John Lewis branded Ironing Board/Table

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I would welcome the advice of other CAGGER's regarding a problem with an ironing board we purchased from a John Lewis store in 2010.

After going through a number of cheaper ironing boards, we decided that the one own-branded item looked very sturdy and was built to last. Unfortunately not, though... it collapsed on me yesterday due to the weld joining the board to the legs completely failing.

Here's the item:

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-circles-ironing-board-l135-x-w46cm/p231402952

As you can see, it was not a cheap product. It's currently 80 GPB, we bought it for 75.

I've called John Lewis to complain about it and that my expectations regarding the price and solid-looking construction have not been fulfilled. I had hoped that such an item would last longer than this.

At the moment they are falling back on the 2 year guarantee, and as it is outside of that time, the most they would be willing to offer is store vouchers to the value of 35 GBP. They state that there have not been any other failures of this product, certainly within the same batch.

Do you think this is a reasonable offer? I know that JL tends to be good when it comes to customer service, in some cases better than a lot of retailers out there, but I am still disappointed that such an expensive purchase has failed so soon.

Thanks. :-)

ftolad v. Lowell - Statute Barred letter - * WON *

ftolad v. Scotcall - CCA'd, no agreement - * WON *

ftolad v. Mac Hall:

Still ongoing, official complaints procedure requested - 14 days to comply before TS, OFT and FOS.

All thanks to advice from CAG. :)

John Lewis is normally very good.

They are wrong to emphasise the guarantee over your statutory rights but apart from that it seems to me that their offer is very decent and very reasonable.

At most under statute they would be required to refund you less a portion for the three years use you have had from the product. They have offered you about half of the price which means that there is a calculation that you would have 6 years use.

I can't imagine any other company make such a generous offer and so easily.

I would take it and keep on shopping at John Lewis, because you won't get this kind of service anywhere else

From what I can see it could be the same manufacturers that make these selling for £29.99 http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/7318-mode-home-living-premium-ironing-board.aspx.

Wow, the mark up JL has applied is unbelievable. Ask them for cash and buy this.

That's quite a find! Thanks for taking the time to look that up. I doubt JL will go for cash, preferring me to spend money in-store, but it would be interesting to mention this when speaking to them. Thanks again, kabukiman. :-)

ftolad v. Lowell - Statute Barred letter - * WON *

ftolad v. Scotcall - CCA'd, no agreement - * WON *

ftolad v. Mac Hall:

Still ongoing, official complaints procedure requested - 14 days to comply before TS, OFT and FOS.

All thanks to advice from CAG. :)

Ask JL to do a price match and stay with them

Welding does not fail if done properly, I would expect around 20 years (or more), from an ironing board. I would demand a replacement of like.

My betting is that you talked to a call centre operator and not a JL employee with authority to do a deal. As mentioned earlier, JL are usually very good and pride themselves on their customer service.

Drop the CEO an email and see what comes back [email protected]

Thyere are 2 aspects to this, you have had 3 years use of the ironing board so you are not entitled to a refund ornew replacement but you dont expect a weld to fail withoutan underlying cause. Is it a weld that undergoes a cylclical movement or loading when putting it up or movement from the activity of ironing itself or is it in a position that would merely brace other stress bearing parts. Metal fatigue due to use is unavoidable eventually but the position of the failed weld would determine whether there was a faulty weld to begin with and if there was then it is called a latent fault, which is down to the manufacturer.

I would chade JL for a voucher for £40 as a suitable consideration becuase you have no absolute right for them to offer anything at all but that sum would allow you to get a suitable alternative.

I agree with Coniff years is totally wrong an item like this should be expected to last 10-20 years . I seem to remember reading that JL often buy large quantities of goods from the 3rd world (special buys) but the items are not that special.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I agree that there is a deduction for 'enjoyment', and I might have been a little presumptive with the welding, if it is spot welding, that doesn't have the same quality or strength as sheet welding, but it is still a manufacturing fault unless, of course, you have treated it in a manner not expected of an ironing board.

I think I might also contact the maker as well.