Capital limits for IR ESA please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Asking for a friend.

Could someone please point me to the current rules on capital limits, cut offs and reduction ratios for someone who is receiving IR ESA WRAG, SDA, DLA (LRC & MRC) and in receipt of LHA and CTA ?

It would be helpful if they were in some sort of simple, tabular form because my friend is profoundly dyslexic. I know this is a big ask. I can work on reformatting information but thought I would ask here, as the information might already be out there in a dyslexia friendly format.

Thank you in advance, wise folk of CAG

As far as i know u can have to £6,000

Without any affect to your benefit. Anything over that you get £1 taken away from your benefit for every extra £250 so as i understand it if u have £6,500 u lose £2.

Anything over £16,000 benefit is stopped completely.

However u must not deliberately depose of any of it to under £16,000 to hold on to the benefit entitlement as u will be treated as still have it under deprivation of capital rules.

Thats correct as far as im aware someone will correct me if not.

As far as i know u can have to £6,000

Without any affect to your benefit. Anything over that you get £1 taken away from your benefit for every extra £250 so as i understand it if u have £6,500 u lose £2.

Anything over £16,000 benefit is stopped completely.

However u must not deliberately depose of any of it to under £16,000 to hold on to the benefit entitlement as u will be treated as still have it under deprivation of capital rules.

Thats correct as far as im aware someone will correct me if not.

That's pretty much correct, yes.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

What counts as disposing? Not that i'll ever encounter this but if i won £100k on a bet could i buy a house and then claim benefits either immediately or at some later stage?

This idea is called "Deprivation of Capital" and it's decided on a case by case basis. You probably could buy a house, yes, provided that house would be your main residence - no holiday homes in Spain. You could buy a car, but perhaps not a Ferrari. If you need a new boiler, you could do that, or replace other household appliances. You get the idea.

In the end, you'd need to show that the expenditure was reasonable given your circumstances, and they would have to show that you spent the money with the specific intention of entitling yourself to means tested benefits.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Easy solution; i bought the house so as to not squander the money on gambling and because my current living arrangement has an expiration date ;-)

Now all i need to do is work out how to win 100k. In reality i wouldn't claim jsa unless i absolutely had to and like most people would prefer to be financially independent. Would be very nice though not to have to pay rent/mortgage making part-time hours a possibility.