Claiming for travel to hospital

abc123def
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently in receipt of IR ESA and am due to have a surgical procedure at a hospital in the next month. It will be under sedation and I am not allowed to drive home. I live alone and have no friends or family who could offer lifts. Depending on the time of the appointment given, I could walk there at a push if it's not pouring down, it must be about 5 miles, though I am supposed to be resting the joint. However as the procedure is orthopaedic I will need to rest my hip and keep weight off it for a while afterwards. At this moment in time I have no money to fund a taxi home, is there a way I could somehow have the taxi funded without having to claim back the cost on the way home if I can't raise the money before hand? At the moment I am so pleased to be having the procedure that will ease my pain but unsure how I can get myself to and from there or even if they will discharge me given I have no one at home. Mostly my worry is how to fund the transport with no money up front.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Have you spoken to your GP about this? Some surgeries offer hospital transport. Sometimes this is paid for (at a reduced rate) sometimes it is free. Likewise, have you spoken to the hospital about your dilemma?

Out of interest, how much would a taxi cost each way?

Have you spoken to your GP about this? Some surgeries offer hospital transport. Sometimes this is paid for (at a reduced rate) sometimes it is free. Likewise, have you spoken to the hospital about your dilemma?

Out of interest, how much would a taxi cost each way?

Taxis are way out of my league so I never take them so I am totally guessing about £8 maybe? Each way. Pretty sure my surgery doesn't do anything.

Hello there.

Does your area have a Good Neighbours scheme? They helped a friend of ours.

http://www.goodneighbours.org.uk/website/?page_id=579

HB

Thanks honeybee, you've actually linked to something in my area! I've noted down the phone numbers. I can't see how much it would cost me or how I would claim that cost on the website?

The procedure is going to be done at a local private hospital but funded by the NHS so I guess that fulfills the criteria for claiming.

rebel, in your first link it does say I can claim the costs in advance by contacting the commissioning group beforehand so I will try that. I would need to get fixed quotes beforehand then.

It's such a pain being on my own. I'm worried they won't be happy to discharge me knowing I will be alone at home. Though I think they might just keep me in a few hours extra to be sure the sedation and anaesthetic has worn off.

I'm worried they won't be happy to discharge me knowing I will be alone at home. Though I think they might just keep me in a few hours extra to be sure the sedation and anaesthetic has worn off.

Hi

Aside from your transport issue, have you told the hospital that you will be alone after the procedure? Before any sedation is given you should be asked who will be picking you up and who will be staying with you for the following 24 hours. If you cannot supply that, they 'may. not proceed.

I know my hospital (Norwich) follow this as I ended up having a procedure without sedation-OUCH!

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi

Aside from your transport issue, have you told the hospital that you will be alone after the procedure? Before any sedation is given you should be asked who will be picking you up and who will be staying with you for the following 24 hours. If you cannot supply that, they 'may. not proceed.

I know my hospital (Norwich) follow this as I ended up having a procedure without sedation-OUCH!

I have also been in the situation where, had I told the hospital in advance that I would have to go home alone, they would not have given me any sedation.

As it was I didn't tell them and just left the waiting room when no staff were around, but I did have someone at home with me shortly after I got there.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Yes I'm fairly sure they won't do it if they know I will be home alone afterwards so I have no intention of telling them. I am normally completely honest but the pain I have been in is awful and this should really help, when I was told I could have this done in the next month I came home and cried with relief, it's been 2 years of hell. I will just tell the hospital staff I am being picked up, and I will be, by a taxi driver, all being well.

If you told them shortly after the procedure has been done that your accompanying person had just texted to cancel they may well just say you have to stay a while longer and then organise transport home for you. After all, what else could they do? They can't undo the procedure and sedation and they can't reasonably abandon you to your own devices though they're not likely to be very happy about it.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.