• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Natwest Possession Hearing

roland60
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I have a possession hearing coming up in under 10 days and I only received the notice yesterday with the postage stamp date for the day before, giving us less than 14 days to sort out a solution with our mortgage provider.

The hearing is due to the arrears accumulated during the pandemic, our monthly contractual payments are all up to date for the last 5 months all on time, no late payments and the arrears have not increased since.

I have spoken to the mortgage provider over the last 2 days and they are willing to set up an arrangement for the arrears over a maximum of 30 months only, the arrears are just over £19K and works out higher than our contractual payment itself!

I have been trying to get them to extend the repayment term for the arrears but they are saying 24-30mths is their usual policy but this is only doable with the help of additional funds from the family, to which I have said that this policy is old and not right for what’s happening in the market today with the mortgage crisis and a lot has changed over the last 2yrs, policies need to adapt with what’s happening today, and according to the media banks will look at each case individually.  

My query is that will I be risking it to attend this 10mins hearing that has been arranged to try and get the judge to extend the repayment term for the arrears? 

Thanks

Roland

Hi Honeybee

Thank you for replying and flagging this to Ellen.

I had a few health issues in the past and fell into arrears during that period, Natwest have a policy where you can capitalise arrears once every 5yrs, which is what i did back then.

I have just over a year remaining in order for me to try and capitalise again, to which I have asked to do it now but they have said they won't do it even as an exception earlier than 5yrs, again an old policy of theirs. 

Regards,

Roland

Hi - I'm sure we can help you with this.  Firstly, how many years are left on the mortgage ?

• Thanks 1

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thanks for that info.  The reason I asked is because there is case law (Cheltenham & Gloucester v Norgan) which is a precedent for asking the court to consider payment of the arrears to be spread over the remaining term of the mortgage in order to make repayment affordable (although spreading over 22 years may be asking a bit too much of the court)  you can also use s.36 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

How much could you comfortably afford to pay towards the arrears each month in addition to the normal monthly payment ?   for example £150 towards arrears would clear them in around 11 years,  £200 would be around 8 years.

I can help you with a defence statement for the court hearing if you need me to ?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

OK,   have you received an N11M defence form  in the court documents you received ? (I will give you instructions for filling it in).

Could you please answer the following questions so I can start to draft the defence statement:

Is the mortgage in joint names ?

Are there any children living in the property?

What was the reason for the arrears?

Are you able to work with Word documents?  and have a printer?

What is the date of the hearing?  and are you able to physically take documents to the court ?

I will come back to you tomorrow when I have all the above info  if that's OK ?

There was no N11M form.

Is the mortgage in joint names ? yes.

Are there any children living in the property? yes one child 2 years old.

What was the reason for the arrears? Pandemic, we are self employed and had no Government help.

Are you able to work with Word documents?  and have a printer? yes

What is the date of the hearing?  and are you able to physically take documents to the court ? 3rd July, yes I can take the documents to court.

I will come back to you tomorrow when I have all the above info  if that's OK ? Thanks Ell-en

I'm surprised there was no defence form included - can you please describe the documents you received

Hi Ellen

Thank you for getting back to me, appreciate it.

Yes I do have the ——— Forms which were sent in the original claim in Jan ‘23 but the hearing was adjourned with liberty to restore for a year only. The original claim was issued as a miscommunication with the solicitors & Natwest, we were in midst of sorting out the arrears directly with Natwest and our account was on hold, but the solicitors requested a date for the hearing which was then adjourned. 

We were in midst of sorting out a variation deal where we extended the term for our mortgage to free up some money to put towards the arrears. This all went through but took until end of March for them to implement it, which they apologised yesterday for but no one got back to me regarding sorting the arrears after the variation was completed which is what should have happened.... we continued to pay our mortgage Direct Debit every month since Jan ‘23 with no missed payment and the arrears have not increased since. I have NOT spoken with the Legal team at Natwest but the financial support team who only have the authority to set a plan for 30mths maximum.... 

The letter I received couple of days ago was to restore the hearing with a date and I have attached the order, as can be seen it’s less than 14 days they have given us to sort it out.

Court Letter.pdf

Thanks for the info - it makes sense now.  As there is no N11M   we will submit a defence with a financial statement.  I have affixed the budget sheet we use in these situations,  it calculates automatically as you fill it in.    Make sure you put your name(s) and the case number at the top (case number will be on court documents).  

If possible you should print out proof of all monthly payments being made from Jan this year.

Do you have anything in writing from the lender stating they want the arrears paid back quickly it would be good to have a copy of that to show the judge.

Budget Sheet - CAG use.xls

Thanks Ell-een.

My partner had a chat with Natwest today as we were not happy about the way they reinstated the possession hearing in the midst of setting up a repayment plan, and that we have had no correspondence or calls regarding the hearing from Natwest or their Solicitors. Natwest apologised and have said they would look into the matter and will get back to me on Monday, as they agree this should not have happened and the order doesn't give sufficient time scales. I will update you on Monday.

Yes the N11M form was only with the original claim which i never filled in as the hearing was adjourned as mentioned in my previous post.

Thank you for helping with the defence and sending the budget sheet calculator.

I will print off the monthly payments to my mortgage since January as proof.

I don't have anything in writing/email regarding the payment arrangement they are offering me of 30mths, i will request this from them on Monday.

Hi,

I will start to draft a defence statement and get it to you asap.   I think you should definitely take the statement to the court on Monday just in case Natwest drag their heels and don't cancel - no point in waiting to see what they do, at least you will have lodged your defence and the court will send a copy to them - that might make them have a re-think.

Hi,  affixed is your statement for court - you need to fill in the boxes at the top (the info will be on court letter).

On the budget sheet and your list of payments since January make sure you write your names and Case number at the top of those documents.

Print out the statement (set printer for A4 not letter size) and make sure it all stays on one page  - then sign and date.

Affix the budget sheet and payment list to the statement securely before handing in to the court office (take a copy of it all for yourselves so you have one to refer to in the hearing).

When you hand it in to the court ask if there are any duty legals there on the day of your hearing - if so you should get to the court a little early and approach them to ask for their assistance - they can accompany you into the hearing and give support to your case.

Any questions just shout :)

Roland60 statement.doc

Great - don't forget to keep us updated.  If by any chance Natwest say they will cancel the hearing, you should ring the court to confirm as lenders have a bad habit of "forgetting" to follow it through and if you didn't turn up at the hearing they would get a possession order by default - I'm afraid you just can't trust them :(

Hi

I spoke with Natwest and they have confirmed that the hearing has been adjourned and were confused as to who had requested the hearing as it wasn't Natwest or their solicitors?... I then rang the court and there was an issue getting into the system and I was told that someone will call me tomorrow morning to confirm.

Did you take the statement to the court ?

The court has confirmed that they have received an email from the claimant stating that both parties agree to have the case adjourned with liberty to restore.

The court informed me that the hearing will still go ahead and the letter from the claimant will be put on file for the judge to see, I was also told I could email the court if there is anything i would like to put forward to the judge.

I haven't taken the statement to court.

On 27/06/2023 at 15:15, roland60 said:

The court has confirmed that they have received an email from the claimant stating that both parties agree to have the case adjourned with liberty to restore.

The court informed me that the hearing will still go ahead and the letter from the claimant will be put on file for the judge to see, I was also told I could email the court if there is anything i would like to put forward to the judge.

I haven't taken the statement to court.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yes, take your statement to the court or email it