• Tweets

• Hi All. My other halfs car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the begining of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, howver said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online.   She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. Unfortunately, as we where travelling we missed all the post until last week. We recievd a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehcile and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she respons by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i dug out the documents and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped. Is this possible to appeal?
    • worthy to not forget Just to let you know this bunch Kensington have been fined £1.225m by the financial regulator for treating borrowers who were in arrears unfairly. Claim those charges back plus the interest and tell them not to add any more to the account. There are a few news stories here you can get the info for a letter to send to them. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8615870.stm  
    • Hi All. I went to visit a family friend in Rochdale on a new housing estate opposite a old row of houses. The location is Royle Road, Postcode OL11 3PE. I was originally parked in parking bays outside the old houses, then moved the car, when I noticed my tyre was flat, so parked on what looked like double yellows to use his air pump to check and inflate the tyres before we left the house.   In the time i went inside to sort the pump and power supply i got a PCN.  The tyre then got changed (has a puncture) and we left. PCN Number:         RE######## Date:             04/05/2024 Time:             20:36 Observation:         20:34 to 20:36 Reported location:     Royle Park Road Reason:        Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours (Code: 01) I believe this PCN is not correct and has grounds to appeal: 1. My friend who moved into the property around 6 months ago, swears that even though it has old double yellows marked, they are not current or council marked.   He said the property development company had said they had marked them for ease of access during development. 2. The road i was parked on was Royle Road.  The PCN was issued for Royle Park Road, which is about 400 yards up the road. 3. There are no sign posts or marking showing parking  restriction hours in the entire area (there maybe on Royle park Road). I have attached a map of the Location where i parked as a red dot. I have 2 questions: a.  Is there a way to check where double yellow lines are marked on some register to check if they are current? b. Can my grounds of appeal simply be, wrong location, wrong offence? Thanks in advance. Map_20240505.pdf
    • you made it very confusing, though i doubt any of it was ever read by the delivery franchise for DPD. your saving grace might well be you didn't select your own address (though if you are all the same postcode..??) and neither mentioned a safe space other than another neighbour. but with the actual delivery address on the parcel, it appears the driver had a choice of 3 addresses, all under the same post code with differing house numbers. so chose the label one but left it on your doorstep. play it carefully and along with the photo and the retailers requirement you should be ok.   dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Legalcare.co.uk Court Claim - **Settled at Mediation**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you so much, I am very grateful for the help and advice I have received so far. I have returned the Acknowledgement of Claim which gives me until 22nd so I plan to file the defence early this week.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Danielle,

If you want the final defence checked, post it here first before sending.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks, this is what I have... I have taken a lot of what has been advised here but also from advice that I have received privately. I have also added one or two bits of my own.

I would be happy to add/remove or change anything else if that is advised. Thank You.

The defendant does not owe the claimant any money. I used a free trial offer and cancelled through PayPal the same day. The cancellation was properly brought to the notice of the claimant through Paypal's own system.

The ruling in the High Court case of The OFT v Ashbourne Management Services Ltd makes reference to acceptable means of cancellation of membership or subscription and precedents made in that case will be relied upon by the defendant.

If this was a contract then no cooling off period was offered, this is not the same as a free trial. Furthermore, the fee for cancellation is disproportionate under the UTCCR. There are similar complaints about the claimants behaviour on the internet.

Terms and Conditions regarding the cancellation policy were not very clear on the website, there was no indication of further terms during the sign up process that differentiate from the main website terms and conditions. Since making complaints stating as such to the CEO Paul Careless, changes have been made to the Legal Care website, highlighting that the Terms & Conditions were not clear when I signed up for the free trial.

I suggest a few tweaks :-

The defendant does not owe the claimant any money. I used a free trial offer and cancelled through paypal the same day. The cancellation was properly brought to the notice of the claimant through Paypal's own system.

The ruling in the High Court case of The OFT v Ashbourne Management Services Ltd makes reference to acceptable means of cancellation of membership or subscription and precedents made in that case will be relied upon by the defendant.

If this was a contract, no cooling off period was offered and this is not the same as a free trial.

The fee for cancellation is disproportionate under the UTCCR and there are similar complaints about the claimants behaviour on the internet.

Terms and Conditions regarding the cancellation policy were not clear on the claimant's website. There was no indication that further terms and conditions, additional to those visible during the sign up process, applied to the cancellation process.

Since complaining to the CEO of the claimant company, changes have been made to the Legal Care website and the defendant suggests that no such changes would have been made if the claimant considered their terms and conditions to be easily accessible and fair to customers.

Do you think that conveys your thoughts and answers the claimants claims as you wish.

:wink:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Danielle,

The claimant will be informed that you have acknowledged and defended the claim.

The court will issue Directions Questionnaires to each party and, when these are returned to the court, the case should be transferred to your local court.

A judge will then review the case and probably issue Court Directions about how the case should proceed. I would expect this review to take place within 4 to 8 weeks but it depends on how busy both CCMCC and the local court are.

Thank you for that, much appreciated... I have read that a lot of claims don't even make it to court, do you think there are any chances Legal Care may withdraw the claim knowing that I am willing to defend it or are they likely to take it the whole way?

Hi D,

Once they see you are defending, they may decide to drop the claim for "commercial" reasons.

However, there's little point in speculating about it and you should just deal with each stage as it unfolds.

I've received the questionnaire from the court today and I have until the 5th August to file it back with them, it mentions a mediation service, is it worth accepting this as even if they offer me a settlement I will refuse as I don't owe them anything?

Agree to mediation, so you are seen to be acting as reasonably as you can.

Today I have received a copy of Legal Care's directions questionnaire, I have also received a letter from Paul Careless asking me if I would agree to a disposal of the case without a hearing under CPR.2710 as they are based in Brighton and I am based in Stoke-on-Trent and it would be costly for them to travel.

I am not entirely sure what this means or what to do now? Does this mean they want to drop the case? Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part27#IDAJUSBB

You will find the CPR they refer to in the link above. It is simply a hearing at which neither side is present.

TBH, I would not personally like this. If the Judge wants to ask a question, then you wont be there to answer it. It is their claim and you are an individual so the hearing has to be heard in your local court.

This is a small claims hearing so costs are limited, I don't think you would be responsible for their travel costs. Perhaps they should have thought of this before issuing claims.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Given Bankfodder's interest and input in this case, I suggest we wait for his opinion about Mr Careless's desire to see this resolved quietly and without a court hearing.

I'll ask BF to drop in when able.

Edited by slick132

Don't forget that if you lose the case then you may be required to pay the other side's reasonable cost of travel.

However, if I were in a similar position, I would want to attend court and put my side and see what exactly is going on.

I think that the evidence here is sufficiently convoluted - the changes to their website etc that it would be better if the judge were taken through it all at a hearing

Given it's request, ask it if it would prefer to discontinue by consent. Tell it ( don't ask) that you would be prepared to compose the order for engrossment should it agree to file the stat fee.

In all honesty it's probably playing up for relief to costs but it won't prejudice you to serve a counter offer pre trial.

Thanks for the advice, although I have been under the impression from the start that the only costs I would have to pay, should I lose the case are those on the claim form, plus any interest.

I do wish to be present at any hearing should it go ahead. Should I respond to Paul Careless' letter informing him that I do not agree to a disposal of the case without a hearing?

I'm sorry Mike but a lot of that went straight over my head! Does this mean asking Paul Careless if he would prefer to drop the case completely? What does composing the order for engrossment mean?

Hi Danielle

Assuming you lost, yes you could get stung for costs on the indemnity basis and at fast track provisions even on the SCT, it would be unusual for such a convoluted case where the other side could be shown to be lacking candour but it would be unfair not to prepare you for the risk.

Yes to your last paragraph, drop (discontinue) the case on agreed terms (consent order) to be engrossed (agreed/signed) by both parties and filed with the stat fee £45.00 by the other side.

Ask the question, more than happy to assist you with drafting the consent if it agrees.

It could of course file for discontinuance without consent but it leaves itself open to your costs hence the offer to reduce both parties risk.

Thanks Mike, I think that this question is definitely worth asking. Does this mean that only they would have to pay £45 to discontinue the case or would I have to pay £45 too?

Put the onus on the other side to file the fee, if it wants a way out without risk of costs it should agree. If it's playing hardball it won't agree to discontinue anyway. Put the ball in its court to accept (and pay for) a way out of the mess its constructed. Only the one application/filing fee of £45.00 for the case.

Thank you so much Mike, I will get a letter written up and posted out early this week, how would I be best phrasing the question?

Do you have an email addy for it/him? Service by other than agreed medium must be agreed but anything else (mediation/ negotiation etc) may be by email and it would save on both time and costs.