TV fault from Currys

danc0
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a Samsung LED TV from Currys back in April 2013.

I have been experiencing problems with the sound for a while now;

first one being sound just cutting in and out on Freeview

and that problem eventually went (hopefully for good!) and

now there's a problem where it emits a high pitched noise whilst watching anything in HD; on HDMI ports and Freeview HD,

so I know it isn't a problem with the ports or wires.

This problem hasn't gone and it's very annoying after a while of watching anything!

I just think to myself I didn't pay £350+ for a TV to have any problems with!

I went down to Currys today, explained the problem to a KnowHow member of staff and he didn't have a clue on anything to do with a TV.

He just told me to bring it in and they'll send it off for repair and I said no I'm not being without a TV whilst it goes off for repair due to a fault which wasn't down to me!

I rang up KnowHow and an automated service told me now they cannot do anything

and I must take anything up with Samsung! It looks to me like they're passing the fault.

I rang Samsung but they're closed so I'm stuck really.

What should I do?

I expected a refund on the product

- I'm still going to be shopping in the same shop so I don't see their problem!

Where do I go from now?

I'm not accepting a repair on a 7 month old TV so I will be without one for a while.

Why are they passing the problem onto Samsung when I didn't buy the TV from Samsung?

I bought it from Currys, so I think their duty as a seller is to refund me; or a least not jib me off!

Thanks for any help.

sadly after 6mts or even before then

you don't have the automactic right under SOGA

to demand a refund

they can repair/replace or refund at their disgression

however is IT CURRYS problem not samsungs

just be aware they are sadly sometimes very poor on knowing your rights.

also the issue of another tv whilst yours is away

unless you took out knowhow warranty [a WASTE of money!!"]

then under SOGA theres no loaner TV policy.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sadly after 6mts or even before then

you don't have the automactic right under SOGA

to demand a refund

they can repair/replace or refund at their disgression

however is IT CURRYS problem not samsungs

just be aware they are sadly sometimes very poor on knowing your rights.

also the issue of another tv whilst yours is away

unless you took out knowhow warranty [a WASTE of money!!"]

then under SOGA theres no loaner TV policy.

dx

Ohhhh I wasn't made aware about after the 6 months with The Sale of Goods act. :|

I sent an e-mail to Currys just before your post stating about that act and now I feel as if I'm going to be knocked back...again!

But I did state how disgusted I am in their staff and customer aftercare and that they should resolve my issue, not Samsung (something I got right :-D)

and demanded a refund or replacement - not a repair as I have had even more problems with it than what I said!

No I don't have the KnowHow policy;

I've had it in the past with other TV's and my claims were handled quickly!

I paid £1500 for a plasma when they were expensive, took the policy out,

discovered a problem years later when the TV's were worth £700 and they gave me £1500 on gift cards!

I was pleased to say the least.

However, I had so much trouble with my laptop with that policy it went on for months and I do not recommend it for laptops at all.

I just hope I scared them with my strong, well worded e-mail :lol: Fingers crossed!

yes upto curry's to send it back to them then

in the meantime, SOGA still applies

repair, replace or refund at their discretion

typically they [curry's] state 28days in the past.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dan

Write to your Debit Card (remember the article states it varies from card provider to card provider), give them the full facts, as much detail as possible.

Remember to mention that you bought the product from Curry's, who are directing you to contact the manufacturers, so Curry's don't want to know.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

on my debit card
Edited by rebel11

Didnt I read it right, the op was asked initially to take the tv to store for them to send it off (presumably to samsung) but the op refused. How is this passing the buck or not wanting to know?

Who's the op?

You read correctly, the KnowHow member of staff couldn't advise except bring it in we'll send it off, the auto message placed the burden on the consumer to contact the manufacturers, the consumer is getting conflicting information. The consumer would be without the TV for sometime, a TV which is relatively new, which he spent a lot of money on.

Didnt I read it right, the op was asked initially to take the tv to store for them to send it off (presumably to samsung) but the op refused. How is this passing the buck or not wanting to know?

You read correctly, the KnowHow member of staff couldn't advise except bring it in we'll send it off, the auto message placed the burden on the consumer to contact the manufacturers, the consumer is getting conflicting information. The consumer would be without the TV for sometime, a TV which is relatively new, which he spent a lot of money on.

Yeah, in Currys the KnowHow member of staff told me be doesn't have a clue, not giving a clear answer; he said 'might have to bring it in or something but ring to see what they say' so I didn't know what was clear. When I rang, I didn't even get spoke to personally apart from a robot telling me to call Samsung, not them - proving that they aren't interested, 'passing the buck' to Samsung.

It seems to be, this time and times in the past, that Currys try every possible way to get of resolving a problem. If they are going to be funny and awkward with me, I will be with them. I won't accept a repair on a fairly new and hardly used TV I paid over £350 for! I've had more problems than that, the TV has dead pixels and intermittent sound which I ignored to save hassle - wish I just reported the first problem when I noticed!

Last year Dreams did a similar thing with me and tried to fob me off, I stood my ground and I got my money back.

if the knowhow robot line is telling people to goto the manufacturer

then you need to report it to the trading standards institute

that is VERY WRONG.

dx

and they

Let us know how you get on and don't give up.

Yeah, in Currys the KnowHow member of staff told me be doesn't have a clue, not giving a clear answer; he said 'might have to bring it in or something but ring to see what they say' so I didn't know what was clear. When I rang, I didn't even get spoke to personally apart from a robot telling me to call Samsung, not them - proving that they aren't interested, 'passing the buck' to Samsung.

It seems to be, this time and times in the past, that Currys try every possible way to get of resolving a problem. If they are going to be funny and awkward with me, I will be with them. I won't accept a repair on a fairly new and hardly used TV I paid over £350 for! I've had more problems than that, the TV has dead pixels and intermittent sound which I ignored to save hassle - wish I just reported the first problem when I noticed!

Last year Dreams did a similar thing with me and tried to fob me off, I stood my ground and I got my money back.

that is VERY WRONG.

dx[/QUOT

The company will use Samsung as their repair agents as who better to repair ttheir products than Samsung themselves.

Customers will usually be given the opportunity to arrange the repair themselves

(they can always politely decline and request the store does it for them. To which the store can never refuse)

however do expect the repair to take up to at least 14 days longer!!!

not disputing that

what needs addressing is the fact that a retailer should not

direct a customer to the manu

its THEIR responsibility to fix the thing

and prob at their cost too.

not at the expense of the customer

and they

There's is nothing wrong in giving the customer the choice in this instance. Taking it to the store will certainly add a few extra days to the turnaround time, simply because there is a middle man. Going direct to the repairer will often get the product repaired quicker as they will collect direct from the customer. The op is in such a hurry to have it back, going direct would be more ideal I would have thought.

Sadly I don't think you will get to dictate the method of resolution, not by quoting your rights as your rights in this case clearly state as dx has said, it's their choice. I understand it's your pride and joy, but they aren't refusing to resolve the matter for you.

My samsung tv was repaired by samsung and they told me they insist they do their own repairs under manufacturers warranty. Some manufacturers insist upon this so it's not really the retailers fault it has to go to the manufacturer I think.

Just an update on the tv - just been watching my Apple TV noticed that there was no sound problems and the screen has just completely went on it! It's all coloured lines and, basically, unwatchable - you cannot see whatever is on screen.

This has fired me up and I am 100% adamant I will not accept a repair, it's a number of problems now and the TV is unwatchable! Ill try my best to get hold of Currys directly or in store tomrorow if I have time

How many previous repairs has the tv had? If its the first time then I very much doubt they'll exchange it for you. They will at least need to send it off for assessment. As it is more than 6 months old then I believe the onus is on the buyer to prove that it was an inherent fault. Also, as the tv is not an essential item, not much u can do in the way of being compensated for loss.

Electrical items do break down, that's why we have warranties etc. take it to the store and let them contact samsung or do it directly if you want the repair done slightly quicker. You won't (nor are you entitled) to an exchange or refund. Save yourself the stress.

Electrical items do break down, that's why we have warranties etc. take it to the store and let them contact samsung or do it directly if you want the repair done slightly quicker. You won't (nor are you entitled) to an exchange or refund. Save yourself the stress.

you cant say that

its upto the retailer to decide.

if the repair is not possible or cost too much

they could replace or even refund

dx

and they

The product was purchased through Curry's, SOGA states that the Retailer is the first port of call, unless the Retailers business ceases. So to direct a consumer and for the Retailer to buck their responsibility is very wrong.

that is VERY WRONG.

dx[/QUOT

The company will use Samsung as their repair agents as who better to repair ttheir products than Samsung themselves.

Customers will usually be given the opportunity to arrange the repair themselves

(they can always politely decline and request the store does it for them. To which the store can never refuse)

however do expect the repair to take up to at least 14 days longer!!!

Electrical items do break, but the product should not break after after 8 months usage.