Judges to explain benefit assessment decisions news

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22991447

Tribunals in London, Liverpool, Glasgow and Birmingham will offer feedback when they overturn rulings on employment and support allowance (ESA) on appeal.

Critics of the test used to determine eligibility claim it is flawed.

But ministers say 85% of decisions have been upheld on appeal since 2008.

'Learn lessons'

All those in receipt of ESA - formerly known as incapacity benefit - and new applicants are having their claims reviewed in a process begun by the last Labour government and accelerated by the coalition.

The Work Capability Assessment conducted by private contractor Atos has proved controversial, with campaigners saying that it has made too many wrong decisions which are overturned on appeal.

The explanations provided by the judges will be analysed by the Department for Work and Pensions over the summer.

Work and pensions minister Esther McVey said: "With recent changes to disability benefits we need to make sure the appeals process is transparent and working well.

"We will use this information to learn lessons and improve the standard of decision-making and appeals processes. It will also be helpful for claimants to understand why an appeal has been allowed or dismissed."

Edited by time4change2
added text

"We will use this information to learn lessons and improve the standard of decision-making and appeals processes. It will also be helpful for claimants to understand why an appeal has been allowed or dismissedlink3.gif

No they won't, they will use the information as reference framework to make the WCA even more difficult to pass.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I am now going to put the cat amongst the pigeons on this and question the authenticity of this story

The Contempt of Court Act 1981

prohibits asking members of the jury on how they reached their decision. I realize i have mentioned jury but a jury is a form of a tribunal, and tribunals in themselves are covered under

The Tribunal’s Court and Enforcement Act 2007

The jury is a judicial tribunal

It is important to take account of the fact that a jury is a judicial tribunal, and is expected to conform to judicial standards.

Lord Devlin (Trial by Jury, 1956)

A lack of impartiality would be a classic case requiring such action to be taken

So may i ask how a Tribunal can release, and make their decisions public??

The story is very misleading as it states:

Judges in England and Scotland are being asked to explain why they believe someone is unfit to work,

"Can they lawfully release that information"

And who are asking the judges??

i am making observations on this matter and not stating fact, and my conclusions are based on my own opinion

Edited by postggj

That is exactly my point, seems Irritable bowel Syndrome must be now getting worried on all those successful appeals

Just putting the seeds of objectivity into peoples minds by the DWP, but based on nothing but hot air

Work and pensions minister Esther McVey said: "With recent changes to disability benefits we need to make sure the appeals process is transparent and working well.

WELL I THOUGHT IAN DUNCAN SMITH WAS THE MINISTER RESPONSIBLE FOR WORK AND PENSIONS

Esther McVey Is the minister for the disabled, not work and pensions

This whole report and link from the BBC is nothing short of factual inaccuracies and subjective comments

Shame on you BBC for putting out this propaganda