• Tweets

• Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
    • what device are you using? copy all the questions then come here to this thread and paste them. then answer each question click on red give answers here. when done  hit submit reply bottom right.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Oh dear, oh dear... Parking Eye : Lost in Court yet again !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here you go :)

ParkingEye spanked in court

Claim no 3QT62646 in the Brentford County Court was heard today, 23 October 2013.

ParkingEye paid a contract lawyer, Mr Larda, around £300 to turn up on their behalf. Apparently that was not enough money for him to bother to read the brief correctly; he thought he was representing Private Eye.

Possibly he wanted to quote the Private Eye Arkell v Pressdram case.

He was also a little behind on his paperwork, attempting to serve papers on the defendant 14 days after the time limit expired.

For the full story.... http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You have to love PE's representative bottle for daring to tell the Judge he was wrong :lol:

District Judge Jenkins explained he was throwing the claim out because it was not brought in the name of the landowner. He said the landowner could bring the case in their own name if they wished.

Mr Larda explained to the judge that he was incorrect, and that a case held in 1870 showed otherwise. The Judge was having none of it. Mr Larda tried again, explaining that ParkingEye had won cases 'all over the land'. The judge asked for transcripts, which were not forthcoming.

The Judge then announced that, in his opinion, a contractual arrangement to manage parking does not give rise to a cause of action to claim for damages, and the lack of ownership of the land meant that the claimant had no standing to bring such an action in their own name.

For the full story.. .http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It just shows how different Judges view these things, it seems this judge read the bundle and decided on the first hurdle that PE had to jump that he wasn't going to allow them to pursue their claim.

They have been producing a redacted contract or a letter from the landowner which they claimed gave them authority to pursue, fortunately this Judge did not except that this gave them the relevant authority.

However in other cases the Judges are finding in the exact opposite! What we really need is a decision made like this in a higher precedent setting court.

Unless they appeal the decision, then I doubt it will get moved up the court hierarchy.. I suspect they might not take that risk !!

I think this particular judgment and any similar ones could actually be used in other claims so judges can see what is going on in other decisions.

BCOBS

PARKING EYE: LOST IN COURT

The following was posted on MSE yesterday. For ease of reference, I have copied it in "word".

Happy reading !!!

Claim No. 3QT62646

In the: Brentford County Court 23/10/2013

Before: District Judge Jenkins

Claimant: ParkingEye Ltd – represented by Mr. Larda (sp?) of LPC Law

Defendant: Ms Anita Sharma – represented by myself

Amount Claimed: £100 Parking Charge + £50 Solicitor Costs + £25 Court Fee = £175.

The Defendant had parked at Starbucks, on the EuroGarages Heathrow site, allegedly for 1h 45mins, where the PE signage states the max stay time is 1h 30m.

We had prepared a defence, which essentially relied on three key points:

The planning consent for the site (redeveloped in 2012) included a statement from the building consultants that parking would be restricted to 2 hours. The landowner, and/or PE, were therefore breaching those conditions by reducing it to 1.5 hours, and the court had a duty not to allow them to benefit from such illegality under the ex turpi causa rule.

The camera pictures only showed the vehicle at the very edge of the give way line on to the main road, and the defendant had given a statement that she had to queue for a long time to leave the premises. There was, therefore, no actual evidence that she had parked for longer than 1.5 hours.

The claim was for damages arising from breach of contract, but the claimant had not shown how the actions of the defendant had caused a loss, or genuine pre-estimate of loss, to PE.

We assembled at Brentford court shortly before 10am, and then Mr Larda turned up at 10:05. He asked if I was involved in the “Private Eye” case. I said do you mean the satirical magazine, and he eventually got his names right.

He then wanted to hand me two documents, one of which was a further Reply to Defence, attempting to rebut our reply to PE’s original Reply to Defence. This document was dated 16/10, which is 7 days before the hearing, and was never received by the defendant. He also produced a copy of a paid parking charge, from one of PE’s other car parks, which had been issued to the same vehicle at a later date. He said that this proved that the Defendant accepted liability for PE’s contractual charges.

I said that I was sure he was aware of the CPR rules which state that any documents to be relied on in a hearing, must be served on the court and the other side not later than 14 days before the hearing, and I would object to the inclusion of both those documents.

After waiting around for an hour, we were called into Court 2, a proper courtroom and not a side conference room. Judge Jenkins got us all to sit down, established who was who, and we got started.

My kids often call me Mr Grumpy, but this Judge completely redefined that description. Without any preamble, he tore into Mr Larda, asking him whether his client owned the land in question. Once it was established they didn’t, he said that he was going to strike out the claim, but if the landowner wanted to resubmit a new claim in his own name, they could.

At this point, it might have been prudent for the other side to accept that decision, and go away to resubmit a new claim jointly between the landowner and PE. But Mr Larda decided to argue the toss, and waved in front of the Judge a copy of the contract between EuroGarages and PE.

The judge said that contract was a commercial matter between PE and the landowner, and didn’t create any contractual relationship with motorists who used the car park. Mr Larda then started citing Fairlie v Fenton, claiming that it was a case which established that an agent had the right to take legal action in their own name. The Judge asked if he had a transcript of the case – Errr No, was the reply, and the Judge said he wasn’t interested in hearsay about cases which happened in other courts, he was only concerned with this claim in this court.

Undeterred, Mr Larda ploughed on, saying that he disagreed with the Judge’s view of the legal position, and that PE’s claims had been accepted as valid, and cases won, in courts “all over the land”. Again, the Judge asked if he had any transcripts, and again there were none. By this time, the Judge was looking at Mr Larda as if he was wishing we still had capital punishment in this country, and he could reach for his black cap.

At one point, I thought Mr Larda had finished speaking, and was going to jump in and say that, in any case, there were serious contradictory terms in that landowner contract which would render it invalid, but when the Judge barked “Don’t interrupt!”, I kept quiet.

The Judge then announced that, in his opinion, a contractual arrangement to manage parking does not give rise to a cause of action to claim for damages, and the lack of ownership of the land meant that the claimant had no standing to bring such an action in their own name. He was therefore going to dismiss the claim, and wrote copious notes which he said would appear in the written Judgment.

Mr Larda immediately stated that they wished to appeal. The Judge, now looking even more thunderous, said that he would refuse permission to appeal, on the basis that such an appeal would have little realistic prospect of success.

I then asked if the Defendant could be awarded her costs, which we had already submitted in our court bundle. He asked the Defendant whether she had taken the day off work, and what her lost earnings were, but unfortunately she gave a completely different figure from the one I’d put down. So the Judge said that if he had two different amounts, one on paper and one given by the defendant, he wasn’t going to make any costs award at all. Disappointing, but lesson learned.

So in effect, the Judge actually followed the ruling in VCS v Ibbotson quite closely (the transcript of this was in our bundle), but he didn’t actually refer to it during his summary.

Anyway, the bullies didn’t win, so quite a good day!

Thanks for this TT, absolutely brilliant :)

BCOBS

A transcript of the judgement would be helpful too - it could be used in any other defences, bearing in mind this particular judge wanted to see transcripts of cases quoted.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Ell-enn that is being sorted off forum

:-)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

£104 awarded to the defendant, seems PE turned up with a contract dated February 2013 to manage the car park. However the alleged contravention took place in October 2012. Then they produce a witness statement supposedly giving them authority to enforce parking charges signed but not dated!

Judge was not best pleased with PE's solicitors presentation.

If there is a plus side to all these PE claims is these cockups will no doubt be noted!

So!

£104 to defendant

Plus £15 court fee

£25 hearing fee

£300 LPC law fee

At least!