), it means that if, for example, there are four adults within a household who are liable for the debt, the council are obliged to pay £12 to the Magistrates' court in fees for instituting the issue of a single summons. In such cases, this money will be retained by the Ministry of Justice, whether or not the Local authority successfully obtain the Liability Order, or if the authority choose to waive the costs.