Student with CCJ : How to keep my money safe?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All.

I'm hoping someone can help.

Before I started university, I racked up some debt, which as a course of being unable to repay, I was issued a CCJ at the the beginning of the this year, by the debt collection agency that the debt was passed on to.

I start a summer job next week, which will contribute towards my living costs as being a student. I will also be getting my student loan in September.

After researching that DCA's can freeze bank accounts, I am worried that the money I earn as well as the money I receive in my student loan will be frozen.

I recently opened a basic account and I am wondering how the DCA will find this account.

It's putting me under a lot of stress and I'm literally considering withdrawing every penny as soon as it hits the account just o avoid this.

Can you guys offer me any advice please?

Cheers in advance.

They probably will not find out about the other a/c, as that is what I have done. They might see it on your credit rating, but my bank told me for a basic bank a/c they do not do a credit search...

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

Freezing an account isn't as easy as you make it sound, they have to go to court and have a good reason, enough to convince a judge that it should be frozen.

How much is your debt ?

Freezing an account isn't as easy as you make it sound, they have to go to court and have a good reason, enough to convince a judge that it should be frozen.

How much is your debt ?

The CCJ is for just over £3000.

Then they wont touch the other account. Chances are teh DCA wont even contact you again about the debt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Just have a basic bank account somewhere which is not subject to credit searches and use that.

Have you checked whether the student loan people do checks for CCJ's before they sign off on the loans ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just have a basic bank account somewhere which is not subject to credit searches and use that.

Have you checked whether the student loan people do checks for CCJ's before they sign off on the loans ?

The student loan people don't do credit checks no, as it is income based.

Well yes I have a basic account, which I've had since April. When I recently checked my credit report online, it stated that the bank did run a credit check on me (in the section where it says which companies have recently run checks on you) , so the name of the bank will be linked on my file I guess :sad:

The student loan people don't do credit checks no, as it is income based.

Well yes I have a basic account, which I've had since April. When I recently checked my credit report online, it stated that the bank did run a credit check on me (in the section where it says which companies have recently run checks on you) , so the name of the bank will be linked on my file I guess :sad:

Some of the checks are sometimes called 'soft' checks, which are not actual credit searches, but are simply done for the purpose of checking identity. If this is the case, it would not be visable to others.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes it appears it could of been a soft check in that case.

The other thing I heard was that the DCA can submit a general search with all the banks and the banks inform the DCA if the debtor has any accounts with them?

Sorry about all the questions!

The other thing I heard was that the DCA can submit a general search with all the banks and the banks inform the DCA if the debtor has any accounts with them?

Nope. That wont happen.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I fyou are unsure, never listen to word of mouth. Simply come and post your questions on CAG and people can give you a definite answer.

Yes it appears it could of been a soft check in that case.

Sorry about all the questions!

DCA's don't have any powers. They can do credit searches, as can many different entities. The only powers they can possibly have are via a court judgement. So they would have to make a relevant application to the court and you would be advised so you could deal with it.

Can I suggest that you contact National Debtline or the Stepchange debt charity about your situation. They might suggest ways of dealing with any debts that you have, so they are not a long term issue or won't bite you on the backside when not expecting it.

where are you getting all the bunkum from!!

NO-one can arrest your bank account for a CCJ.

tell us the full story please

and I pray this is not LINK financial is it??

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

where are you getting all the bunkum from!!

NO-one can arrest your bank account for a CCJ.

tell us the full story please

and I pray this is not LINK financial is it??

dx

Hi.

No it's not LINK Financial. Well when you say no one, the DCA can obtain a third party debt order now I have the CCJ right?

What details do you need to know? :-)

never heard of that happening here ever.

you are reading far too deeply.

tell us the story of the debt please

dx

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

See this Citizens Advice guide on third party debt orders.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/debt_w/debt_action_your_creditor_can_take_e/creditor_takes_money_from_your_bank_account.htm

If you are getting a student loan paid to an account, I think you could argue about this being touched, because this is purely to help you as a student. Taking from this would be in my opinion found by a court to be unreasonable and could cause hardship. On the otherhand if you have a part-time job, you would probably have to make payments from this, if ordered to do so by a court.

You really should call National Debtline to talk to them about this. They might suggest contacting the claimant to advise of your circumstances, that you are a student and do not have the means to be able to pay more than say £5 a month. If you then pay £5 a month which the claimant is happy with, then you at least you don't have the worries about any further court enforcement. But obviously paying regularly does mean that any statute of limitation barring is kicked into the future and you will have the remaining debt still to be settled. Perhaps talking through your options with National Debtline is going to be the best thing for you to do.

Well im surprised because the DCA are legally allowed to enforce this apparently once they have the CCJ.

Well the debt is a credit card debt from 3 years ago.

I went travelling and buried my head in the sand,

came back and started university,

obviously I moved address so didn't receive anything in the post.

I checked my credit report a couple of months ago and saw the CCJ sitting there.

Name and shame the DCA. If you never recieved the claim forms, getting rid of the CCJ is pretty easy.

recieved...

dx

and they

Name and shame the DCA. If you never recieved the claim forms, getting rid of the CCJ is pretty easy.

yep you really must front this

who was the creditor

give us the full rundown.

they got the CCJ by the backdoor

do you really think they'll

then try to arrest your money..

me thinks not.

they'll get hammered in court when the truth comes out if they try.

complete history please

dx

and they