• Tweets

• I disagree with the charge and also the statements sent. Firstly I have not received any correspondence from DVLA especially a statutory notice dated 2/5/2024 or a notice 16/5/2024 voiding my licence if I had I would have responded within this timeframe. The only letter received was the single justice procedure notice dated the 29.5.2024 this was received on 4.6.2024. I also disagree with the statement that tax was dishonoured through invalid indemnity claim. I disagree that the licence be voided I purchased the vehicle in Jan 2024 from RDA car sales Pontefract with agreement to collect the car on the 28.1.2024. The garage taxed the vehicle on the 25.1.24 for eleven payments on direct debit  using my debit card on my behalf. £62.18 was the initial payment on 8.2.24  and £31 per month thereafter the second payment was 1.3.24.This would run from Jan 24 to Dec 24 and a total of £372.75, therefore the car was clearly taxed before  I took the car away After checking one of my vehicle apps  I could see the vehicle was showing as untaxed it later transpired that DVLA had cancelled my tax , without reason and I did not receive any correspondence from DVLA to state why it was cancelled or when. The original payment of £62.18 had gone through and verified by my bank Lloyds so this payment was not declined. I then set up the direct debit again straight away at my local post office branch on 15.2.2024 the first payment was £31 on 1.3.2024 and subsequent payments up to Feb 2025 with a total of £372.75 which was the same total as the original DD that was set up in Jan, Therefore I claimed the £62.18 back from my bank as an indemnity claim as this payment was from the original cancelled tax from DVLA and had been cancelled . I have checked my bank account at Lloyds and every payment since Jan 24  up to date has been taken with none rejected as follows: 8.2.24 - £62.15 1.3.24 - £31.09 2.4.24 - £31.06 1.5.24 - £31.06 3.6.23-£31.06 I have paper copies of the original DD set up conformation plus a breakdown of payments per month , and a paper copy of the second DD setup with breakdown of payments plus a receipt from the post office.I can also provide bank statements showing each payment to DVLA I also ask that my licence be reinstated due to the above  
    • You know hes had it when they call out those willing to say anything even claiming tories have reduced taxes on live tv AS Salmonella says: The Conservative Party must embrace Nigel Farage to “unite the right”, Suella Braverman has urged, following a disastrous few days for Rishi Sunak. The former home secretary told The Times there was “not much difference” between the new Reform UK leader’s policies and those of the Tories, as senior Conservatives start debating the future of the party. hers.   AND Goves replacement gets caught booking in an airbnb to claim he lives locally .. as of yesterday you can rent it yourself in late July - as he'll either be gone or claiming taxpayer funded expenses for a house Alongside pictures of himself entering a house, Mr McGuinness said Surrey Heath residents “rightly expect their MP to be a part of their community”. - So whens farage getting around to renting (and subletting) a clacton beach hut?   Gove’s replacement caught out on constituency house claim as home found on Airbnb WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Social media users quickly pointed out house Ed McGuinness had posted photos in was available to rent     As Douglas Ross says he'll stand down in scotland - if he wins a Westminster seat - such devotion.
    • I've completed a draft copy to defend and will post up here for review.  Looking over the dates and payments this all stemmed from DVLA cancelling in Feb , whereby I set up a new DD in Feb hence the overlap, why they cancelled when I paid originally in Jan I have no idea. Anyway now stuck with pending court action and a suspended licence . I am also firing off a letter to DVLa recorded disputing the licence revoke
    • Thank you both for your expert knowledge and understanding. You're fighting the good fight by standing up for people like me and others with limited knowledge of this stuff. I thank you. I know all my DVLA details are good. I recently (last year) renewed my license, and my car's V5 is current with the correct details; the same is valid for my partner. I'll continue to ignore the love letters 😂 and won't let it bother either me or my partner.  I'll revisit this post if/when I get a letter of claim.  F**k ém.
    • Please check back later on today for a fuller response and some edits
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

impending reposession Blemain..

marvin1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Surely it is a Claimant's prerogative to keep or change their sol'rs at any stage. And I don't think you can assume anything from this about whether your case is stronger, or they are scraping the barrel.

I don't see that the court would necessarily hold a change of sol'rs detrimental to your case.

I'll ask for someone more experienced to take a look though.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who were the original solicitors acting for them ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The whole 'change of solicitors means they're worried or on the run' is a complete and utter misnomer which gets perpetuated by people on internet sites repeatedly saying the same thing (on the premise: say it enough and people will begin to think it's true). It is not unusual for anyone to change their solicitor mid way through a case, for a variety of reasons, usually because there is something that another solicitor is more experienced in, but often because the amount of work one firm has means they cannot follow through on everything directed their way. It means absolutely nothing in relation to the strength or weakness of the defendant's case.

OP should certainly be looking at making a claim for the charges - until he/she does so, there is no counterclaim as the judge will take the contract as it is written (unless there is a pointer in the defence which indicates unfair terms), and will judge on the facts before him, not on the underlying agreement. The argument has to be raised in court for the judge to consider it.

Is the account statement that blemain are relying on as evidence, clear and transparant, enough for you to be able to analize it? if not, or you know of discrepancies, bring this to the judges attention and request that they supply a more understandable one with a clearer and fuller breakdown. Check it against any statements you already have. they purposly use different formats of statements to keep you in a state of confusion. Use this to ask for an ajournment to bide more time, if you need it then the ajournment will be their fault so they cannot claim costs, for that hearing. You must defend and if you find that there are grounds for over charging etc then ask for extra time to build your counter claim once blemain has supplied you with a correct statement. Note you can ask the court at any stage to alow you a counter claim but the sooner the better. p.s did they use monach recoveries to chase the late payments in the early stages as this was basically a fictitious company of theirs used to bump up charges. good luck and if you are approached by their legal representative at the court do not talk to them

well i have managed 'i think' to break down what we owe from the statement sent with the court papers, there is a big lump which is added interest for late payments but a lot of it is for charges and the aforementioned insurance costs. in the earlier stages of them hassling me i did ask for proof of the insurance cover that was charged for. they never once sent anything. not even any evidence of it on the SAR i requested. all we get is statements with the insurance costs on them. i have been thinking of sending a letter to their solicitors just reiterating that i am seeking to reclaim the charges due to them being excessive and disproportionate along with a copy of the letter i sent to blemain asking for a refund...do you think this is wise or should i not contact them at all till the court date.

thanks again everyone, it has been a great help just having someone there. i hope you all have a great christmas and i will keep you up to date with any news..

Hi marvin1

Before I or you do anything please confirm that this is a regulated agreement, it should say onthe top of your loan agreement (thisloan is regulated by the consumer credit act)

Secondly on your agreement you will find the total amount payable on this loan (including interest)now add up all payments you have made (find this on your statements)

Now if this agreementis regulated and you have paid back more than £6.5k you are in a strong position,but as you are new to all the legal aspects of what is happening, I wouldadvise you to tell blemain to go away now and remove the charge from your house,and if they do you will not claim any costs at this stage.

Ok now I think you would like to know why they would go away rather than take you to court, soI will explain what happened when I put a defence in to court when they triedto repossess my house.

Lay man’s terms

1 I defended saying the interest rateon my agreement was unfair!

They drop any claim for interest on any part of the agreement that meant Ipaid no interest on any part of this agreement from day one (totally interest free loan)

2 I defended saying charges and intereston charges unfair (over £6,000)

They remove all charges and intereston charges (save over £6k)

3 I defend saying insurance is unfairand the same as any other unfair charge (total insurance and interest oninsurance approx. £3,000)

They remove all insurance charges (save £3,000

Summery

To stop the judge making a judgment on the terms of my agreement blemain dropped what they were claiming.

Marvin in your case if blemain continue to court,and the only money theyare claiming from you is charges, then they can’t continue without having to prove the terms of their agreements are fair, (and believe me they are far from fair)

Also if they continue and wish to drop the amount they are claiming asthey did in my case, then you will find they will have to pay you back all the interest you have paid on this loan.

Now I have a suggestion, as you work such long hours I don’t think youwould want a full blown fight with blemain ,so give them a way out of this predicament they have got themselves into.

May I suggest that you e-mail blemains solicitor and blemain and give them48 hours to reply to your offer to drop hands on this case at an early stage to save on costs.

Write to blemain and tell them that as their claim is totally made up of unfair charges then you will be defending this fully. But as a gesture of goodwill and save as to costs you are willing to accept a drop hands at this early stage. Explain to blemain you are going to defend against their costs and charges the same as in the case blemain v baker case number 1PB26250 Remind them that in this case they dropped their claim for costs and charges, insurance, and also removed all the interest,and if this were to happen in your case then they would owe you monies.

Also ask them to confirm that if they wish to proceed from this point on.Then they are willing to prove their costs and charges and interest rate is fair. (terms and conditions of agrement)

I think blemain will come back to you and try to get you to make small monthly payments to them, as you don’t owe them anything then why pay them anything.

wp3

Edited by welshperson3

Hi welshperson3, firstly i must thank you immensely for taking the trouble to post such an in depth reply on xmas day. very interesting what you say, it certainly says that it is regulated ...exact wording is

"fixed sum loan agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 secured on (my address)"

one other thing i have noticed on the first page of the 'legal charge' is that 'the legal charge has not been assigned a land registry reference', not sure what this means. i shall tomorrow morning add up all my payments and do as you say, write to both Blemain and the acting solicitors. at an estimate, as i made all payments, albeit some late we have paid back over £9000.

thankyou very much again

Marvin

well i have now, after a lot of working out managed to list everything i have paid and it turns out it is almost £100 more than the total amount including the credit on the original agreement. i also came across a couple of discrepancies on the statement they sent. on 2 occasions the 'payment due' is listed the same as what the direct debit should have been but they tried to take out £30 more on both occasions. the interest rate had not been changed and i am 99.999% sure we had not had any notification of any payment change. i have done as you suggested welshperson, wrote to both blemain and their solicitors and e mailed them. i have also sent a copy of the letter to the court, not sure if i should have waited till the hearing but thought it might give the judge some more insight into it.

Hope you all have a happy and good new year.

Marvin

well after 5 days i resent an email to blemain and their solicitors and today all i got from blemain was that it had been re directed to another dept....still nothing from either of them in hard letter form..less than 10 days to hearing...

Hi Marvin,

Don't let their delays make you late in sending any documents to the court and the sol'rs in good time, so they can be properly considered. Judges have a tendency to ignore items they consider to have been submitted "late".

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

still nothing off either blemain or solicitors even though 2 reminders have been sent by e mail. i have although heard from the FSO (copy of e mail below) and they are writing a disputing letter to both of them which is i hope a bit of help, i have today written and asked for an adjournment as they suggested.

Thank you for your reply.

I think the best thing to do is to raise a formal complaint about this to Blemain, therefore I have constructed a letter to go out to them today regarding these issues.

Unfortunately at this late stage with the court date so close there is not a great deal I can do to help halt the proceedings, I would therefore strongly suggest contacting the court to advise them that you have a formal dispute regarding the charges and that you have referred the matter to the Ombudsman, they may be able to adjourn it for a while to give us the change to investigate after we have allowed Blemains complaints department to issue a response.

If you give me the details (address, contact name and any reference) of the solicitor Blemain have instructed I can write to them to advise them of our involvement and see whether they are prepared to hold off on action, I will also request in my letter to Blemain that they do this, unfortunately they are under no legal obligation to do so, but it may help.

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely

Yesterday i received a reply from blemain basically refusing to drop the case or remove the charge from the property, also they are unable to give me any proof of the buildings insurance cover due to the fact it is something that is concerned with them as a buisness and nothing to do with me as a customer. they have agreed to take off £155 which they say was charges wrongly applied...(big deal).

i also got a letter from their solicitors saying that they have written to the district judge asking for the hearing to be adjourned and that they will not be in attendance on 14th so as not to add any more costs to me...and that i need not attend either. i do wonder though weather i should go in case anything happens without my knowledge.

they responded to me mentioning the case that welshperson suggested by saying each case is different and they couldn't recall that particular case.

anybody have any suggestions on my next move now they have rejected removing the property charge and all the costs ?

any ideas are most appreciated.

thanks

Marvin

Hi Marvin,

It's very unlikely the sol'rs are being underhand but you must get confirmation that the sol'rs have applied for, and been granted, the adjournment they refer to.

Speak to the court staff and ask for an email or fax to confirm the hearing's adjourned and your attendance is not required.

Hi Marvin

I think blemain are asking the court for an adjournment because they received a letter from the FCA as in your post 38.

Phone the court Monday and they will confirm if blemain have asked for an adjournment, the court will also tell you what reason blemain have given for asking for an adjournment.

For blemain to ask for an adjournment you have got them worried,this is a first as blemain have a policy of taking as much court action as they can just to add charges to your balance.

As for buildings insurance, then let me explain.

A penalty charge is a charge that happens when you don’t comply with one of the terms of the agreement.

The reason they charge you for letters ,phone calls, monthly arrears, admin charges, legal charges, buildings insurance, is because you broke one of the terms of the agreement,

Now all the above charges would be fair if blemain charged you what it cost them, for example if they charged you £2 for a phone call then it would more than lightly cost them £2 as they have to pay someone to make the call to you they also have topay for each phone call they make.

What makes a phone call charge unfair is the fact that they make a profit from It rather than just covering what it cost them.

Buildings insurance is the same as any other penalty charge,they make a massive profit from it, and hence it becomes a penalty and unfair.

TREAT BUILDINGS INSURANCE THE SAME AS ANY OTHER PENALTY

Let us know what happens after you phone the court Monday,and think of this it cost blemain to make an application to court, it also cost them legal charges and they don’t apply to adjourn unless they have something to worry about, so keep smiling you’re on the right track.

wp3

i agree go to court. Also test them on the buildings cover tell them you have had a couple of tiles / slates come off in the recent gales and would like a claim form this will also give you details of the insurance company or if it is just another ficticious blemain company like the monach recoveries they invented and had to disolve. you should have learnt by now [how they behave].

Edited by slick132
defamatory remarks removed. Please see Site Rules about posting

Anyone having trouble with blemain should read up on whatthis means

Putting the claimant to strict proof

Ask them to prove what each and every charge added to youraccount cost them

In relation to costs, we submitted that the defence plainly put the claimant to strict proof on all aspects of his claim, and as of the date ofthe hearing the claimant had failed to address these matters. DDJ Hubball considered it unreasonable behaviour, and costs were awarded pursuant to CPR 27.14(2)(g). He ordered the claimant to pay the defendant’s costs which he assessed at £1500.

This case illustrates the importance of putting the claimant to strict proof on key issues in a defence. When these issues are not addressed, the claimant may well be seen to have failed to have sufficiently dealt with the disputed issues, which in turn may result in adverse costs order in the defendant’s favour.

wp3

Edited by welshperson3

i have now had a reply e mail from the court that says in the first instance that the hearing will remain listed, and then it says it has had a request from the solicitors to ask for an adjournment,

copy of e mail

Dear Sir,

3P*** ********

With reference to the above matter, I am writing to inform you that your email dated 8th January 2014, has been referred to the District Judge, who has responded that the hearing on Tuesday (14th January 2014) is to remain listed.

I can also inform you that the Court has today received a request from the Claimant's Solicitors (Bootes - on behalf of Blemain Finance Ltd) for the hearing on Tuesday to be adjourned, and to be relisted on the next available date after 28 days. The file is now in the process of being referred back to the District Judge to see if the hearing can now be adjourned.

Yours faithfully

i will phone the court tomorrow to find out if it has actually been adjourned, hopefully it will be. i will again now write back to blemain and tell them i am committed to challenging all the costs and charges and say that i will need them to give myself and the courts definitive proof the charges reflect the true costs they incurred.

This is all new to me and just keep thinking that i have broken the agreement and that they have the right to make the charges but after your invaluable advice i am now thinking i might stand a good chance of winning. if i was still in arrears with them as far as the actual loan was concerned then i would expect to pay more but we have actually paid more than the original agreement and all the arrears were paid up before the loan term finished.

in their last lengthy letter all they did was state that i had broken the terms and conditions and all their charges are set out in the original agreement.

i have got the FOS helping me as far as i can work out, they have written to both blemain and their solicitors stating they are helping me dispute the claim and they have sent me a complaint form to return, which i will send by recorded in the morning.

thanks for all the help everyone ....will keep you posted

Marvin

OK, i have just constructed an e mail to blemain, do you think this is written fairly ? if someone could let me know as soon as you can i will send it today

Thankyou for your letter dated 8th January. I can confirm that i have referred this to the FOS as you have still not supplied any proof of actual costs to yourselves in regards to the charges applied to us. They have told me that they have written to both yourselves and your acting solicitors. i have also had an e mail from your solicitors that they have applied to the court for an adjournment, and that i need not attend on 14th. could you please confirm this.

(copy of e mail from court)

Dear Sir,

3PB6**** ***** ****

With reference to the above matter, I am writing to inform you that your email dated 8th January 2014, has been referred to the District Judge, who has responded that the hearing on Tuesday (14th January 2014) is to remain listed.

I can also inform you that the Court has today received a request from the Claimant's Solicitors (Bootes - on behalf of Blemain Finance Ltd) for the hearing on Tuesday to be adjourned, and to be relisted on the next available date after 28 days. The file is now in the process of being referred back to the District Judge to see if the hearing can now be adjourned.

Yours faithfully

Mr S Cracknell

Civil Section

i will contact the courts tomorrow to confirm that it has actually been adjourned. either way i will ask that you supply before the hearing date, strict proof that every single charge, fee and insurance cover that were applied reflect true costs to yourselves and that no profit was made by yourselves in the process.

i would like to refer you to a recent case that when the claimant failed to address these matters. DDJ Hubball considered it unreasonable behavior, and costs were awarded pursuant to CPR 27.14(2)(g). He ordered the claimant to pay the defendant’s costs.

I look forward to your early reply.

Yours Sincerely

For anyone with a consumer credit act regulated loan from blemain

Here is an easy way to show how blemain have a total disregard for rules and regulations,

Go and get some of the letters blemain sent you saying they were going to add a charge to your account (phone call, letter, monthly arrearsetc etc)

Now get your statements of account.

Look at your statements for the dates that charges were added to your account, then look at the date on the top of the letters blemain sent you saying they were going to charge you for something.

What you will find is that blemain put the charge on your account before you received the letter.

What you also should know is that once a charge is added toyour account you are paying compound interest on that charge from the day it isadded to your account.

Ok now why is the above such a big deal?

Because the consumer credit act says that blemain shouldn’t add charges to your account until 29 days after you have received notice of the charge.

The consumer credit act also says that only simple interestis allowed (NOT COMPOUND) as your loan agreement is a compound interest loan then anything added to it gets compound interest added to it.

Blemain are making a lot of money adding charges up to 2 months early and then charging them compound interest for the time remaining on the agreement

5 DEFAULT SUM NOTICES

5.1From 1 October 2008, creditors will be required by section 86E of the

1974Act42 togive the debtor a notice in a specified form where a

defaultsum becomes payable under a regulated agreement. A 'default

sum'means a sum (other than interest) which is payable by the debtor

inconnection with a breach of the agreement

Thenotice must be given to the debtor within 35 days of the default

sumbecoming payable.44 Thenotice may be incorporated in any other

statement ornotice under the 1974 Act.

Thecreditor may not charge interest in connection with a default sum

beforethe 29th dayafter the day on which the default sum notice was

givento the debtor.45 Inaddition, such interest must be simple interest,

and may notbe compounded.

sorry for the late update, phoned courts monday afternoon who told me that the case had been adjourned and i will be getting a letter to confirm. yesterday i had the letter, and today a letter from their solicitors to say that proceedings have been commenced in respect of the property and will be heard in court on 12th February...so which way do i go now, inform blemain and their solicitors that i will be needing proof of all costs to them with regards to what they charged me....i dont know.

thanks