When can landlord reference become unacceptable

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Friends,

Will landlord's reference always be considered truthful ? That gives the landlord a good way to blackmail tenants.

My old LL did not protect my deposit. Isn't that good enough a reason to ignore such landlord's reference. What is the validity of reference from a person who himself is on wrong side of law?

Are there any regulations/directives around this?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Any reference the LL provides must be truthful. A LL can also refuse to give a reference.

Since the reference is about you as a tenant, it is doubtful whether a new LL would put any weight on the LL's lack of deposit protection. However, I would think that a new LL would think that perhaps a tenant drawing his attention to that negative about the LL might be a tenant that will be trouble in the future and any such LL might take that into consideration when reading anything the old LL has written in the reference.

So ultimately it may have a negative impact on you if you make reference to the previous LL's lack of deposit protection in order to try to counteract a bad reference.

Well if the new LL does want to let the property to me, he can deny the tenancy and in which case the holding deposit should be returned. Isn't it?

How can someone ( Agency, in this case ) keep holding deposit (which is a hefty £350 ) just because my Landlord has a certain opinion about me.

Does the agency not have a duty to give me an opportunity to explain any issue LL raises, before denying tenancy and retaining the holding deposit? Moreover the Agency never told me what kind of opinion they will seek from my landlord?

You should stick to one thread if it is about the same property so that people can see the whole story and not just part of it.

My comments above stand despite your additional questions.

The maxim is the previous LL cannot lie, nor does he have to disclose anything, unless specifically questioned. Even then many referees are adept at giving coded replies.

Most LA/LLs will not take prev LL ref in isolation but look to employer refs and mainly credit check to compare with the info on your application form.

Neither do you have the right to see any refs provided to LA.

Normally a holding deposit would be refundable if T refused, but not ifapplicant provided false info or failed to declare material facts eg failed to disclose a CCJ when asked. IMO

Lea, OP may not relate to previous property, more like a Star Wars sequel IMO where previous OPs are relevent!

Edited by mariner51

Thanks Mariner for the reply, Yes there is no CCJ against me as I passed the credit check through another agency. The employer reference was good and as per the facts I gave the Agents. Still they refused not only tenancy but also the holding deposit. They made absolutely no attempt to get any clarification from me, even indirectly. In fact the current landlord was ready to sign a new one year contract with me. Anyway, I have raised this as a complaint with them and waiting to see their side of story. Anyway many thanks for bringing this new perspective to my case that that reference from LL cannot be taken in isolation.

Also, I have left my old place on 07-June. What should I do to get my deposit back? I have gone to DPS and initiated my claim? Anything else I need to do?

I do not want to talk/email/letter my landlord unless it is legally required?

"..that that reference from LL cannot be taken in isolation."

I did not say that

What I did say was "Most LA/LLs will not take prev LL ref in isolation,"

Any LL/LA can reject you as prosp T for any reason, without informing you of the reason or givving you the right of reply.

Where are you living after 7 June?

Thanks Mariner, What I understand is "The LL reference should not be taken in isolation". That is right? What I meant is that it quite a valid point that I can make in my favor in the complaint.

I am moving to a PG after 07-June.

Coming back to my question: What all I need to do to get my deposit back? I have initiated my claim at DPS using my repayment-id? Anything else I need to do?

Hello All, Please look into my question. Its a bit urgent and important for me.

The inventory was done on 08-June. I put my signatures on the final report and they said that the report will be sent to me by email for to check and raise any dispute. However I have not received the final report yet. The LL had paid for the check-out report.

Can it give the LL ability to raise issues/claims later if there is no closing report signed by me? Should I chase and get the final report? Please advise.

Many Thanks in advance for this.

Hello Mariner, Can you please reply to my question. I really need answer to this question to keep myself on safe side.

Hello there.

You've asked a few questions in posts #8 and #9. Which one do you mean please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there.

You've asked a few questions in posts #8 and #9. Which one do you mean please?

HB

Thanks HoneyBee,

Both questions are important. So will be thankful for any question answered. I want to settle amicably with LL but want to be safe.

How many days after end of tenancy can LL bring a counterclaim of damages, if at all?

Edited by gsc-cert

Hey Everybody, Just to inform you that I managed to get the Agency to refund my holding deposit. Mariner, your suggestion that Landlord's reference cannot be seen in isolation really worked. They agreed to refund, though with £50 less, which I forgo to settle the matter soon.